No announcement yet.

Computer thread!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why would your GTX 770 be affected by this? The whole idea is that Nvidia has its dirty hands dipped in the development process so developers will optimize games for their cards and not AMD's.

Nvidia needs to get its act together. Doubtful that will happen, though. This isn't dissuading me from an Nvidia card at all as I don't see the merits of an AMD card and AMD's processors have been lagging for a little bit now. Hopefully their Xen line ups the ante.

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
    Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by e30onBBSs View Post

My setup, 1tb. 125SSD, 2x gtx760 4gb, 16gb ram, i5, 750watt

Used to be crazy about gaming and built it with a friend, spent ~$1700 on everything probably a year back. Thats including a mic, mouse, mousepad, monitor, keyboard, cd drive etc. It's a beast!! I can't find a game it won't run on max settings
      is that Cpu cooler on the wrong way? the fan should be pointing towards the back right?

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
        Why would your GTX 770 be affected by this? The whole idea is that Nvidia has its dirty hands dipped in the development process so developers will optimize games for their cards and not AMD's.

Nvidia needs to get its act together. Doubtful that will happen, though. This isn't dissuading me from an Nvidia card at all as I don't see the merits of an AMD card and AMD's processors have been lagging for a little bit now. Hopefully their Xen line ups the ante.
        Read it again, they are biasing Nvidia Gameworks for their newer maxwell cores, giving poor performance to kepler core owners and horrendous performance to AMD card owners.

Its 90s intel all over again IMO.
        1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
        willschnitz

Comment

Originally posted by kickinindian View Post
          is that Cpu cooler on the wrong way? the fan should be pointing towards the back right?
          You can mount it either way, heat rises so some people face it vertical.

Mines sideways though:

Noctua all the things!

Ignore ghetto pencil case GPU support.
          willschnitz

Comment

^ nice comp! You got gta?

I think my fan is the right way, i have left it on overnight for like 5 days to render something and it didn't even blink!
            BMW tech
            Umass Amherst
            05 wrx sti

Comment

^ nice comp! You got gta?

I think my fan is the right way, i have left it on overnight for like 5 days to render something and it didn't even blink!
              The way it's mounted it looks like the CPU fan is blowing the hot "exhaust" from the CPU onto the back of the video card. I would flip it 180 so it blows up and out of the case. But if the fan is actually blowing up through the cooling fins then I would leave it.
              My Feedback

Comment

Pushing air through the fins is more efficient from what I've found.

And yeah I have GTA
                willschnitz

Comment

Originally posted by Wschnitz View Post
                  Read it again, they are biasing Nvidia Gameworks for their newer maxwell cores, giving poor performance to kepler core owners and horrendous performance to AMD card owners.

Its 90s intel all over again IMO.

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                  Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

wait, so newer, cheaper video cards outperform older, more expensive cards..

uhh. So, how long have you been building computers? :p

The posts about the VooDoo cards bring back some memories. I used to have a dual CPU setup with a VooDoo5 & Voodoo3 on an overclocked AGP bus (the Nvidia cards at the time didn't like having a 2x speed AGP bus, but the VooDoo didn't care). haha. Actually, it held it's own for way longer than anyone gave 3DFX credit for. I used 3rd party drivers for a long time after they went defunct, I think eventually my motherboard just died (probably from all the hardware mods I had to do to overclock it - nothing in the bios, so I swapped crystals) and I had to move on.
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

The difference is some of these cards are less then a year old, and that they perform fine in almost any other game that isn't nvidia game works run.

Aka game works is setup to push people to buy new cards.
                      willschnitz

Comment

You can find examples in both camps where they reuse older GPU's on newer cards. The r7 260x is a rebadged 7790. :)

Here's my current wish list build for this year from Newegg.

Cooler Master HAF 912 (finally time to retire the Lian Li PC-70 to File Server status. Best case ever owned!)
                        ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z AM3+ AMD 990FX
                        EVGA SuperNOVA 850W PSU
                        AMD FX-9370 Vishera 4.4GHz Socket AM3+ 220W 8-Core Desktop Processor - Black Edition FD9370FHHKWOX with Liquid Cooling Kit
                        G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 2133
                        Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s (x4 for RAID)
                        Extra case fans

I already have an R9 290 GPU

Comment

My setup, 1tb. 125SSD, 2x gtx760 4gb, 16gb ram, i5, 750watt

Used to be crazy about gaming and built it with a friend, spent ~$1700 on everything probably a year back. Thats including a mic, mouse, mousepad, monitor, keyboard, cd drive etc. It's a beast!! I can't find a game it won't run on max settings
                          Tried The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt yet? I've heard it's pretty crazy on max settings. Was reading about it the other day.
                          Originally posted by flyboyx
                          how about if i yank the anal beads out of your ass like i'm trying to pull start a chain saw?
                          Originally posted by Northern
                          beer is my new liver cleanse.

Henna - '84 Hennarot 325e
                          Lola - '89 Schwarz 325is - being saved
                          Christine - '88 Schwarz 325is - Spec E30 Racecar
                          '01 White F150 Lariat 4x4 Supercrew - Daily
                          Dad's '05 Interlagosblau M3

Comment

Originally posted by HennaE30 View Post
                            Tried The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt yet? I've heard it's pretty crazy on max settings. Was reading about it the other day.

No I haven't. Is it worth the $?
                            BMW tech
                            Umass Amherst
                            05 wrx sti

Comment

No I haven't. Is it worth the $?
                              I played it a little on my sisters Bfs computer yesterday and it looks fun as shit, i just bought it and am in the process of installing it right now. Whats your steam name?
                              Originally posted by flyboyx
                              how about if i yank the anal beads out of your ass like i'm trying to pull start a chain saw?
                              Originally posted by Northern
                              beer is my new liver cleanse.

Henna - '84 Hennarot 325e
                              Lola - '89 Schwarz 325is - being saved
                              Christine - '88 Schwarz 325is - Spec E30 Racecar
                              '01 White F150 Lariat 4x4 Supercrew - Daily
                              Dad's '05 Interlagosblau M3

Comment

Originally posted by HennaE30 View Post
                                I played it a little on my sisters Bfs computer yesterday and it looks fun as shit, i just bought it and am in the process of installing it right now. Whats your steam name?
                                my steam name is e30onbbss as well, do you have GTA V?
                                BMW tech
                                Umass Amherst
                                05 wrx sti

Comment

Working...
                                X