Great Beer/Alcohol Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • F34R
    replied
    Originally posted by Swanny
    Dude I need to take you out to Two Goats brewery sometime. There are some fun roads to drive on the way there too.
    Sounds badass! Good to do it while you have gimpy vacation time.

    Leave a comment:


  • Swanny
    replied
    Dude I need to take you out to Two Goats brewery sometime. There are some fun roads to drive on the way there too.

    Leave a comment:


  • F34R
    replied
    Originally posted by DragonOrta
    If you're near the city, you should be able to get a hold of some Cantillon, Drie Fonteinen (two of the top lambic brewers/blenders), Hanssens, or Oud Beersel, which are all Belgian brewers of sour beer.

    If you can't get a hold of any of the Belgian traditional lambic producers (stay away from Lindemanns), Russian River (almost any of their -tion beers, ie. Beatification) and Cascade make some of the best American interpretations of Belgian sours. Since you're in New York, you might be able to get a hold of Ithaca Brewing Company's Brute.
    Thanks for the tips, I still have not tried any sours. Ithaca is 30mins away, I know for a fact that the beer store down the road carries that brand. I will look for a case next time I am in there.

    And my current favorite! I love hard cider and this one rocks all that I have tried(pretty much all). @almost 9 bucks a 4 pack it is without a doubt a pricy cider. But well worth the buy if you enjoy hard cider. Only other brand I enjoy close to this is Angry Orchard.
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • jasonbk
    replied


    This combo is my all time favourite.

    Leave a comment:


  • Dermeister3
    replied
    you sir... are a FUCKING BOSS.

    Sell that shit. I will buy.

    Leave a comment:


  • jrobie79
    replied
    Sickkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

    Leave a comment:


  • willworkfore30s
    replied
    Home brew

    This seems like a legitimate place to put this.

    Since it relates I thought you guys might be interested in something I have been building.

    For the past couple of months I have been working on a home brew set up as my senior design project before I graduate from biological engineering. Since engineers with home brew systems are a dime a dozen I was required to add a little challenge into the project so we decided to build the poor man's automated small batch brewery. I am almost done with the project. Only thing left to do is some test runs and build my yeast dispenser and it will be ready to brew.

    So this pot will be the boil kettle/fermenter.


    The coil will run cold water through the system once the boil is done. When the wort reaches a temp below 70F the yeast will drop in through a port in the top.

    I powder coated the lid which I cut out of a piece of aluminum on the band saw. It will be sealed with a food grade gasket to keep bad stuff from getting in there and killing the yeast.

    I wrapped the pot with laminated cast vinyl with our "logo" making fun of the coffee maker Keurig since this system is meant to more or less do for beer what the Keurig does for coffee.

    The pot on the right in this pic is the hot liquor tank. It has another coil in it. The wort will flow through this coil to be heated by the hot water surrounding it and then transfer it back into the mash tun it came out of.


    This is a basic layout of the system. The cooler is the mash tun.


    It will all be run off of sprinkler valves. I know these are not rated for high temp but they should last long enough at the temps I will be hitting for me to graduate. I got a huge peristaltic pump from my department and two hot plates to finish off the system.

    All of this is run off an internet controlled sprinkler controller that I bought from a guy in Cali. It was not easy getting the pump and hot plates to run off of this little controller.

    It is set up so you go on the internet and set up the cycle you want to run, fill all the pots, and hit go. The wort will recirculate through the mash tun and hot liquor tank for a given amount of time and then it will transfer to the boil kettle.

    Once its boiled for long enough it will get cooled down and the yeast will drop in and the system will shut down. It will ferment for two weeks and be ready to be kegged.




    Yes that is a pill bottle hooked to the pump. It contains the voltage regulator and the filters to run the pump off of the controllers 24VAC. The old guy that works in the department and helped me build it had a huge bag of pill bottles that he uses to house circuits like this.



    All of the major parts are done. I will be running water through it tomorrow to check for any leaks. Hopefully it will brew its first batch with in the next two weeks.

    Leave a comment:


  • Cabriolet
    replied
    one of my new favs:


    during winter i also really like Anderson Valley Winter Ale.

    killed a few of these the other night. really bold IPA taste.

    Leave a comment:


  • Peterkaczynski
    replied
    Defiantly give it a go

    Leave a comment:


  • VANOS714
    replied
    Originally posted by teh_activ
    Im drinking an Arrogant Bastard Ale at the moment, looks bad ass and tastes great has anyone had it?
    I saw them on trader joes, the bottle does look badass and so does the label lol. If you say they're good I should give it a try.

    Leave a comment:


  • JasonC
    replied
    Has anyone tried this hard cider yet? I got some out of the tap and picked up a six pack later. pretty good if you ask me. I've only tryed the Crisp Apple so far.


    Leave a comment:


  • Eecen
    replied
    I'm enjoying a right now, good beer.

    Leave a comment:


  • Nick_S
    replied
    ^^ Nice selection! I luckily just moved near a store with an awesome selection of good beer. Been trying a new beer every weekend.

    Leave a comment:


  • Chachi
    replied
    my girl took me to a place in rochester called beers of the world for part of my birthday. basically a supermarket of beer. i was overwhelmed. here's what i managed to take home, excited to try some new stuff.

    Leave a comment:


  • dreamchasin
    replied
    Just got some Sam Adams Harvest Pumpkin Ale, I like it.

    Leave a comment:

Working...