No announcement yet.

The r3v motorcycle thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do we feel about gs500s for someone getting another motorcycle after not having one for a year? Barely rode my first one, spent most of its life under my ownership idling in the driveway, trying to get the damn thing to run right until I blew it up. I probably put 100 miles on it total. This time around, I'm hoping to get something I can just ride/commute on that wont be overwhelming to essentially an entry level rider while not being a 250.
    1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Those are good beginner bikes.
      1990 325is
      m52b28
      3.73lsd
      g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

Maybe an SV650 instead, or something fuel injected like a VFR800, CBR600F4i, or a GSX650F. Yes, they are all more powerful than an GS, but they are also far more likely to hold your interest than a GS, which just isn't an exciting ride (it is competent, practical and cheap of course).

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
          Maybe an SV650 instead, or something fuel injected like a VFR800, CBR600F4i, or a GSX650F. Yes, they are all more powerful than an GS, but they are also far more likely to hold your interest than a GS, which just isn't an exciting ride (it is competent, practical and cheap of course).
          My wife had a sv650s.

It was a good bike, but if you are 175lbs and over you will overwhelm the front suspension if you ride it hard.

Get a dual sport like a klr650. Multi use.
          Originally posted by codyep3
          I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
          2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
          1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
          1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
          2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
          2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
          2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
          2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
          2010 F650gs twin
          2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

+1 for a sv650/s
            1990 325is
            m52b28
            3.73lsd

Comment

I'm thinking of getting my first bike, I think a drz400sm would be ok for a little while, but then the lack of power would get to me. I've rode various dirt bikes up to a cr500,which the few times I rode it, it was retarded fast when I could open it up. Pretty much the choices with more power are ktm and Ducati yeah?

Comment

A SuperMoto is fine depending on the riding you'll be doing. If it is all back road/side streets...basically no freeways/high speed constant riding.

yeah the Duke and hypermotard from ktm/ducati are much more highway friendly.
                1990 325is
                m52b28
                3.73lsd

Comment

I have an sv650 and I can't recommend them enough if you're a beginner who already knows how to ride.
                  Todd is right about the suspension though and it is people's first choice of upgrade if you like riding spirited. I'm 190 and feel like it's holding me back.
                  The bike also has a lotttttt of engine braking which is great for beginners imo.
                  2003+ are the fuel injected ones. 2003 had the oddball frame, so try to purchase a 2004+ so you have parts readily available.

Yellow bike.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

I also think the 2003+ styling is way better, although the first gen frame does have some charm. Fuel injection is nice too. My grandparents have a cabin up in the sierras and I've always wanted to do a trip up there on a motorcycle but I've been wary of a carbureted bike pooping out at altitude.

Just gotta figure out how to budget this in....lol
                    1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Anything over 3k is considered desperate territory here in Socal unless it's immaculate and low mile.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
                        Anything over 3k is considered desperate territory here in Socal unless it's immaculate and low mile.
                        I know this isn't gonna be different for me, but at least you live in california-How much are you paying in insurance? That is, if you dont mind divulging that info. I only have my old shitbox motorcycle (also registerd in RI) to base it off of so I have no idea what insurance on a newer bike would be.
                        1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
                          I know this isn't gonna be different for me, but at least you live in california-How much are you paying in insurance? That is, if you dont mind divulging that info. I only have my old shitbox motorcycle (also registerd in RI) to base it off of so I have no idea what insurance on a newer bike would be.
                          I pay $88 a month for full coverage (collision and comprehensive) on a 2017 FZ09, clean driving record, 9k miles a year, 25 years old, 1 year of having my M1 license.
                          I did pay 130$ per month for the first year, then it dropped to $88 after i turned 25. I need to pay it off and take off comprehensive.

Comment

Try a BMW f650/f800gs. I love mine. Not overpowering for a beginner, and adequate for a seasoned rider considering what it’s designed for.

I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
                            2010 F650gs twin

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Black 88 View Post
                              Try a BMW f650/f800gs. I love mine. Not overpowering for a beginner, and adequate for a seasoned rider considering what it’s designed for.

these pop up as basket cases every so often on the cheap here. I've thought about it, and also looked into k75s for a bit....hmmm hmm
                              1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Make sure it’s a 08 and newer f650gs and not the early one that was built until 05. That one was a single, and while the later versions ,03-05, were pretty good, they are ball numbingly buzzy.

The f650gs twin runs 87 octane compared to the f800gs. Same motor, different tune.
                                2010 F650gs twin

Comment

Working...
                                X