Great Beer/Alcohol Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • kronus
    replied
    drinking this right now



    and it's fantastic. PNW guys, you should be able to get this stuff fairly easily. It's good.

    Leave a comment:


  • Ziggens96
    replied
    Originally posted by KenC
    Southern Tier out of NY has a PumKing ale that's really good. You can prob find it in Mass.
    Yeah, that one is good. Brooklyn's Post Road pumpkin ale is also good. It's quite true to style, which means it tastes like ale brewed with pumpkin, and not pumpkin pie-flavored beer, being overwhelmed by spice.

    I drank this this afternoon as a post-hurricane treat:



    Leave a comment:


  • KenC
    replied
    Originally posted by jrobie79
    only on the east coast, but Smuttynose brewery out of Portsmouth NH, their pumpkin ale is top notch....nothing crazy like shipyard, good balance of the flavor.
    Southern Tier out of NY has a PumKing ale that's really good. You can prob find it in Mass.

    Leave a comment:


  • jrobie79
    replied
    only on the east coast, but Smuttynose brewery out of Portsmouth NH, their pumpkin ale is top notch....nothing crazy like shipyard, good balance of the flavor.

    Last edited by jrobie79; 08-28-2011, 06:14 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • z31maniac
    replied
    Originally posted by KenC
    I still maintain that 95% of the people that prefer vodka, prefer it because of it's neutral flavor. People drink vodka to get drunk and not taste it. People who say that they love vodka-cran or greyhounds crack me up. They like cranberry juice and grapefruit juice, which masks the vodka.

    There are some good vodkas out there. Ultimat, Jewel of Russia, Chopin, to name a few. I can appreciate them on their own in the right context. But it's no coincidence that vodka cocktails are a rarity on the menus of the country's top bars.
    Yep.

    Vodka is the only spirit I can think of where higher quality gets you less taste.

    We picked up a bottle of White Cake Vokda yesterday. It's amazing birthday cake in a glass.

    Mix with OJ for a dreamcicle, pineapple juice for Pineapple upside down cake, etc etc

    Leave a comment:


  • Eecen
    replied
    Originally posted by Eecen
    This stuff is great. The Green Apple flavor specifically.


    Looks like I'm dumb. La Fin Du Monde is just one of the beers these guys make.


    Unibroue is the brewery.

    Ephemere Apple is the one I like..
    Unibroue, brasserie québécoise basée à Chambly dont les produits renommés mondialement délectent les amateurs de bière depuis 1992.



    Really wish liquor stores here stocked more of these beers.

    Leave a comment:


  • Heysüß
    replied
    Coronas are good and so are bud lights.

    Leave a comment:


  • KenC
    replied
    Sour beers aren't produced in large quantities by many (if any) breweries. The ones I've had were just out of small firkins that brewers themselves had produced for samples.

    I'd call up a specialty beer store and see if they have any.

    Leave a comment:


  • F34R
    replied
    Originally posted by KenC
    You may like sour beers if you can get your hands on some put there. There was a recent NYTimes article about them.

    AB is good, but you've gotta be in the mood for an overly malty beer. Not a good hot weather beer. Their Double Bastard is a beast to put down.

    Cold vodka is good with oysters. That's about the only situation in which I'll drink it.

    I still maintain that 95% of the people that prefer vodka, prefer it because of it's neutral flavor. People drink vodka to get drunk and not taste it. People who say that they love vodka-cran or greyhounds crack me up. They like cranberry juice and grapefruit juice, which masks the vodka.

    There are some good vodkas out there. Ultimat, Jewel of Russia, Chopin, to name a few. I can appreciate them on their own in the right context. But it's no coincidence that vodka cocktails are a rarity on the menus of the country's top bars.
    First off, can you name a few good sour beers to try? I am getting used to beer aftertaste and it is growing on me. I really HATE the woody bark type ending beers.

    Vodka is not bad with oysters, I always have sushi with them so sake is my drink with those types of meals.

    I agree 100% with that statement of vodka drinkers. Example: I was at my buddies house and we were doing a party. Some guy said he LOVES vodka, so that made me happy. Started talking about that brands he enjoys. He said he did not spend much on bottles only just had stuff at parties. So I went to the freezer and took out my bottle of frosted Chopin and poured him a dbl shot. His response: where is the juice?

    :FACE PALM: I did the double shot and put my bottle back on ice. I said this is a real mans drink and not to be mixed with juice like a woman.

    Also I know what you mean by the thickness of vodka. I am just describing how is goes down vs grain and rye vodkas. Vodka was my first drink I ever had and it will be my last if I have the chance while dying =)
    Last edited by F34R; 08-28-2011, 08:27 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • KenC
    replied
    Originally posted by E30_fiend
    3 Skulls brewery. Blood Orange Ale. FUCKIN BOMB.

    Other than that, I like Allagash but its like $20 for a 22oz bottle. Fuckin amazing beer though. If I'm just drinking cheap-ish beer, I still to blue moon.


    Taylor
    Where is 3 Skulls located?

    Leave a comment:


  • KenC
    replied
    Originally posted by Hey_You
    Bomb Diggidy if you are into super hoppy IPA's
    +1

    Their Hairy Eyeball and Brown Shugga are awesome as well.

    Lagunitas is probably the best brewery outside outside of Portland, with Stone in a close second.

    Leave a comment:


  • KenC
    replied
    Originally posted by F34R
    I like Widmer Hefeweizen and some dark stouts. I am more into Belgian styles like: Stella Artois, Hoegaarden, Leffe. I also drink Yuengling lagers and some of the Rouge line up. Never tried AB before, I think that is next on my list of beers to buy.

    I would have to point out that you don't know anything about vodka ;) Because unlike others I drink it straight and ENJOY different blends(mostly potato). I had a HARD time switching to beer from hard shit like Luksusowa, Chopin, Wild Turkey American Honey, 151 Just to name a few. Had to get used to the bitter ending apposed to smooth spirits. But beer does not affect me and keeps me sober!

    FYI Grain vodka has next to no flavor, potato on the other hand taste smooth and thick bodied. Very think going down too.

    Shitty ones are mostly grain based vodkas(mixed drinks). They are mostly for mixed drinks. Belvedere, Gray Goose, Skyy, Absolut etc
    Stella is just a lager. Not really a "Belgian style" ale like Hoegaarden. Chimay is probably one of the most well known and widely-distributed Belgian's. They're really complex and admirable, but I find them too sweet and florally.

    You may like sour beers if you can get your hands on some put there. There was a recent NYTimes article about them.

    Widmer's Hef is actually pretty damn good. Rogue is good, but overpriced IMO. Though we do have a couple kegs of the Imperial YSB at the house right now.

    AB is good, but you've gotta be in the mood for an overly malty beer. Not a good hot weather beer. Their Double Bastard is a beast to put down.



    Cold vodka is good with oysters. That's about the only situation in which I'll drink it.

    I still maintain that 95% of the people that prefer vodka, prefer it because of it's neutral flavor. People drink vodka to get drunk and not taste it. People who say that they love vodka-cran or greyhounds crack me up. They like cranberry juice and grapefruit juice, which masks the vodka.

    There are some good vodkas out there. Ultimat, Jewel of Russia, Chopin, to name a few. I can appreciate them on their own in the right context. But it's no coincidence that vodka cocktails are a rarity on the menus of the country's top bars.

    (The "thickness" has more to do with the alcohol percentage than the composition. Ethanol becomes much more viscous when it's cooled down.)

    Leave a comment:


  • F34R
    replied
    Originally posted by KenC
    What's with all the Stella drinkers? It's OK on a hot day, but nothing that great. Their marketing here is unreal. That shit's like the Busch of Europe.

    It's like saying you drink vodka for the flavor lol.
    I like Widmer Hefeweizen and some dark stouts. I am more into Belgian styles like: Stella Artois, Hoegaarden, Leffe. I also drink Yuengling lagers and some of the Rouge line up. Never tried AB before, I think that is next on my list of beers to buy.

    I would have to point out that you don't know anything about vodka ;) Because unlike others I drink it straight and ENJOY different blends(mostly potato). I had a HARD time switching to beer from hard shit like Luksusowa, Chopin, Wild Turkey American Honey, 151 Just to name a few. Had to get used to the bitter ending apposed to smooth spirits. But beer does not affect me and keeps me sober!

    FYI Grain vodka has next to no flavor, potato on the other hand taste smooth and thick bodied. Very think going down too.

    Shitty ones are mostly grain based vodkas(mixed drinks). They are mostly for mixed drinks. Belvedere, Gray Goose, Skyy, Absolut etc

    Leave a comment:


  • E30_fiend
    replied
    3 Skulls brewery. Blood Orange Ale. FUCKIN BOMB.

    Other than that, I like Allagash but its like $20 for a 22oz bottle. Fuckin amazing beer though. If I'm just drinking cheap-ish beer, I still to blue moon.


    Taylor

    Leave a comment:


  • Hey_You
    replied
    Bomb Diggidy if you are into super hoppy IPA's

    Leave a comment:

Working...