1993 Rx7 + Tesla Motor

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 2mAn
    replied
    Originally posted by rjmcdermott81

    There is a tradeoff with the swap for sure... It doesn't brap brap brap anymore. Just depends on what you want. I don't think I would do it again, but the auto stock setup is so f'ng slow... boring to drive. Now you hop in, take off at full blitz to the store, come home. No warmup, no stinky smell, no cooldown. Beautiful car that is dead reliable, smoking fast, and easy.
    ​... no rotary ticking time bomb lol...

    Leave a comment:


  • rjmcdermott81
    replied
    Originally posted by econti
    Fresh Montego blue? I am bricked up, favourite colour they came in. Be real with you, hate the tesla motor idea, but at least it was only an auto and its getting a new lease on life.
    I had to google "bricked up" :). There is a tradeoff with the swap for sure... It doesn't brap brap brap anymore. Just depends on what you want. I don't think I would do it again, but the auto stock setup is so f'ng slow... boring to drive. Now you hop in, take off at full blitz to the store, come home. No warmup, no stinky smell, no cooldown. Beautiful car that is dead reliable, smoking fast, and easy.
    Last edited by rjmcdermott81; 04-24-2025, 08:32 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • econti
    replied
    Fresh Montego blue? I am bricked up, favourite colour they came in. Be real with you, hate the tesla motor idea, but at least it was only an auto and its getting a new lease on life.

    Leave a comment:


  • rjmcdermott81
    replied
    Getting there.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9744.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	226.0 KB
ID:	10138412

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9741.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	206.7 KB
ID:	10138413

    Leave a comment:


  • rjmcdermott81
    replied
    Getting it all together. Touching little pieces up as I go. Restoring the black, polishing the lights.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9720.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	10138407

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9721.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	180.2 KB
ID:	10138408


    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9723.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	202.6 KB
ID:	10138409

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9739.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	200.3 KB
ID:	10138410




    Leave a comment:


  • rjmcdermott81
    replied
    Originally posted by 2mAn
    Looks like it moved from the driveway to a professional location. Did you do all the prep and deliver or are you painting it too?
    Yes sir. I got it all ready to shoot and then had a pro do it. I want to get it up for sale so I wanted it to be perfect.

    Picking it up
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Paint pickup loaded front.png
Views:	92
Size:	197.4 KB
ID:	10138290

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Paint pickup loaded.png
Views:	83
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	10138291

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Paint pickup green closeup.png
Views:	83
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	10138292

    Leave a comment:


  • 2mAn
    replied
    Looks like it moved from the driveway to a professional location. Did you do all the prep and deliver or are you painting it too?

    Leave a comment:


  • rjmcdermott81
    replied
    Dropping it off for final paint.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9641 (1).jpg
Views:	114
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	10138083
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9642.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	10138084

    Leave a comment:


  • rjmcdermott81
    replied
    Blocked and ready for a second round of primer. She’s straight as an arrow.

    Leave a comment:


  • rjmcdermott81
    replied
    2k poly primer
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9389.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	10136330

    Leave a comment:


  • rjmcdermott81
    replied
    Epoxy primer! Trying SPI for the first time. Very easy to work with and liking my new garage/paint setup - good lighting, good air filtering.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9378.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	222.7 KB
ID:	10136162

    Leave a comment:


  • rjmcdermott81
    replied
    Paint prep!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9374.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	229.5 KB
ID:	10136159

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9375.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	234.9 KB
ID:	10136160

    Leave a comment:


  • rjmcdermott81
    replied
    Sadly I've never done any serious testing. Honestly, I do a quick loop on 2222 near my house, which is a fun, windy road.

    The batteries I have will easily put out 1,000 Amps, which will put down a ton of power. I expect my car to have similar performance as the TeslaBimmer that did 0-60 in the 3-4 second range. To do that test I'd have to abuse the car a bit more than I really want to.

    Leave a comment:


  • varg
    replied
    42kWh, that's smaller than I seemed to recall. Did you ever do any performance tests? Drag strip or dragy or anything? I imagine, if that battery pack can provide enough current to make full use of the Tesla motor, it is a pretty quick car. 362hp or whatever you got in the end isn't a ton, but the car is light and doesn't need to shift. I went back to the original posts and looked through and you weren't getting full boost when it was still original, that's not only not surprising but I can't imagine how slow an automatic FD feels at 6psi, I know how mine felt at 6/7psi when I forgot the restrictor pills in the wastegate lines after replacing all of the hoses and it's lighter and a manual.

    I love the FD's optional Bose setup, I kind of wish my base had one, but complete systems (the tube and associated trim and carpet, not necessarily the electronics) are hard to come by. I'm ok with having the lightest FD variant in the end and don't need a fancy stereo

    Leave a comment:


  • rjmcdermott81
    replied
    varg - Good question.
    The original weigh-in was fully kitted out, full tank of gas, full interior, etc. That Bose snake is hella heavy. I did have the weigh-in done by a pro at a speed shop.

    The second weigh-in was obviously done by myself at home. Honestly though, for the price of 3 digital scales on Amazon I think it worked pretty well. During that weigh-in it had a full interior, etc. Since then it has gained a rear seat and power steering. (it doesn't have an A/C compressor).

    I think it would be a neutral weight difference, which, to me, feels like a win.

    The car has a 42kwh lithium battery. A Tesla on the road has a 60-100 kwh, so it has roughly half the range. But it would be impossible to fit any more batteries in this small of a car without stacking them in the interior space and making it a monstrosity.

    Leave a comment:

Working...