No announcement yet.

The r3v motorcycle thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's the off-season now for me, so most of my bikes go in the basement. Hard t see it all, but that's three vintage Honda 160/175 race bikes, a KTM 560 SMR, Maria Forsberg's ex all-winning KTM 250, and a couple of Honda Z50-ish minibikes. Still have a street-legal KTM 525 SMR for street duty in the garage.
    Attached Files
    '91 325i

Comment

Originally posted by Nader393 View Post
      It's the off-season now for me, so most of my bikes go in the basement. Hard t see it all, but that's three vintage Honda 160/175 race bikes, a KTM 560 SMR, Maria Forsberg's ex all-winning KTM 250, and a couple of Honda Z50-ish minibikes. Still have a street-legal KTM 525 SMR for street duty in the garage.
      Lets see that 525, ive been eyeing one of those for dual sport duty myself

Comment

Just joined the two wheeled club with this '76 Honda CB550K. Plans to convert it to a cafe/brat over this winter. Not sure what it will look like, but I've been wanting to get into a CB for years now and convert it to a cafe, but I'm sort of digging the brat look. Whatever it will be, I'll be happy with it.

Also- I know years ago I remember seeing someone here do a smiley headlight on their bike- wish I could see that picture of how he was able to mount it to give me an idea. Any help finding that guy and/or pic would be appreciated!!

555Garage - Kingston, PA

'13 BMW e70 X5 35d
        '95 BMW e34 525i
        '92 BMW e30 325i S52 Vert (Quade the Vert)
        '92 Range Rover Classic
        '90 Range Rover Classic
        '89 BMW e30 325i Coupe (The DIRTY30)
        '81 VW MK1 Rabbit Caddy Diesel
        '76 Honda CB550K Cafe/Brat
        '67 Pontiac LeMans
        '24 Model T Depot Hack
        ....And a bunch of Motobecane, Puch, Garelli, Batavus and Honda 49cc-78cc Mopeds...

Comment

Cool project. If that's grip tape it's going to trash the ass of your pants. Leather or otherwise, I hope you're planning to use some sort of padding.

My E30 ate its turbo this past weekend, but I'm not going to let that cramp my style so I still got my Sunday afternoon R&R in at the model airplane field. This went well enough that I'm probably going to build some sort of fixture or box to do it more often and more easily.
          Last edited by varg; 10-18-2017, 11:41 AM.

IG @turbovarg
          '91 318is, M20 turbo
          [CoTM: 4-18]
          '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
          - updated 1-26

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
            Cool project. If that's grip tape it's going to trash the ass of your pants. Leather or otherwise, I hope you're planning to use some sort of padding.
            I'm purely in the design phase of things, trying to take my time and not rush putting this thing together....so the skateboard deck is just thrown on. Ordering a seat hoop, making the proper cuts and once the bottom of the deck is sitting correctly- I have a local upholster who will make a seat out of the skateboard deck. Moving slow since I don't know what color leather I want to do and want to make sure I am happy with how it will look.

Bike is a far way from hitting the road- still need to remove everything and get the frame painted and ground down. Just trying to build some parts of the bike prior to taking it all apart and then putting it together for good.
            555Garage - Kingston, PA

'13 BMW e70 X5 35d
            '95 BMW e34 525i
            '92 Range Rover Classic
            '90 Range Rover Classic
            '67 Pontiac LeMans
            '24 Model T Depot Hack
            ....And a bunch of Motobecane, Puch, Garelli, Batavus and Honda 49cc-78cc Mopeds...

Comment

Originally posted by Klug View Post
              Also- I know years ago I remember seeing someone here do a smiley headlight on their bike- wish I could see that picture of how he was able to mount it to give me an idea. Any help finding that guy and/or pic would be appreciated!!
              Newman did it, but thanks to photobucket all pics are dead lol.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=290521
                Just learned you can get an add-on for Chrome/Firefox to put the pictures back into the threads.

From the post:
                Hey everyone! In case you haven't heard, there are fixes out now to enable viewing of the locked out Photobucket pictures!

If you're using Google Chrome, go to the three dots on the right side of the screen and click them. A drop down should appear. Hover your mouse over "More Tools," and when the next drop down appears, click on extensions. Go to the link towards the bottom that says "Get more extensions." In the search box, type "Photobucket Fix," and hit enter. Click the install button and once it's done, you should be able to see Photobucket pictures again.

For Firefox users, click on the three bars on the right side of the screen, then click on add-ons. Click search for "Photobucket hotlink" and click install. Same result.
                1990 325is
                m52b28
                3.73lsd
                g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

man that dude is crazy, I remember running into him riding my old R1 around Buffalo, I recognized his E30 from here, I'm waving him down like "dude I know you, or of you!" really cool dude, and damn his fab skills def transfer to building bikes too, that harley is bad ass!

Comment

Originally posted by Klug View Post
                    Just joined the two wheeled club with this '76 Honda CB550K. Plans to convert it to a cafe/brat over this winter. Not sure what it will look like, but I've been wanting to get into a CB for years now and convert it to a cafe, but I'm sort of digging the brat look. Whatever it will be, I'll be happy with it.
                    Not to sound like a hater but you do realize that CB550 is worth much more in stock condition? And there is a glut of half-assed CB550 "cafe/brat" projects, even in the just Philly area CL that I see, which never seem to sell?

I suggest not doing any permanent mods to the CB550 if any at all.

Better yet, sell it as stock and buy some other bike that is already ruined.

Turning that into a "brat" bike is like ricing out a fairly clean, stock but not perfect 325is or 318is, they aren't making them anymore and there are plenty junky E30s out there to "mod".

Comment

Yeah man!!! Thank you!!! That's the guy!

Speaking of, I did some messing around this weekend and made (at least the lens) work. Need to fab up a shorter projector mount inside- I'll figure it out....

Originally posted by tim88325is View Post
                      Not to sound like a hater but you do realize that CB550 is worth much more in stock condition?
                      Yeah, I'm totally aware. I've been in the market for a CB for years, they all were too expensive (since being restored) or without titles (I'm not dealing with that again in PA)

But I totally hear you, and know where you are coming from but you gotta hear me out though- I've always wanted to convert a CB into a cafe and have really been searching for "the one" for quite some time. This one I grabbed was local, clean title, basically emptied out his whole garage with spare CB550 parts.....and all for $600. I can't argue with that. I came across similar Yamaha's and Suzukis that I could have bought- but held my ground for a CB.

Who knows- if I find another one out there that needs to be restored for a good price- then I sure have enough parts and pieces already to go down that route with. Literally, I have everything for another CB550K but the frame and motor from the parts stash this guy gave me in the deal. But this one, is going to be my project and I'm going to make this into what I've been wanting to do forever.

Also- everything else I have in my garage is already "restored" and this itch of fabricating something of my own has been bothering me for a while.
                      555Garage - Kingston, PA

'13 BMW e70 X5 35d
                      '95 BMW e34 525i
                      '92 Range Rover Classic
                      '90 Range Rover Classic
                      '67 Pontiac LeMans
                      '24 Model T Depot Hack

Comment

Really reminds me of my brother's first bike RIP Honda Super Cub:nice:

Comment

Got a new toy at the motorcycle store today.

Not as "cool" as the other bike but a huge upgrade in every other way.

2013 V-Strom 650 ABS

Last edited by coldweatherblue; 11-08-2017, 04:25 PM.

Comment

without any research what's a good SM bike that isn't slow.
                            btw not talking shit. i get what they're meant to be but just something that can haul ass on the freeway.

Comment

They're all slow in a straight line. You won't find a supermoto that will "haul ass on the freeway". If you consider the Ducati hypermotard a supermoto I guess that counts but IMO it's way too heavy to be a supermoto, it's more of a factory streetfighter dressed to look like a supermoto.

IG @turbovarg
                              '91 318is, M20 turbo
                              [CoTM: 4-18]
                              '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                              - updated 1-26

Comment

If anyone has the chance to try quick shifters, it is mind blowing.
                                Just fitted one to my Fz10, its hilarious. Clutchless shifting FTW.

Comment

Working...
                                X