1993 Rx7 + Tesla Motor

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 2mAn
    replied
    Originally posted by rjmcdermott81

    I’ve thought more about the rx7. I met my hero and it didn’t work out, but If I still wanted one… what would I do? The rotary is cool, but it wasn’t practical for me. I couldn’t take my wife out in it because the one time we did we both smelled like fuel afterward. I don’t think an LS swap would keep the character of the car (high revving). I had an AP1 s2000 and I loved that 9k redline and the perfect 6 speed. I think an NA swapped f20c/k24 would be perfect in this car. If I did it again, that’s the route I would take. Kswap with the s2000 6-speed.
    one thing I’ve found with the revolving door of cars is that there are certain things that I think are important and some have lost their attraction. For me, the actual speed VS sensation of speed is the biggest thing that drove me back to a smaller, lighter car. Interaction points (shifter, steering feedback, pedals) and then the exhaust note are the paramount items. This is where the irritation came from with the aircooled 911s for me. They are my hero car but I think it’s a hero I don’t want to meet. If I had six figures for one, maybe but then there are better cars for the money.

    The f20c and speed was actually my ultimate drivetrain swap into a Lotus Elan. Thing would be fast OUTSIDE of Vtec, and when you want/need stupid speed, let er rip into vtec. The power of weighing over 1000# less than the s2000.


    Leave a comment:


  • rjmcdermott81
    replied
    Originally posted by 2mAn
    How do you feel about the result?

    Is the buyer taking the original motor? If not selling that separately could get you to a different nice overall result
    Now that the car is fully picked up and buyer is happy. Here is my take.


    Im very happy with the what I got for the car. Plus I’ll sell the parts for another 8-10k. I’m good. Definitely I spent more than that, but the experience of the project was super fun and worth every penny.

    the buyer had priced out a conversion. These conversions are insane… a shop would charge 100k and you have to bring the car. Total non-starter unless you have a sentimental attachment. This is a good deal - a roller in this condition is 20k easy.

    The important part - I wouldn’t EV convert a car again unless it was meant to do what people in my neighborhood use golf carts for. Think old jeep, scout, etc. on a nice day, you hop in and take the kids to school. People think of their teslas like golf carts for a reason. They are boring AF. It doesn’t matter how fast a Tesla does 0-60. It’s boring.

    I’ve thought more about the rx7. I met my hero and it didn’t work out, but If I still wanted one… what would I do? The rotary is cool, but it wasn’t practical for me. I couldn’t take my wife out in it because the one time we did we both smelled like fuel afterward. I don’t think an LS swap would keep the character of the car (high revving). I had an AP1 s2000 and I loved that 9k redline and the perfect 6 speed. I think an NA swapped f20c/k24 would be perfect in this car. If I did it again, that’s the route I would take. Kswap with the s2000 6-speed.

    Leave a comment:


  • 2mAn
    replied
    How do you feel about the result?

    Is the buyer taking the original motor? If not selling that separately could get you to a nice overall result

    Leave a comment:


  • rjmcdermott81
    replied
    Thanks for the bump on the auction 2mAn! Gave it some extra street cred. Buyer picks up tomorrow. Happy times.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	72
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	10139557​

    Leave a comment:


  • varg
    replied
    Ha, the EV stuff definitely isn't to my taste, but I'm just glad you didn't totally ruin the car by putting some horrible body kit on it which seems to be like 50% of RX7 builds. That would get negative comments from me. You're already miles ahead of builds like the pistachio RX7 which not only looks awful but overplays its hand by being repeatedly referred to as having a pagani engine (it's just a modified M120, it's like saying an LM7 is a ZR1 engine) and it doesn't even run.

    Leave a comment:


  • 2mAn
    replied
    *you're

    both of those flagged comments have several likes also LMAO

    Leave a comment:


  • MrBurgundy
    replied
    LOL

    sucked into a rip current is crazy

    Leave a comment:


  • rjmcdermott81
    replied
    Originally posted by MrBurgundy
    So far its widely well received. Curious to see the final price.

    Guesses?
    I could see it landing a little over 20, or over 40... seems to have great momentum but I'm interested to see who will show up. I dug up my invoices for the electronics and posted them on the auction. Just in that I have at least 30k. Then what I paid to get a running car which was 19k. I'm not looking to make money here, just pay off my i8.

    I enjoyed the project and the challenge and I have no regrets.

    If you want to see creative ways people will wish you dead...the auction is good for some chuckles :). I love this stuff.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0586 (1).png
Views:	94
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	10139386

    Leave a comment:


  • MrBurgundy
    replied
    So far its widely well received. Curious to see the final price.

    Guesses?

    Leave a comment:


  • rjmcdermott81
    replied
    We are live on Cars & Bids. Auction ends on Monday!
    There will be some fun commentary on there :)
    https://carsandbids.com/auctions/rbm...993-mazda-rx-7​

    Leave a comment:


  • 2mAn
    replied
    Looks like a well sorted car... but I couldnt understand what the tach was doing. Was that throttle?

    Leave a comment:


  • varg
    replied
    Looks damn good.

    Leave a comment:


  • rjmcdermott81
    replied
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0180.jpg Views:	0 Size:	204.1 KB ID:	10138633

    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0245.jpg Views:	0 Size:	206.2 KB ID:	10138634

    Leave a comment:


  • rjmcdermott81
    replied
    Originally posted by MrBurgundy
    Very impressive build.

    Only thing missing is a rotary

    har har har

    There is def someone who wants this exact type of FD and will pay $$$$$ for it.
    Taking BaT pictures next week. I’ll let y’all know when it goes up.

    Leave a comment:


  • MrBurgundy
    replied
    Very impressive build.

    Only thing missing is a rotary

    har har har

    There is def someone who wants this exact type of FD and will pay $$$$$ for it.

    Leave a comment:

Working...