No announcement yet.

Where there was one, now there are two.... a M42 318i for the boy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

great thread and progress. I almost went with MTC but went with used OEM until budget allowed, this helped me feel ok with that decision

Comment

I love that Bilstein keychain.

Enjoying the progress man! It's nice to see a "budget" Jordan build.
      I do things.

Comment

I was in Seattle for the last four days on business, and one of my techs at the shop got the tires mounted and the wheels on the car, bled the clutch/brakes, and knocked out the alignment while I was gone. Car is coming right along...

Now that the dry rotted, choppy/cupped tires are gone and the vehicle has a functional muffler it *sounds* like it needs one or more rear wheel bearings. I'll chuck the car on the lift tonight and see if I can determine which wheel bearing, if not both, or potentially the differential is the source of that noise.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
        https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

With all the wonderful staged photos you share with us, you couldnt line up the cars in some sort of chassis evolution??! haha (I understand that yours is a 5-series, but still)

Car is coming along great though, I like those wheels on it
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

No white E36's on premises although the thought did cross my mind, I'm rather busy today having been away for four days and I snapped the front row pictures in passing while going about business, I didn't park any of them there :-)

Comment

Got a little bit of work done today on the car, although the day was cut short by incorrect and mismanufacturer parts from certain vendors...

Drivers door lock cylinder was exchanged for the freshly built one so now all keyed cylinders on the vehicle match and there is no longer a 2nd key for just the drivers door.

I also installed the used door lock actuator on the passenger rear door that Guten Parts sent over, and like that now the central locking is 100% functional again.

Doubling down on the central locking I installed a cheap keyless entry system on the vehicle. No pictures of the install but it was pretty straight forward with only four wire connections to make to the car.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wanting to get the AC working as well as possible I elected to replace the R12 serpentine condenser for a Nissens parallel flow unit that is suitable for R134, along with installing a R134 expansion valve (judging from patina) it appears to be the original R12 TCD still installed.... and toss a new receiver drier in while I'm at it.

This project ended up being a double kick to the balls as the vendor both sent me the wrong drier (for 84-85 M10 318i) and sent me a Nissens condenser that had been manufactured wrong with the lower bracket in the wrong place... compounding that the lower fitting threads were boogered up and no matter how I tried the line nut refused to start. Even on the bench I couldn't get it to start and ended up wrecking the first two threads in the process before I pretty much rage quit the task for the day. I HATE aftermarket junk, but alas there is no factory parallel flow option..

I then took a moment to bend the mounting brackets tig welded to the Stromung muffler can with some 4ft long Knipex cobra pliars so it would actually sit centered in the valance cutout and stop whacking the sheet metal constantly (more aftermarket junk)

I had Nick jump up in the cabin and hold the revs at 2.5k with the car in gear, in the air so I could listen for a suspected wheel bearing, and that was quickly confirmed. The left rear wheel bearing is completely smoked, but the right rear seems OK for now. This is be a project for next weekend.
              Last edited by Jordan; 09-21-2019, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Had the exact same problem with the Nissens condenser i just instaled. That entire bottom angled piece with the bracket attached is mounted upside down. I tried unscrewing the two bottom nuts to flip it the right way, and the stud is aluminum so rather than loosening the nut the stud just broke right off. Very frustrating.
                '86 325e Zinnoberrot /// '02 325ci Schwarz II /// '18 M4 Azurite Black Metallic ///

Albie325 Build Thread | Albie325 COTM Jan 2021

Comment

Enjoyed reading up to date, nice methodical approach unlike so many.

Comment

Jordan, I notice that this car as a similar issue as mine with the front bumper cover not lining up exactly with the wheel well arch. any idea why this is happening? I had to do some work on the brackets themselves because there are some little tabs that prevented that extra little amount of difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Albie325 View Post
                      Had the exact same problem with the Nissens condenser i just instaled. That entire bottom angled piece with the bracket attached is mounted upside down. I tried unscrewing the two bottom nuts to flip it the right way, and the stud is aluminum so rather than loosening the nut the stud just broke right off. Very frustrating.
                      Yes, I attempted to loosen the 13mm nut first but noticed the stud was moving with the nut and elected to go ahead and stop that one. Hopefully the replacement which will be here tomorrow isn't jacked up too.

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
                      Jordan, I notice that this car as a similar issue as mine with the front bumper cover not lining up exactly with the wheel well arch. any idea why this is happening? I had to do some work on the brackets themselves because there are some little tabs that prevented that extra little amount of difference.
                      This car has been wrecked front and rear and repaired by someone fast and dirty. I suspect that is the issue in my cars case. The entire core support has been changed on this car, the valance is not original either and its also bent a bit above the bumper which is partially broken too. All little stuff that is of no real concern since its going to be given to a teenage boy that will no doubt R3V it in customary fashion.

Comment

Ok, that actually kind of gives me some good information to use. I have taken the valence off my car and few times and I can only imagine putting it back on needs to be done with attention and I simply slapped it back together.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan View Post
                          All little stuff that is of no real concern since its going to be given to a teenage boy that will no doubt R3V it in customary fashion.
                          Lets hope for a spectacular fashion rather than just a customary fashion

Simon
                          Current Cars:
                          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

All little stuff that is of no real concern since its going to be given to a teenage boy that will no doubt R3V it in customary fashion.

Coming along nicely!
                            ------------------------------------------------------
                            1982 528e - Sold
                            1987 325e - Totalled
                            1990 325is - Sold
                            1997 540i6 - Sold
                            1991 325ic - Sold
                            2013 335i - Sold
                            2005 X5 - Daily
                            1991 318is - *work in progress*

Comment

Replacement Nissens 97142 condenser arrived today, checked it and immediately refused it. Incorrectly manufactured just like the first one.... now ordering a 3rd from another vendor to test my luck over there.

I would recommend no one buys the Nissens 97142 right now until they get their shit together and recall the bad parts in their distribution network.

Comment

Replacement Nissens 97142 condenser arrived today, checked it and immediately refused it. Incorrectly manufactured just like the first one.... now ordering a 3rd from another vendor to test my luck over there.

I would recommend no one buys the Nissens 97142 right now until they get their shit together and recall the bad parts in their distribution network.
                                Bit of a shame that you've had no luck with it, I purchased mine about a year ago and it fit perfect.
                                IG: https://www.instagram.com/josh.stacey/
                                Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/133952286@N03/

Comment

Working...
                                X