• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
    Mercedes 5cyl turbo diesel.
    ding ding ding

It's the OM617
    Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post

ding ding ding

It's the OM617
      Mmm, perpetual valve cover oil leaks, nice.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post

Mmm, perpetual valve cover oil leaks, nice.
        False, there are leak free ones. You just gotta know what you're doing ;)
        Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

The Ranger is looking good.. Been getting a lot of compliments on it too recently, especially out in the desert.

I don't remember if I mentioned, but I'll be adding a hydraulic rear handbrake to help with some hill ascents.. and to do stupid shit w.

Untitled by Omar Mountain, on Flickr

The e30 is also looking good too. Excited to take it up to Monterey for Car Week. Surprisingly, not a lot of e30s up there that week.

Comment

The e30 is also looking good too. Excited to take it up to Monterey for Car Week. Surprisingly, not a lot of e30s up there that week.

that was a great feature for May Car of the Month... oh wait... nm
            Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

False, there are leak free ones. You just gotta know what you're doing ;)
              How? The VC to head is a flat on flat mating surface at level with where oil probably pools during operation, and doesn't the VC have like 4 fasteners? IDK why they decided that was the way to go, but it seems like a design fault.

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

that was a great feature for May Car of the Month... oh wait... nm
              Still waiting on the CatOTM...

Comment

Bummed I missed this event in 2020 when I lived near Berkeley. Have been thinking of trying to make it to a future event but now it's a hefty 14 hour drive.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

How? The VC to head is a flat on flat mating surface at level with where oil probably pools during operation, and doesn't the VC have like 4 fasteners? IDK why they decided that was the way to go, but it seems like a design fault.

When people replace the VCG they'll over tighten them, so what happens is the seat of the valve cover where the bolt comes through will come down and make contact with the head, so when it's replaced again, the actual seal of the valve cover isn't being squished enough, because the seat for the bolt is already touching the head.

Easy fix with a grinder.

I fix VCG leaks all day on old Mercs with the 4 bolt set up and 9/10 have that problem..

It works fine if you don't over torque them. People will tend to do so because they only see 4 bolts.

The seal itself is actually juicy af and doesn't require much torque at all to make a great seal.

Originally posted by Reichart12 View Post

Bummed I missed this event in 2020 when I lived near Berkeley. Have been thinking of trying to make it to a future event but now it's a hefty 14 hour drive.
                  It's really a great time up there... I'll go every year I can.

Comment

Did I miss your Touring thread?

It's really a great time up there... I'll go every year I can.
                    Im going up again this year, but just for the racing. I will be camping at the track. I keep trying to plan it with my friends but their lack of responsibilities means they wait until the last minute and then bail. I missed Pikes Peak this year because I was trying to plan with them... after that happened I said f it, Im doing it my way. Bought my tickets, got my campsite and whoever goes goes... and whoever doesnt... misses out.
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:

Comment

Im going up again this year, but just for the racing. I will be camping at the track. I keep trying to plan it with my friends but their lack of responsibilities means they wait until the last minute and then bail. I missed Pikes Peak this year because I was trying to plan with them... after that happened I said f it, Im doing it my way. Bought my tickets, got my campsite and whoever goes goes... and whoever doesnt... misses out.
                      What days are you going up?

Comment

When people replace the VCG they'll over tighten them, so what happens is the seat of the valve cover where the bolt comes through will come down and make contact with the head, so when it's replaced again, the actual seal of the valve cover isn't being squished enough, because the seat for the bolt is already touching the head.

Easy fix with a grinder.

I fix VCG leaks all day on old Mercs with the 4 bolt set up and 9/10 have that problem..

It works fine if you don't over torque them. People will tend to do so because they only see 4 bolts.

The seal itself is actually juicy af and doesn't require much torque at all to make a great seal.
                        Good to know.

Yes.

Comment

What days are you going up?
                          Driving up Thursday. Planning to take the Alfa on one last trip up North with the still-chugging-along-'1400' and make that its last journey prior to installing the Twin Spark and all the fun that comes with that conversion

roguetoaster lies!
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:

Comment

Driving up Thursday. Planning to take the Alfa on one last trip up North with the still-chugging-along-'1400' and make that its last journey prior to installing the Twin Spark and all the fun that comes with that conversion

roguetoaster lies!

Thursday of the opening weekend of before the closing weekend? Maybe we can scoot up there together

Comment

Thursday of the opening weekend of before the closing weekend? Maybe we can scoot up there together
                              18th-20th. basically going to arrive after racing is done for the day, set up the campsite, get up bright and early for a full day of racing Friday
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:

Comment

Search noob: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/forum/e30-technical-forums/touring-technical-discussion/362124-an-e30-touring

Comment

Working...
                                X