The Alfa Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
    Gray had a confirmed 12:1 motor. Was also his mothers racecar from years and years ago....
    Oh, is it this car? I was just reading this cool story about him racing the same car his mother did back in the day. They also had a TZ, and a Giulia TI Super. A well known Alfa guy from Portland used to race with his dad. Pretty neat. The youngest son now runs the 1600 in small displacement classes. Interesting here to watch him outbrake and out-handle seemingly faster cars and stay ahead.

Nadine Brengle
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Brengle 1300.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	7201225

Name:	Monday, January 01, 2007 (43).jpg
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	7201226

Name:	Nadeene Checkered Flag.jpg
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	7201227

Name:	Mo-Tech pic Al and Nadeene.jpg
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	7201228

Gertie ran very well again. Dave and Gertie started the race and finished fourth, doing a good job of keeping up with the leading cars.
    Last edited by LateFan; 04-03-2019, 12:00 PM. Reason: brake not break!

Comment

Here's their Giulia TZ, which she also raced...

Name:	gtz04.jpg
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	7201229

Name:	Brengle Alfa.jpg
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	7201230

And this says it was one of her early Giuliettas, recently restored by someone else. Has the same black CA license plates as the black & white pics. The TZ is also being restored by the current owner in FL.

Name:	IMG_4189.jpg
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	7201231

Comment

What a life....

I was watching the Coronado video hoping the Roadster could keep him off, but it seemed like as the race went on the brakes were getting worse and worse on the Roadster...

something I will have to keep in mind as I prep mine. Also, I wonder what the weight is, because a friend in a 1600 Roadster who was racing against him was saying that the Roadster is much heavier, but Im not sure how much that actually is
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

The Wiki is telling me Giulietta Spider 1896 lbs.

Comment

I was watching the Coronado video hoping the Roadster could keep him off, but it seemed like as the race went on the brakes were getting worse and worse on the Roadster...
            It seemed like the Datsun and some others he passed could pull him on straights. Is it maybe an 1800 or 2-liter in those?

Comment

The silver one is a 2000... they are probably at least 100# more than he is. Knowing he is at 12:1 also makes me think that he has a weight advantage and isnt losing much in the BHP category
              Simon
              Current Cars:
              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
                Oh, is it this car? I was just reading this cool story about him racing the same car his mother did back in the day. They also had a TZ, and a Giulia TI Super. A well known Alfa guy from Portland used to race with his dad. Pretty neat. The youngest son now runs the 1600 in small displacement classes. Interesting here to watch him outbrake and out-handle seemingly faster cars and stay ahead.

Nadine Brengle
                [ATTACH]126905[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]126906[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]126907[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]126908[/ATTACH]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy1uIdyHf0s
                Wow, two Datsun roadsters in that field, I know the silver one is a 2 liter like mine. Its actually a really interesting car with some awesome history. Owned by a guy by the name of Craig Carter. I don't know the other car, but I think its a 1600. The silver 2 liter is really slow in the corners, I'm thinking this might have been its first race post restoration, its really all over the place in a corner. The driver also can't pic a good line to save his life.

Will
                '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
                '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
                '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
                '88 BMW M3

Comment

[ATTACH]126996[/ATTACH]

Comment

The silver one is a 2000... they are probably at least 100# more than he is. Knowing he is at 12:1 also makes me think that he has a weight advantage and isnt losing much in the BHP category
                    The roadster has more tire and more brakes. Whatever pads Craig Carter was using on his car really weren't up to the task. The widest tire that will clear under a 1600 Spider fender without flairs is a 185. I'd bet Craig was running 205s on his car. I can clear 225s under my fenders.

Weight wise, my car is about 1900 lbs based off what "Spike" weighed when Garm built it. (A car and former owner from the Datsun roadster forum) I'm fairly sure this race was Craigs first in the car, and it likely needed a lot of sorting.

Will
                    '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
                    '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
                    '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
                    '88 BMW M3

Comment

[ATTACH]127043[/ATTACH]

Comment

Australia - '66 GT with twin spark conversion.

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

Name:	image-1.jpg
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	7201324

Name:	image.jpg
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	7201326

Name:	Alfa - Joseph(1).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	7201325

Comment

Australia - '66 GT with twin spark conversion.

[ATTACH]127091[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]127093[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]127092[/ATTACH]
                          Stunning!

Sent from my smart phone using Tapatalk
                          R135 /// 1990 Alpinweiß II 325is
                          └┼┼┘ /// 1993 Black/Black Convertible (sold)

Comment

Name:	Alfa Kimi.jpg
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	7201430

At least we can pretend it's actually an Alfa.

Comment

T-33 flat 12
                              NA 3.0 520 hp
                              Turbo 2.1 640 hp.

This is the NA 3-liter. I like the hillccaimb at the very end the best.
                              The Alfa 33 SC was built in 1976 in order to replace the succesful 1975 Alfa Romeo 33 TT. The main change was made on the chassis of the car. In fact the cha...

And this is cool - a guy named Hans Sipma filmed this in Super 8 (!) in 1985 at the Monterey Historics when Alfa was featured. Starts out sappy, but an unbelievable collection of racing Alfas and great noises, and the great Fangio driving his world champion 159 again. Also bonus Phil Hill and Jackie Stewart. I think the mechanics are speaking Italian with Phil Hill. Listen to those straight 8's with blowers! What a badass car that was.

Some weird WWI era huge Fiat in there as well, and a see a Lotus Elan on the track. Then towards the end is Hans in-car video on track in his Giulietta Sprint thru the corkscrew. Then some great multi-class vintage racing at the end....250GT vs Corvette, sweet.

Per Einarsson http://www.ultimostile.com Back in 1985 the Monterey Historic Races at Laguna Seca had Alfa Romeo as the featured marque. Among the many fantas...

Comment

[ATTACH]127302[/ATTACH]

At least we can pretend it's actually an Alfa.

The ice man cometh!
                                I do things.

Comment

Working...
                                X