No announcement yet.

This is Photography

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't totally written off the Go-Pros, I've seen and heard good video from them, I just haven't been able to make them work. The seem to be great for mounting on a bike helmet or for jumping out of an airplane, but for what ever reason, I've had bad luck with them every time I've tried to use one on a car (on several different vehicles, mounted both inside, outside, on the back of the car ect. The sound has been so bad that the video was unwatchable.)

I believe in using the right tool for the job. Sure, you can use a crescent wrench on a brake fitting, however a flare wrench is the better tool. For me, a video camera is the better tool for video, and an SLR camera is the right tool for shooting a photograph. Sure, combining the two is easy to live with, but its a compromise in the long run. I'd rather have the camera be more user friendly for shooting pictures and shoot better pictures over video any day of the week. When I go to shoot a picture, I don't want to be digging though menus to change settings. This is something that many of the top of the line DSLRs are being criticised for, especially the D800 and the D4. Cannon seems to have things better in the video department, but they have lens compatibility issues with older lenses, something I happen to use on a somewhat frequent basis, especially at night. (I love my 40+ year old ISCO F2.8 180mm manual focus lens that still works on my D7000, hence the reason I bought a Nikon and will continue to use Nikons until they make shooting a picture with a camera harder than taking a video. At that point I'll move onto another brand or just continue to use old equipment.) Yeah, I'm old school, I'd still rather listen to CDs and records over MP3 (yes I can hear the difference) still I listen to MP3 (on a separate MP3 player) in the car simply because there is too much noise to hear the difference between a CD and MP3. Yes, in this case, the crescent wrench works just fine ;)

When I go to shoot a picture, I don't want to have to compromise because someone thought it would be a good idea to combine the camera and the video into one. Perhaps I'm a minority, however there are others that share my views. I always want the right tool for the job, not one that can "also do the job, but not as well as it should." Video camera for video, SLR for pictures. I'd rather have two precision tools rather than one tool that can sort of do both okay. Sure, a crescent wrench is a usable tool, but when you really need a flare wrench, that is the tool you want to use.

Will
    '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
    '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
    '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
    '88 BMW M3

Comment

Originally posted by howdyhoayman View Post
      Okay the photos suck but the car is sex! First time shooting a car with the new camera lol. Also, sorry if they're too big.

wow

Comment

Originally posted by m3clutch View Post
        Dude Crunk3, idk if you'll see this. But I love your landscape shots. Epsecially how smooth and natural the you've got the blue skies. The colors are strong and not over the top...exactly the kind of look I try to achieve when I reaaally try. I usually fall just a tad short. Here's one of my landscapes, it's nit picky, but the sky is kinda choppy in some areas:

Little Big Virginia Lakes
        thank you, i was just scrolling through the pics on this thread and was like "damn that's an awesome shot" when looking your picture
        91 318iS http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2396154

Comment

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post
          I haven't totally written off the Go-Pros, I've seen and heard good video from them, I just haven't been able to make them work. The seem to be great for mounting on a bike helmet or for jumping out of an airplane, but for what ever reason, I've had bad luck with them every time I've tried to use one on a car (on several different vehicles, mounted both inside, outside, on the back of the car ect. The sound has been so bad that the video was unwatchable.)

I believe in using the right tool for the job. Sure, you can use a crescent wrench on a brake fitting, however a flare wrench is the better tool. For me, a video camera is the better tool for video, and an SLR camera is the right tool for shooting a photograph. Sure, combining the two is easy to live with, but its a compromise in the long run. I'd rather have the camera be more user friendly for shooting pictures and shoot better pictures over video any day of the week. When I go to shoot a picture, I don't want to be digging though menus to change settings. This is something that many of the top of the line DSLRs are being criticised for, especially the D800 and the D4. Cannon seems to have things better in the video department, but they have lens compatibility issues with older lenses, something I happen to use on a somewhat frequent basis, especially at night. (I love my 40+ year old ISCO F2.8 180mm manual focus lens that still works on my D7000, hence the reason I bought a Nikon and will continue to use Nikons until they make shooting a picture with a camera harder than taking a video. At that point I'll move onto another brand or just continue to use old equipment.) Yeah, I'm old school, I'd still rather listen to CDs and records over MP3 (yes I can hear the difference) still I listen to MP3 (on a separate MP3 player) in the car simply because there is too much noise to hear the difference between a CD and MP3. Yes, in this case, the crescent wrench works just fine ;)

When I go to shoot a picture, I don't want to have to compromise because someone thought it would be a good idea to combine the camera and the video into one. Perhaps I'm a minority, however there are others that share my views. I always want the right tool for the job, not one that can "also do the job, but not as well as it should." Video camera for video, SLR for pictures. I'd rather have two precision tools rather than one tool that can sort of do both okay. Sure, a crescent wrench is a usable tool, but when you really need a flare wrench, that is the tool you want to use.

Will

Not disagreeing with you. The Canons are still primarily made to be a SLR and photo taking machine. It's the video that was thrown in after the fact, and they did a damn good job at making it work. It may not work well enough for some. And that is just fine. Canon really did mess up with the the lack of older lens usage without the adapter. But it is what it is, I'm sure I'll run into that problem again when I'm older (I'm only 27). I haven't really built up a collection of any lenses/cameras yet. Except my brownies and my Ihagee EXA V1.

No arguments here. I was literally just putting those out little things out there to say.

As for the gopro, don't use the internal mic at all. It's terrible even in the waterproof case. Just run an external mic on it with a windcutter. Audio problem solved. Or even a Zoom H1 for audio and mix in post. That's solution two if your gopro is one of the originals without the external mic port.

(Vinyl and vacuum tubes all the way, btw)

Leave Me Transaction Feedback

Comment

Anybody recommend a good tripod head. I now have a sigma 150-500 and need a good quality head, but dont really want to spend more then $100 the camera and lense weight 2.6kg all up.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Massimo View Post
              Anybody recommend a good tripod head. I now have a sigma 150-500 and need a good quality head, but dont really want to spend more then $100 the camera and lense weight 2.6kg all up.

150-500 :shock: if thats on a crop housing i guess you like your distance..

Comment

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post
                BLAH......
                that is the tool you want to use.

Will
                Explore the current catalog of RED cameras, accessories, t-shirts, hats, and more.

shhhhhhh
                Yours truly,
                Rich
                sigpic
                Originally posted by Rigmaster
                you kids get off my lawn.....

Comment

Originally posted by Kvasi View Post
                  150-500 :shock: if thats on a crop housing i guess you like your distance..
                  lol yeh it is actually something like 700 on my 60d, wildlife, our dogs at the park, sports events, and of course motorsports as well.

I actually really like range.
                  sigpic

Comment

Who do you think you are? Me? by sina.pour, on Flickr

Ok #peugeot. by sina.pour, on Flickr

Team France Tacking by sina.pour, on Flickr

IMG_2456 by sina.pour, on Flickr

Team USA by sina.pour, on Flickr

America's Cup course by sina.pour, on Flickr

San Pablo never let me down by sina.pour, on Flickr

French Comforts. by sina.pour, on Flickr

Team France by sina.pour, on Flickr

Luna Rossa, Team Italia by sina.pour, on Flickr

Team Sverige & USA by sina.pour, on Flickr

Team USA, Golden Gate Bridge by sina.pour, on Flickr

Smeared Palette by sina.pour, on Flickr

Pacific Heights Villa. by sina.pour, on Flickr

Mafioso Residence by sina.pour, on Flickr

Who invited Rick Ross? by sina.pour, on Flickr

Team Korea by sina.pour, on Flickr

Presidio by sina.pour, on Flickr

Bay Bridge Commute, 19:00 by sina.pour, on Flickr

One time...ONE time by sina.pour, on Flickr

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
                    1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                    1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
                    2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Damn that FC is gorgeous. I havent shot digital in awhile but slowly getting back into it. Film and videography have been the main priority lately.

Film

Comment

This is great

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
                        1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                        1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
                        2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Originally posted by Fusion
                          If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                          The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                          William Pitt-

Comment

I love that freestyle skiing picture^^
                            Originally posted by Sagaris
                            He wasn't around because he spent 7 years in jail for assault. There was a group of guys doing a 24v swap on someones car and one of the neighbor kids came over and starting too many questions. Tempers flared, sawzalls did work, and he cut the kids leg off. The victim later joined this forum under the name "5toes".

Comment

Bailey and Sadie by izthistaken, on Flickr

Sunset selfy by izthistaken, on Flickr

Bagged Lightning rolling by izthistaken, on Flickr
                              -Matt

http://www.facebook.com/MatthewTrombleyPhotography

1990 325i
                              1999 FRC

Flickr

Comment

Sup by Ryan Shabacon, on Flickr

DSC_5243 by Ryan Shabacon, on Flickr

wwii Bomber by Ryan Shabacon, on Flickr

plane pack by Ryan Shabacon, on Flickr

F16 vapor by Ryan Shabacon, on Flickr

DSC_4890 by Ryan Shabacon, on Flickr

DSC_4940 by Ryan Shabacon, on Flickr

F18 Sound barrier by Ryan Shabacon, on Flickr