• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[ATTACH]102091[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]102092[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]102093[/ATTACH]

Comment

Anyone looking for an Alfa project? My buddy is selling one he picked a while back, but hasn't had the time to devote to it..

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ctd/5301132763.html
      1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
      2016 Ford Flex
      2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Not many of us here like post 60s spiders tbh. There are just so many of them, and in my opinion lots of them are ugly.

That is an earlier one though, so as long as its not rusty I dont think he would have issues selling it.
        1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
        willschnitz

Comment

That's pretty nice. '72 is one of the best kamm-tail Spiders. Clean body, the little chrome bumpers. '71 had the 1750, 72 is the first year of the 2-liter, with more torque.

I would just make sure those rust bubbles behind the front wheels don't go into the rocker / sill structure, or that outer rocker will need to be replaced. (replacement panels are all available)

The nose bumps have all been hit on these - not unusual. Repair or replace just that nose panel.

And you could put the headlight bubbles back on like the euro cars are.

(this is a '67-69 nose, with the bump / ridge in the center)
          Click image for larger version

Name:	111.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	7180862

Name:	112.JPG
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	7180863

Name:	113.JPG
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	7180864

Name:	115.jpg
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	7180865

Comment

The 1750 is still a better engine than the 2L. More rev happy, and not down by much hp or torque (5 hp 5 ft lbs I think?) Its also less prone to headgasket failures.

To be honest, I've never really liked any of the Spiders. The Duettos are ok, but I'd rather have an Alfa with a top on it.

Will
            '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
            '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
            '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
            '88 BMW M3

Comment

So, some update pics.

Good god that is a lot of chrome, stainless or aluminum. This is most of it, but not all of it.

Will
              '88 BMW M3

Comment

Got myself a Spider! I know nothing of Alfas, but I drove it, fell in love, and got a good deal.

07/1974 production as a 1975 model, unusual insofar as it has the steel bumpers. Converted from SPICA to Webers (running hella rich). Knackered electronics, repainted red from gray, some rust on frame (floors and rockers replaced), and needs a new tranny. Interior is trashed.

Fixed up exhaust (PO had removed resonator and had lots of leaks), got new tires, removed the hideous subwoofer box, new fluids, reinstalled choke system and rebuilt windshield washer system so far. Hopefully will have it 100% by July next year (can't work on it in winter)

Comment

Originally posted by TSI View Post
                  Got myself a Spider! I know nothing of Alfas, but I drove it, fell in love, and got a good deal.

07/1974 production as a 1975 model, unusual insofar as it has the steel bumpers. Converted from SPICA to Webers (running hella rich). Knackered electronics, repainted red from gray, some rust on frame (floors and rockers replaced), and needs a new tranny. Interior is trashed.

Fixed up exhaust (PO had removed resonator and had lots of leaks), got new tires, removed the hideous subwoofer box, new fluids, reinstalled choke system and rebuilt windshield washer system so far. Hopefully will have it 100% by July next year (can't work on it in winter)
                  If you want to know the history of your car, send Marco Fazio an email here: centrodocumentazione@alfaromeo.com

He runs the Alfa Romeo Historical center and if you supply him with the VIN he will research it and tell you when the car was built, first sold, where it was sold, what its original color was, and what the original interior was.

The SPICA system wasn't a bad system. I had the early version on my GTV and it ran great, even after sitting for 30 years. It wasn't very flexible when it comes to running larger cams, but for a stock system it was really solid. I still have the special tools to set the thing.

The good news is that parts are easy to source for your car. Check out Centerline Alfa http://www.centerlinealfa.com/ they have all the parts you could want. Depending on which rear end you have (likely the 4.56 open) its an easy swap to put a later spider 4.10 LSD in. (straight bolt in.) Another place for good info is the Alfa Bulletin Board, www.alfabb.com. More info than you can shake a stick at.

Will
                  '88 BMW M3

Comment

A highlight of from my car.

The varnish that is on it pretty much vaporizes when touched with 220 sandpaper. Its worth sending out to have professionally restored, but I don't know that I have the $$$$$$. I think I can get it pretty well cleaned up, and with a boatload of spar varnish it should be ok.

Will
                    '88 BMW M3

Comment

K. That's bad ass.
                      1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                      2016 Ford Flex
                      2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

I would think if you're careful to not sand away any actual wood, you'll be fine. Treat it like an old boat. Then some serious elbow grease and polish on the metal, but leave the pitting.

Cool to see how the inside of a Sprint was built. That rear floor pan sure looks stamped (?). Could have been hammered on a form I suppose.

Do you have the eyebrow pieces for the two front grille openings? Those seem to be always missing.

TSI - good find! Like Will says, the AlfaBB has huge resources. There's also a guy on the west coast, Alfa Parts Exchange (APE) - who has a ton of used parts.
                        http://www.alfapartsexchange.com/main.htm Centerline Alfa in Boulder CO has good springs and suspension bits, and a ton of trim items. There are also places in Germany and the UK with a lot of mechanical and restoration parts.

Lucky you didn't get the big '75 bumpers. Those on yours I believe were pushed out away from the body for the new regs, so I think you could suck both the front and back bumpers back in closer to the body.

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
                          I would think if you're careful to not sand away any actual wood, you'll be fine. Treat it like an old boat. Then some serious elbow grease and polish on the metal, but leave the pitting.

Cool to see how the inside of a Sprint was built. That rear floor pan sure looks stamped (?). Could have been hammered on a form I suppose.

Do you have the eyebrow pieces for the two front grille openings? Those seem to be always missing.
                          The panels could be stamped, but everything was assembled by hand. Yes I'm looking to treat the wheel like a wooden boat. Once I get the varnish off I'll likely polish the wood to 3000 grit sandpaper before varnishing it.

Only the 750s had the eyebrow pieces, the 101s used grills (that I have.)

101 Series

Will
                          '88 BMW M3

Comment

Oh I see...totally different shape.

Comment

I really am loving the 4C's, played with a white one on the freeway. Gorgeous.

Massive image, but I'm just following by example.

Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

1938 2900B MM Spyder, winner of the 1938 Mille Miglia

Name:	38 8C 2900 B MM Spyder.jpg
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	7180937

Winners Biondetti & Stefani

Name:	Biondett i& Stefani.jpg
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	7180938

It ran in the 1977 MM