Comment

^ 2x as expensive as any of our builds on here XD

also it helps when u state you resolution and FPS together
      IE: i can get 70fps on 1366x769 where ill get 40fps 1920x1080

Comment

I'm still only running 1080p.
        No E30 Club
        Originally posted by MrBurgundy
        Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Been messing with my list again. I think I'm reaching a happy medium.

Decided to ditch the i7 for the i5 because I think the i5 will be fine for a few years gaming-wise and I don't think I will be doing super intensive modeling or video editing anytime soon, just moderate stuff. I also figured I would want more than 1TB of storage so I changed it out for a 3TB one. I replaced the Z87 motherboard with a Z97 one for futureproofing purposes. I downgraded the RAM to 8gb because that's an easy upgrade if the time comes. Finally I got rid of the fully modular power supply in favor of a semi modular one 20 bucks is 20 bucks after all.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.89 @ OutletPC)
          CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.98 @ OutletPC)
          Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($137.94 @ OutletPC)
          Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.98 @ OutletPC)
          Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($119.28 @ Amazon)
          Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($44.99 @ Best Buy)
          Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($44.99 @ Best Buy)
          Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card ($328.99 @ Directron)
          Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($74.99 @ Micro Center)
          Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)

Total: $1155.02
          Last edited by lambo; 02-19-2015, 08:39 PM.

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
          Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Good call choosing the i5 over the i7; the i5 will be plenty. The i5 machine I built 3 years ago is still just fine.

The 3TB Seagate drives have the highest failure rate of any drive on the market by at least triple whatever had the second most failures. If I can find the source where I saw that I'll post it, but suffice it to say you should buy ANYTHING but that one.
            Originally posted by kronus
            would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Originally posted by kickinindian View Post
              ^ 2x as expensive as any of our builds on here XD

also it helps when u state you resolution and FPS together
              IE: i can get 70fps on 1366x769 where ill get 40fps 1920x1080
              More like add another zero onto the end of your price.

Comment

Yeah, I've had a few seagates die over the years. Strangely they come back to life if I run the seatools software and do the tests and things. It has something to do with losing sectors in the index and the drive not moving them automatically.

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post
                  Good call choosing the i5 over the i7; the i5 will be plenty. The i5 machine I built 3 years ago is still just fine.

The 3TB Seagate drives have the highest failure rate of any drive on the market by at least triple whatever had the second most failures. If I can find the source where I saw that I'll post it, but suffice it to say you should buy ANYTHING but that one.
                  Damn... I didn't look into them at all. No wonder they're so inexpensive...

On second thought I think I will do 2x1TB drives so I can section one for games/programs and then the other for media stuff.

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                  Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

WD hard drives buy them just for th the warranty they are awesome and are pretty reliable too!

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
                      Jesus Christ... what were buying for $2600?
                      I think it was actually close to $2400 or something, but this is the overview:

Asus z97-pro with Wifi for motherboard ~ $250

i7 4790k processor ~ $300

PNY Quadro K2000 Pro 2gb for GC ~ $460

16gb Hyperx Fury for ram ~ $170

Samsung Pro 250GB SSD ~ $175

2x WD 1tb for general storage ~ $140

EVGA 750W Gold for power supply ~ $160

27" Samsung and off brand 21" moniter ~ $350

Tower ~ $90

Windows 8.1 ~ $100

Then random stuff here and there.

Go here be happy!

Ratchet Garage e30 V8 build.

Comment

Home:

27 inch imac, 3.5ghz i7

Work:

6 core 3.5ghz Xeon E5 Mac PRO + 27 inch thunderbolt display
                        15 inch Macbook Pro i7

Bit boring vs. the fun you guys have rolling your own!

Works for me though... they just work, while I tinker with my car in my spare time :)
                        My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Foxconn H97M atx LGA1150 Motherboard
                          i5 4590 3.70ghz Proccessor
                          aerocool 750w Power Supply
                          1tb Seagate 7200rpm Hard Drive.

There is lots more to add on, but for now it's perfect for me.
                          1990 325i
                          2004 330i Individual 6-speed
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post
                            Home:

27 inch imac, 3.5ghz i7

Work:

6 core 3.5ghz Xeon E5 Mac PRO + 27 inch thunderbolt display
                            15 inch Macbook Pro i7

Bit boring vs. the fun you guys have rolling your own!

Works for me though... they just work, while I tinker with my car in my spare time :)
                            I got a really cheap 27" display so i can remote in from home. Now my 24" at work seems so small! might buy a second one and use my 24" as the second display. :)
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post

Meh, now you've got me scared! I've got the Seagate 3tb. There are going to be HD failures no matter which brand you get. I've been happy with my seagate as have a couple of my buddies who've had theirs for 3+ years.

Comment

Hard drive reliability comes and goes with all brands. Putting your focus on how you will retain your data in a failure situation is worth more of your time than fretting over which one will last the longest without worrying about recovery of data. The great news is that platter drives are so cheap these days and RAID comes standard on all mobos that it's almost idiotic not to setup a redundant/mirrored raid array of some sort when you spec out your build.

Comment

Working...
                                X