One step closer (building a garage)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One step closer (building a garage)

Lines and grades are finished, plans are drawn up, meeting with the department of land use is over. In the county I live in you cannot build a structure larger than the footprint of your primary dwelling. So I had to apply for a variance with the county in order to do so. The meeting was tonight, and it went well. It was quick and pretty painless. The county planner recommended for approval of the variance and none of the board members even asked me any questions. The head board member even told me he would take into consideration that my property is .04 acres short of being large enough to not even need a variance for what I'm building.
    So hopefully by late September I'll be parking my cars in a 40x50 pole barn. Twelve foot ceiling( so the lift will fit), four 10x10 doors, two man doors, six windows. Stone facade wainscoting, on the front , two tone on the rest of the sides. White reflective metal ceiling, fully insulated roof and walls.
    Next up is site work. It's slab on grade construction so I've got to get someone to come in with a small dozer and do some grading, plus I'll need a few loads of dirt. I hope to be done before winter, wish me luck. I've been jerking around with building this for three years, finally a little light at the end of the tunnel.
    sigpic

heh, all of our dreams. congrats.
    AWD > RWD

Comment

Take lots of pics for us!

Comment

So jelly! Take lots of pics and document expenditures/receipts I would love to see how this unfolds and what it would cost to do something similar.

Comment

Awesome!! Me and my dad have been wanting to build I nice shop forever now. He does boat restoration and I do most of the work on his cars as well as mine and we could really use the space. Good luck with the construction, that shop should have plenty of room.

http://halden-fabricius.tumblr.com/

Comment

Sounds like a badass garage.
            I have lots of plans for mine. I want to get a long benchtop with build in cabinets underneath, a 2 post lift, epoxy or urethane coat the floor, ... once I save up more moneys
            Zinno '89 <24v swap in progress>

Comment

build thread. nau.

Comment

In for the pictures.

Comment

If you aren't signed up here:

Do it.

And I'm sorry, your free time is now less and forum browsing time just doubled.
                  Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

My excitment.

I don't even own this car anymore, but I'm too lazy to change the picture.

Comment

Jealous, my neighbor is being a thorn in my side. I am looking to build a 40x32 It will be an attached unit. It will double as a fence too.
                      https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Pics pics pics

Comment

Sounds awesome. What's that running you about $80k? I wanted to build a garage as well but $$$ and easement issues preventing that right now.
                          sigpic

Comment

37k for the structure as described. Gonna be another 10k for concrete and asphalt, I'm doing that with the help of my fathers friend. Site work (grading) is going to be another 1.5k. Then i get to wire it, install lift and heater, lighting and hopefully a nice epoxy coated floor. I'm thinking around 65k completed. I'll be doing everything except the site work and the actual construction of the pole barn.
                            sigpic

Comment

No pics yet, but i do have plans on paper from the builder. I'll try to get a good pic of them and post it.The variance was granted but anyone can appeal the variance for thirty days, so i can't get a permit until 8/26. But after that it will be full steam ahead.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X