Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MMM... Porsches. :)

Comment

I don't know what SCs are going for these days, but if it's anything like the rest of the Porsche market $17k might be right, although it still seems high to me. Time was, I could have had a rock solid '88 targa with superficial body damage and high miles for $8500. Those days are long gone.

I'd be willing to bet there's an easy $10k in work on that SC well before the finish line (paying a shop to work on it). Even with the Porsche market on fire like it is, I think you'd be ahead of the game by upping your budget by at least that amount.

Then again, assuming the market keeps climbing and doesn't ultimately collapse, this might be looked back at as a steal in a few years. Personally, I think the bubble is going to burst eventually.
      '84 318i - Lapisblau/Schwarz (in cryosleep)
      '06 330i - Titansilber/Schwarz

Comment

Definitely worth it to get a PPI done on that thing. Price still seems high to me, but everything Porsche now is more expensive than it should be
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Wow, for reference: I bought a well running and reasonably refinished '79 Coupe with complete interior in good condition for $18k last May, and it wasn't especially cheap then. I would say $10k seems fair, since you don't know what else needs to be done apart from the fuel pump. Just fixing what you know is wrong will bring the end cost to around $30k. People don't park Porsches for one easily solvable issue.

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
            Definitely worth it to get a PPI done on that thing. Price still seems high to me, but everything Porsche now is more expensive than it should be

I'm going to agree with this, although it is not crazy high. Porsche parts and labor are extreme and this is the unknown.

If i was in your position, i would buy the best car i possibly could, one with a good service history and a great PPI report. If that engine has broken studs and needs to be rebuilt, you are probably looking at 10k+ at a shop depending on parts needed. With a fresh engine, it will not be a 30k dollar SC because of the paint and interior.

If the car was a smokin' deal it might be worth the risk, but it doesn't really have a strong point : shitty paint, shitty interior, unknown mechanical condition. It does theoretically have low miles, but doesn't look like it.

1984 and up (Carrera) has Motronic fuel injection and is a huge improvement over the SC in my opinion.
            Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
            The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

had to share this....if u've ever driven an early car...u'll realize the size of the balls this guy has....and perhaps the depth of his pockets too.....lol

Im not going to judge on his intellect..or on his decisions......

but look at his car control.......

he has a few vids on YT..

nice track car...

go 911 go

Spa Six Hours Qualifying in traffic in a Duel Porsche 911 from 1965 and owned by Roman Caresani (Stichting C&C Motorsport)

re the 911 market.....the 964 prices are going thru the roof. A 20k car 2 yrs ago, is now 40 ish...the secret is out......a fugn great car...964....just ask Singer..lol
              Last edited by JRKOUPE; 08-13-2014, 11:58 AM.
              I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

Haha, I knew the car you were talking about even before clicking the vid (hadn't seen that one). Guy's definitely got a set of brass ones. Nothing I would ever attempt, but damn fun to watch.
                '84 318i - Lapisblau/Schwarz (in cryosleep)
                '06 330i - Titansilber/Schwarz

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I decided to pass on it for some of the reasons mentioned here. I also called up a local shop that specializes in Porsches and told him what i was considering and he basically said to run away lol. But i did find another one for about the same price and its running and has alot of service records. Its an 84 with the 3.2l engine, has about 125k miles and paint is a little dull but overall looks solid.

Is there a similar site for porsches like real oem? I want to decode the vin and see what knd of options it came with.

Comment

My first Porsche. Nothing too special,but I enjoy it. 1984 944, I'm the 3rd owner, car has less than 50K miles on it. It is clean and fun.

Current Car: 2011 BMW 135i, M-Sport, 6 speed

Originally posted by lambo
                    Sounds like you need a massage.
                    Originally posted by kpeng
                    Who the hell is Vlad?

Comment

Very nice.
                      I Timothy 2:1-2

Comment

5ickride - Highly recommend Rennlist - bestest Porsche forum.

Here's a link to an example of the kind of stuff you need to know

991 - The Pre-Purchase Inspection by Peter Zimmermann - Peter Zimmermann was has written an article for Rennlist on the pre-purchase inspection process. While we get it moved to a permanent home, likely on tech.rennlist.com, I thought, in the meantime, I'd post it here. Thank you Peter!...
                        1989 325iX Zinnoberrot/Black 65k miles

Comment

Joe, I'm in lust with your 944!

Just realized I'm drooling over the interior in the 1st pic, LOL!
                          Originally posted by LJ851
                          kingston is the play by play announcer for this thread.
                          ‘Tis by the grace of God that my cars run!

Originally posted by unloadedak
                          #teamross
                          Siobhan's Build Thread - UPDATED!

Comment

Originally posted by steven g View Post
                            5ickride - Highly recommend Rennlist - bestest Porsche forum.

Here's a link to an example of the kind of stuff you need to know

http://rennlist.com/forums/911-forum...immermann.html
                            Thanks Steven! Already found it and love it. Update: i put a deposit down on the 911, she will be home this week!!

Comment

Originally posted by 5ickride View Post
                              Thanks Steven! Already found it and love it. Update: i put a deposit down on the 911, she will be home this week!!
                              Where are the pictures?
                              Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                              The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
                                Where are the pictures?
                                Here's one from the back, my favorite view

Photobucket is acting up

Here it is

Comment

Working...