No E30 Project '95 F-150 - Extra Credit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Reichart12 View Post
    Hey! I just received pads and rotors in the mail for my truck. Just waiting on a snow free warmish day to install. I am inspired.
    No need to wait for warm weather, just put on your swim trunks and challenge yourself to completely service the brakes before you turn in to a popsicle. You can probably do it.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post

No need to wait for warm weather, just put on your swim trunks and challenge yourself to completely service the brakes before you turn in to a popsicle. You can probably do it.
      Definitely put it on Facebook live haha... of course none of us will see it but at least we can say we knew you
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

No exciting progress of late. Ordered a pair of front calipers to solve pulling to the right under braking, and a serpentine belt for later.

Total vehicle and operating cost as of now $3357.10 after about 5500 miles of use. Interestingly, since purchase fuel prices for 87 have risen about $.80/gallon, meaning that an absolutely full fill up is now ~$30 more than it was in the middle of last year, and would now be over $100.

Comment

Replaced the brake calipers, and messed with the camber bushings some more. Looks like I had them set incorrectly after I looked at directions for a similar part since the originals came with no paperwork.

The reman calipers looked good, although all of the sliders were ever so slightly different, NBD, and I can live with that for $23 per side.

Afterwards I checked camber, then measured toe the only way I can, by pulling a tape measure from tread block to tread block, since the toe plates I have don't won't work with this truck. Result, 69-5/8" front, 69-9/16" back, nice!

Bonus of that mower I put back together is attached. Started on the second pull and took about 6 minutes to burn off all of the oil internally/diesel externally. Pretty happy since the total project cost was less than $5, and since I didn't torque anything to spec, which is how all great, long lasting engines are built.

Comment

Oof, a month without an update. It's not like things didn't break or need servicing, it is an old Ford after all...

For starters, I noticed a high idle, and after digging around the EGR flange was cracked. Ugh, might have had something to do with welding the new post catalyst in (no pics, was in a rush, will probably get some later), at least it was only $31.

By some minor miracle I was actually able to remove it without resorting to extremes. Granted, I had to use a torch, penetrant, a large hammer, a pipe wrench, and an adjustable wrench with a pipe cheater hose clamped in place, but that wasn't as bad as I was thinking it would be.

Sorted.

I also changed the oil filter, and it was icky, still lots of bits floating around from the reseal a while ago. There was also a tiny distributor adjustment to bring idle back near spec.

Rebuilt the shifter, found that the lower half of the divorced bushing/lever carrier assembly was MIA, and that the cover plate collar was totally separated, causing the oil leak. Not saying it's a sporty shift feel now, but it's better.

Now thinking about going back to check the install of the front bearings just for peace of mind.

Comment

So, the truck has been running fine. I played with ignition timing, I hauled a 4.5 tons of gravel along with 10 cubic yards of mulch (of which I have no pics!!!) and mostly ruined the shocks, but that's pretty much all until it hauled this thing home this afternoon.

Which is a 1983 Honda VT500FT Ascot that I got started a few hours after getting home. It had been sitting for 25 or so years in a shed, and now it may ride again. Startup vid if you want to see, but it's a normal V twin: https://photos.app.goo.gl/48xTxWvfQR2Fbfr99

Edit: Fixed the pic that went away.
              Last edited by roguetoaster; 06-30-2021, 07:31 PM.

Comment

So, the truck has been running fine. I played with ignition timing, I hauled a 4.5 tons of gravel along with 10 cubic yards of mulch (of which I have no pics!!!) and mostly ruined the shocks, but that's pretty much all until it hauled this thing home this afternoon.
                Can't do that with an e30. God's chariot my ass

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

I hauled a 4.5 tons of gravel along with 10 cubic yards of mulch (of which I have no pics!!!) and mostly ruined the shocks, but that's pretty much all until it hauled this thing home this afternoon.
                  ​ deducting points for a missed amazing pic...

Originally posted by Reichart12 View Post

Can't do that with an e30. God's chariot my ass
                  My friend, everyone knows the MK3 Jetta is the real Gods Chariot. Shown here carrying millions of dollars' worth of treasure

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_161295.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	10022855
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:
                  -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

​ deducting points for a missed amazing pic...
                    Yep, I was just working to get it done, but I really thought I snapped at least one truck pic. Guess I have no shot at TOTM now.

Comment

Le sigh. Tried to change the fuel filter again. Simply cannot get the quick disconnects to do anything more than slide in and out on the filter 10mm. Have tried every single QD tool from my old Matco kit that fits. My patience with this Ford is wearing thin, although I will admit that I do like the lovely air conditioning.

Comment

Finally changed the fuel filter, and even with the ends snipped off I still could not release the fuel filter nubs from the fuel line clips.

Anyway, plug read prior to filter change, looks lean, and that would make sense with the awful acceleration above 2,000RPM/above maybe 40% throttle.

Bye, bye old junk!

Hello new junk installed in a sketchy way with brass barbs!

Changed the oil and filter too, going to try some high mileage oil because it was cheap. Went with another $0.97 Denso filter from RockAuto, which is probably like $3 with shipping.

Comment

Working...
                        X