No announcement yet.

One step closer (building a garage)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looks good dude! im glad i looked this up!

Comment

Electric is in the building, Lift is installed (partially). Pics to follow.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bmwstudent View Post
        FAILED, the inspector wants proof that they used both tarpaper and tyveck house wrap on the OSB behind the stone.
        I hope your contractor chewed the inspector a new asshole for this for a couple of reasons;

first of all an inspector can't make somebody do something that's not in the code book just because he thinks it's right nor can he fail an inspection because of it.

second, the code would never require both tyvek and tarpaper to be applied to a sidewall. the reason is because tyvek is a water resistant, vapor permeable membrane. tarpaper is both water and vapor impermeable. by using both it renders both products ineffective. if the inspector was mistaken and meant to say felt paper which happens to be water resistant and vapor permeable then using both would be redundant and a waste of the contractor's and the client's time and money.

third, this being a garage and not a residency, chances are you don't have a permit to 'condition' the building, in other words you can not prepare it to be lived in. in most parts of this country an unconditioned building doesn't even require a 'WRB' (water resistant barrier).

fourth, in my 45 years as a builder I have seen more then my share of inspectors who's resume includes being a failure at contracting, the other job requirement appears to be having an axe to grind. the building inspector and ultimately the building department likes to push the industry around even though in the end they assume no liabilities. if the inspector would like to be part of the team, me, the owner, my crew and my subs then I will listen and consider any reasonable request on his part, but if he just wants to push his weight around and bust my ass well that's why I carry the lastest version of the building code in my truck, and I know how to read it better then he does!

incidently, nice garage, I'm jealous.

Comment

Yea, inspectors suck. But I passed and I'm in the building now so, I'm pretty pleased.
          sigpic

Comment

It's been a while since I've posted in this thread, thought I'd give an update. I have power and water in the building. There are some light hung, outlets on two of the walls and the ceiling, a 9k lift, and a lot more to accomplish.
            sigpic

Comment

living the dream dude
              2014 Alpine White 335i MSport
              (Daily Driver)
              Full Mperformance Aero

2007 Black Sapphire Metallic E92 335i (6MT)
              KW V2 Coilovers
              VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

wow i am jealous.

i have no idea what i am doing with my life

Comment

about how much would you say the garage has run you so far?

very inspiring.

Comment

I noticed that your driveway goes downhill to the garage. Have you done something to assure that rain water won't enter the garage? It's not so much of an issue now with the stone, but it might be when the driveway is paved.

Mine's a little 30x40x10. If you end up anywhere near the $65K you quoted at the start of this thread, you'll have a helluva deal.

What are doing for heat?

Comment

I'm somewhere around 60k now. And that's with most of the labor (minus erecting the building) on me. I plan on installing a slot drain across the front of the building when I pave it. It already has a decent rise in front of the build you really can't make out in the pics. So far I haven't had any issues and we have had some serious storms this year. I haven't come to a decision yet on heat.
                      sigpic

Comment

How was progress on this over this summer?
                        Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                        The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Working...
                        X