The r3v motorcycle thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by e30 gangsta View Post
    None of the above if that's going to be your first bike.

And dang an rd for $1000? You better pick that up!
    either its too good to be true, the guy doesnt know what he has, or he just doesnt care, either way, im hoping haha

Comment

Originally posted by E30SoD1rty View Post
      Hey guys I'm also going to start riding soon, hopefully. I just can't decide between a Honda CBR 600RR, Yamaha R6, or a Ducati 821 Monster. Any suggestions?
      Take lessons and I basically started on a R6 10 years ago and I still have it. I did ride ATVs and some dirtbikes when I was younger.

It's better than getting a liter bike as a first bike. Some say get a GS500 or whatever their entry level bike is or even a Ninja 250/300. If you did that buy used, and buy at a good deal cause within a year you will be ready for something bigger.
      1990 325is
      m52b28
      3.73lsd
      g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

Originally posted by E30SoD1rty View Post
        Hey guys I'm also going to start riding soon, hopefully. I just can't decide between a Honda CBR 600RR, Yamaha R6, or a Ducati 821 Monster. Any suggestions?
        Originally posted by TeXJ View Post
        Take lessons and I basically started on a R6 10 years ago and I still have it. I did ride ATVs and some dirtbikes when I was younger.

It's better than getting a liter bike as a first bike. Some say get a GS500 or whatever their entry level bike is or even a Ninja 250/300. If you did that buy used, and buy at a good deal cause within a year you will be ready for something bigger.
        Anyone who asks me about riding who has never ridden a motorcycle, I recommend them taking the motorcycle safety course, the ones that usually last a weekend, and then you get your license at the end of it.

And as stated above, the GS500 is a great first bike, decent power, decent looks being a naked "sport bike" so to speak, and cheap! They've been around since the 90s, can usually grab one for around 1k. Plus, being your first bike, you will most likely drop it/tip it over, so you wont feel bad unlike if you drop a full fairing RR.

Now that being said, I've had friends whose first bikes were 600/1000RRs, hell my buddys first bike was a 'Busa! Technically, my first "road bike" was my R1, and I've had liter bikes as my personal machines since. BUT I rode friends street bikes before that, and dirt way before that even. As long as you respect the bike, take your time, its really up to you what you want, but it's highly recommended to get something cheap and smaller to start with.

Comment

^great advice! It really depends on you and if you think you're smart enough to not try and ride above your skills. That is when you wreck and possibly die. I just had two friends go down this last two months; one passed(RIP) and the other busted up his collar bone. Both have been riding for a very very long time.

Oh and dont skimp on riding gear. Helmet, jacket and gloves at the very least. That is what I ride with and pants. I know I should have better leg protection but it gets to dang hot here in Texas. They do make kevlar pants now so that is also an option for ya.

There are some knowledgeable and experienced riders here, so if you have questions ask.
          1990 325is
          m52b28
          3.73lsd

Comment

I started with a CBR600rr and it was a really nice first bike. Just respect it and spend time learning how to ride. Also buy gear and always wear it. Took one of our friends out last week as he just got a new Speed Triple. Came over to my house not wearing much gear. I warned him to ride safe and not to push his bike till he learned to ride. 3 hours later I watched him wreck in a slow slide half way though a big sweeping turn. A trip to the hospital with major road rash and about 1k in damages to his bike.

Just be careful in what ever decision you choose.
            Build your own dreams, or someone else will hire you to build theirs!

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

It is not IF but WHEN you go down.
              1990 325is
              m52b28
              3.73lsd

Comment

Originally posted by TeXJ View Post
                Oh and dont skimp on riding gear. Helmet, jacket and gloves at the very least. That is what I ride with and pants. I know I should have better leg protection but it gets to dang hot here in Texas. They do make kevlar pants now so that is also an option for ya.

Originally posted by Vedubin01 View Post
                I started with a CBR600rr and it was a really nice first bike. Just respect it and spend time learning how to ride. Also buy gear and always wear it. Took one of our friends out last week as he just got a new Speed Triple. Came over to my house not wearing much gear. I warned him to ride safe and not to push his bike till he learned to ride. 3 hours later I watched him wreck in a slow slide half way though a big sweeping turn. A trip to the hospital with major road rash and about 1k in damages to his bike.

Just be careful in what ever decision you choose.
                Yes yes yes, as the saying goes, AGATT, or All Gear All The Time. I haven't gone down yet (knock on wood) but I've tipped over a few of my machines, and while it is a heartbreaker, parts are replaceable, and you are not. I used to roll around when I was younger with just a helmet and gloves, now I feel naked with out my gear, leather jacket with pads, gloves, helmet, kevlar jeans, boots etc, you get used to wearing it, it becomes part of the experience, part of you.

I've heard some insidious stories of road burn, its basically a third degree burn, but the best part is the doctors have to "scrub" the wound to get all the debris and shit out of it...yea, id rather avoid that.

Ive heard the excuse from my friends who wear no gear that "Its too hot meeehh", I literally live in hell, and wear mostly black gear, and I'm actually cooler covering up my skin, as well as avoiding sun burn. I rode one of the bikes I purchased recently without my helmet (impulse buy lol) around the corner to my shop, and I thought my face was going to fall off, so damn hot

Comment

Originally posted by Downz View Post
                  I'm actually cooler covering up my skin
                  Wut? Or is there's just no difference after 110F?

Either way, I do advocate wearing gear though. A truck merged into me, I was layed down and slid for over 100ft @ 70 mph. All I had was a rug burn on my knee and scratches on my jacket and gloves.

Comment

It actually is true. If I wear shorts and it's a hot day, wearing pants is cooler. One the sun isn't beating down on your skin. Two, while stopped the heat from the road isn't being reflected back onto your legs, plus the heat of the motor is blocked as well with pants.

I've been down and had jeans on, I was able to slow down enough that I didnt even get a tear on my jeans, I rolled. My helmet was scuffed and my elbows and hands were fine because I wear my gear. I mainly dont wear leather cause when I commute to work not sure what to do with my boots and pants while I'm at work. I'd have to bring a change of pants and shoes with me...that's not happening.
                    1990 325is
                    m52b28
                    3.73lsd

Comment

Engine heat alone makes wearing shorts pretty damn shitty, but riding with just a shirt feels great. That's why all the harley people do it lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Dozyproductions View Post
                        Wut? Or is there's just no difference after 110F?

Either way, I do advocate wearing gear though. A truck merged into me, I was layed down and slid for over 100ft @ 70 mph. All I had was a rug burn on my knee and scratches on my jacket and gloves.
                        I will have to dig up the link but its actually been shown that in many circumstances the benefits of a good mesh jacket in hot weather. Just get a light color. It shades the surface of the skin creating a microclimate.
                        Im now E30less.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Stewart View Post
                          I will have to dig up the link but its actually been shown that in many circumstances the benefits of a good mesh jacket in hot weather. Just get a light color. It shades the surface of the skin creating a microclimate.
                          Interesting! Then again, I don't have a good mesh!

Comment

Originally posted by Dozyproductions View Post
                            Interesting! Then again, I don't have a good mesh!
                            yup, the sun out here is intense, and Im fair skinned/Irish, so I burn bad. Another trick I do is soak my t-shirt with water, toss it on, then throw the jacket over that, kinda like a swamp cool effect, usually do this in the dead of summer when I know ill be riding for a while.

Comment

Riding this lil guy to work tomorrow, hopefully no issues so I can sell it on and continue my 12 other projects, dat two stroke life!

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm really looking forward into riding. I have my motorcycle safety course this coming Thursday. I hope all goes good. As for the bike goes, I'm thinking of getting a used (2009+) CBR.

Comment

Working...
                                X