Why the hell is r3v down so much lately?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Gooch
    replied
    In James We Trust.

    Leave a comment:


  • Bimmerman325i
    replied
    Wow, I didn't know the site was so complex to run and maintain. Kudos, James!

    Leave a comment:


  • InuFaye
    replied
    Thank for the explanation. I know how PHP can be a complete bitch sometimes.

    Leave a comment:


  • z31maniac
    replied
    So, ummmmm, yeah.

    I understood all that.

    Leave a comment:


  • ck_taft325is
    replied
    Jeez James. It's not like you're you know... doing anything. Fuck. ARE YOU DONE YET?

    Leave a comment:


  • James Crivellone
    replied
    The challenge appears to be PHP getting stuck and not recovering from the database running its daily backups.

    Several weeks ago I changed how the backups scripts are designed due to frequent corrupt backups that I could not test restore from. During this period I upgraded PHP to the latest version in the 5.2.X string, implemented a new backup NAS, and cleaned up several of the manual scripts I had written to keep the site auto-maintained throughout the time its operational.

    A few weeks after all of this happened, during the 2am backup script (which is a series of *nix shell scripts that mount a samba share (the NAS) begin a mysqldump, and clean out whatever logs I don't need anymore) the webserver (which is a separate server running Windows Server 2008 SP2) would begin getting stuck and amassing php-cgi.exe processes (microsoft and php's suggested method of using PHP on Windows is via Fast-CGI) causing the site to not respond to PHP queries. As 99% of the site IS PHP this began to cause an issue.

    At that point I made changes to the w3wp IIS worker process to attempt to isolate the amount of memory PHP could use and have it automatically recycle the process in the even that it got too high. I noticed that 99% of the time a simple IISRESET would clear the issue and the site would go back to normal performance.

    After making the changes to the worker process, and configuring automatic iis process recycling the problem appeared to have gone away.

    Yesterday PHP stopped responding completely requiring a full reboot of the server. Due to my own negligence of leaving the Seagate NAS CD in the drive the server tried to boot from that and got stuck, requiring me to go down to the datacenter and solve the issue on site. Removing the CD quickly solved that issue and got the site running again.

    This mornings issue was different. PHP was responding, however any login / database write activities caused PHP to get stuck again.

    I changed PHP back to 5.2.5 (X64) changed a few other settings and we will see how it acts this evening. If not I'll try a few other things.

    Sorry for the downtime. I don't like making large changes to the site as they can easily cause issues (like THESE).

    I'll figure it out, one way or another I'll get it stable again.

    Leave a comment:


  • CabbE30
    replied
    Down for me a lot also.

    Leave a comment:


  • slammin.e28
    replied
    It's barely up for me to post in these double posting posts.

    Leave a comment:


  • iamsam
    replied
    it has sucked for me too

    Leave a comment:


  • InuFaye
    replied
    well shit.

    Leave a comment:


  • Dj Buttchug
    replied
    Originally posted by InuFaye
    because r3v is down so much.
    double posting is what causes it to crash...

    Leave a comment:


  • E30SPDFRK
    replied
    lol

    Leave a comment:


  • InuFaye
    replied
    because r3v is down so much.

    Leave a comment:


  • slammin.e28
    replied
    why the hell do you have to double post shit!?

    Leave a comment:


  • InuFaye
    started a topic Why the hell is r3v down so much lately?

    Why the hell is r3v down so much lately?

    It seems this past week every morning the site is down.

    What gives. :hitler:
Working...