No announcement yet.

One step closer (building a garage)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FAILED, for a couple things the builder missed. They have to come back and add more nails to the vertical truss supports that tie the trusses to the header. Also since thet didn't call for an inspection before they put up the stone wainscoting, the inspector wants proof that they used both tarpaper and tyveck house wrap on the OSB behind the stone. Plus they don't have enough supports behind the OSB that it's all hung on. I called the builder after the inspector left and gave them his number, tomorrow I will be calling them first thing to find out what is scheduled and when. I have to go now, I'm going to pour some salt in my eyes to get my mind off my unusable garage.
    sigpic

Comment

Wow, I would be having some serious words with my builder with issues like that. Trying to cut corners and save a buck is not the way things should go.
      https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Originally posted by bmwstudent View Post
        FAILED, for a couple things the builder missed. They have to come back and add more nails to the vertical truss supports that tie the trusses to the header. Also since thet didn't call for an inspection before they put up the stone wainscoting, the inspector wants proof that they used both tarpaper and tyveck house wrap on the OSB behind the stone. Plus they don't have enough supports behind the OSB that it's all hung on. I called the builder after the inspector left and gave them his number, tomorrow I will be calling them first thing to find out what is scheduled and when. I have to go now, I'm going to pour some salt in my eyes to get my mind off my unusable garage.
        There's some very particular ways to nail/staple/fold Tyvek by the way. It's not a hang it and side it type of deal.
        Need a part? PM me.

Get your Bass on. Luke's r3v Boxes are here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=198123

Comment

The inspector told me the stone work has to come off anyway due to the supports behind the OSB being missing. It will all be on their tab, gotta love a contract. I still owe them about ten grand. Don't worry, I won't be paying them until I have a C.O. and even then I will probably make them wait for it. After all I've been waiting for them to finish this for almost six months. This entire project should have been completed in three weeks.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bmwstudent View Post
            Building is underway. All but two of the poles are in(they left them out so the lift can get in to set the roof trusses). So far so good. That's 2000sq feet of man cave. More to come....

Out of curiosity, is there a reason why you built the frame before pouring the slab? Are the poles on their own footings or sonotubes separate from the slab?

Comment

Originally posted by structured View Post
              Out of curiosity, is there a reason why you built the frame before pouring the slab? Are the poles on their own footings or sonotubes separate from the slab?

Thats how Pole buildings are built. Poles are sunk 3-4ft in the ground and cemented. Then usually after the building is dried in the concrete gets poured for the slab.
              sigpic

Comment

I had my 20'x30' pole barn built by CB structures. There was an issue with the inspector, and CB handled it pretty well, especially considering the inspector was wrong in the matter.
                Basically the inspector told them the building was over sized and they would need to move a wall, once CB applied for the variance, the inspector backed down.
                Oh, and the concrete sub-contractor didn't call before pouring, so they had to drill a core to prove there was 4", but that wasn't a huge deal.

My buddy just built a 20'x20' garage, did the labor himself, and spent about the same money i did.

Overall i was pretty pleased with everything.

Comment

Originally posted by brent5631 View Post
                  Thats how Pole buildings are built. Poles are sunk 3-4ft in the ground and cemented. Then usually after the building is dried in the concrete gets poured for the slab.
                  I see. I couldn't tell from the picture that they were in concrete below the frost line. Still seems strange to me, though. In my profession it is generally thought that it is bad to embed wood in concrete due to rotting, moisture, shrinkage and other issues.

Garage looks sick regardless! Very jealous.

Comment

Yes, I thought it was strange too that the poles are in the ground. They are treated and they are set in concrete. Spoke to the builder today, they are in contact with the inspector and are going over what needs to be corrected. My wife called them too and really chewed them out. We are playing good cop bad cop. On another note, I got my crank wiper today from I.E., installed that along with new oil pump on my rebuild.
                    sigpic

Comment

How does the "burned" finish on the concrete compare to epoxy, or even polished concrete?
                      Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
                      Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
                      One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Basically it's just finished with a very "tight" or non porous top. It might be what your referring to as polished. Imagine the finish you see when you walk into a lowes or home depot. I can get pics tomorrow and post them up. I finished the floor with a product called aqua-pel. It's a moisture barrier/sealant. It prevents concrete dusting and makes the surface impervious to water.
                        sigpic

Comment

Still no cert, but I've moved in anyway. The builder has been going back and forth with the county guy for the last few weeks over the stone facade. They didn't get an inspection before they put it up and they had to prove that they put up two vapor barriers before it was installed. I'm so frustrated with this project at this point I've given up being angry. I can't let my blood pressure get out of control or my eyes will pop out of my head. The latest from the builder is "the county has everything they need and they are reviewing it now, we should know something in a day or two." I don't know if I'll ever pay them the remaining 8k.
                          Attached Files
                          sigpic

Comment

Got a call from the inspector about one hour ago, he is scheduled to be here within the next hour. So, I raced home and I'm waiting for him. I should know something soon.
                            sigpic

Comment

I spy an s38!
                              SO MUCH MORE TO DO!!
                              IG: ohthejosh

LEGIT CHECK ME BRUH
                              BUYER FEEDBACK THREAD

Comment

I got it. Finally. And now some cars can come home.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X