Computer thread!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
    My build is all black lol and I'm a big gay and want to keep that way.

Plus, the RGB shid is cool.

I know noctuas will probably out live three generations of my family, but I def would like an all black fan with rgb features.
    Yeah no rgb stuff with the Noctua's, but you can get the rubber isolators in black to replace the dumb brown ones and have all black fans

The NA-SAVP1 chromax.black is a fan accessory set consisting of 16 black NA-AVP1 anti-vibration pads for up to 2 compatible 120/140mm fans (see compatibility info). Made from extra-soft silicone, the NA-AVP1 pads minimise the transmission of minute vibrations while maintaining full compatibility with standard fan screws and most other mounting systems. At the same time, the chromax.black edition is ideal for creating all-black builds with Noctua’s chromax & industrialPPC fans. The NA-AVP1 anti-vibration pads are compatible with the Noctua fans listed here. Please note that the NA-AVP1 pads cannot be used with other fans and are not compatible with third-party fans.

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
    Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Corsair ML and LL fans are really good too.
      1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
      willschnitz

Comment

Went to micro center and got 5 LL140s

Initial impression is good. Seems like they’re really well made.

Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

They would be my second choice after noctuas for sure. Id expect the ML's to last forever because of the design.
          willschnitz

Comment

Best case ever made? Perhaps not. But it's better then the pro 4U rack server I upgraded to Was too loud, and too big. A pro 19" rack 4u server is huge - Good for fitting 10-15 drives in, but....

- I went back to this. 1999(?) IBM Intellistation Mpro case. Because I don't care what it looks like. It just has to fit a bunch of drives, a long video card, and have a handle on top to carry it when needed. No one ever paid me cause I have a glass window on my PC/OSX. :) It's a tool, not a prom date.

Last edited by george graves; 08-03-2019, 06:16 AM.
            Originally posted by Matt-B
            hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

I appreciate when people do a build with an existing case. IDK, call me weird.

I've been thinking about a new desktop for almost a year now but caved and bought a used 3rd gen Thinkpad X1 Carbon for school last fall and couldn't justify buying anything...

Now I'm starting to get the itch again, currently looking at this:

(also have a GTX1070, 650W PSU, and peripherals lying around)

Mostly for Solidworks and games, but also FEM/FEA for class and for FSAE, maybe more.
              I've been back and forth on whether to buy a new case or to reuse an old Antec Super Lanboy in so-so condition. Save $100 and suffer a broken front header, some missing blank plates, and only 2 fans? I don't know.
              Originally posted by priapism
              My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
              Originally posted by shameson
              Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
                Best case ever made? Perhaps not. But it's better then the pro 4U rack server I upgraded to Was too loud, and too big. A pro 19" rack 4u server is huge - Good for fitting 10-15 drives in, but....

- I went back to this. 1999(?) IBM Intellistation Mpro case. Because I don't care what it looks like. It just has to fit a bunch of drives, a long video card, and have a handle on top to carry it when needed. No one ever paid me cause I have a glass window on my PC/OSX. :) It's a tool, not a prom date.

If you want something nicer George you should look at BeQuiet's stuff

Their OG 900 holds 7HDDs out of the box, the new one can hold more if you get more cages AFAIK. And they are built to be quiet.

willschnitz

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                  I appreciate when people do a build with an existing case. IDK, call me weird.

I've been thinking about a new desktop for almost a year now but caved and bought a used 3rd gen Thinkpad X1 Carbon for school last fall and couldn't justify buying anything...

Now I'm starting to get the itch again, currently looking at this:

(also have a GTX1070, 650W PSU, and peripherals lying around)

Mostly for Solidworks and games, but also FEM/FEA for class and for FSAE, maybe more.
                  I've been back and forth on whether to buy a new case or to reuse an old Antec Super Lanboy in so-so condition. Save $100 and suffer a broken front header, some missing blank plates, and only 2 fans? I don't know.
                  CAD prices yikers

IDK if anything on this list is cheaper in CAD but they are the parts I currently recommend based on price and perf.

Meshify C is just a better case overall, RAM has better timings out of the box and has room for even tighter timings or more speed, and SSD is just cheaper and better.
                  willschnitz

Comment

Originally posted by Wschnitz View Post

CAD prices yikers

IDK if anything on this list is cheaper in CAD but they are the parts I currently recommend based on price and perf.

Meshify C is just a better case overall, RAM has better timings out of the box and has room for even tighter timings or more speed, and SSD is just cheaper and better.
                    Thanks for the feedback! I don't need PCIE 4.0 so I don't think I need to bother with an X570? I can essentially get a top tier B450 for the price of a garbo tier X570 and I don't think I really do anything to notice a difference(?). This is probably the last round of AM4 anyway, so I don't see any "future proofing" happening. Biggest difference is I wouldn't be limited to 3200MHz with a newer mobo - with the one you selected, it opens me up to some cheapish 3600MHz sticks for no extra cost, if that is at all beneficial (I don't know enough)

Based on 335,188 user benchmarks for the Crucial P1 3D NVMe PCIe M.2 and the Intel 660p NVMe PCIe M.2, we rank them both on effective speed and value for money against the best 1,072 SSDs.

Seems to show the Crucial is slightly better for $5 more? hardly any difference though according to this.

I looked at the fractal meshify case, and I really like it except the "wrinkly" front. That's the big turnoff, but it's also $31 more ($115 vs $84). There are some other Corsair cases I like, mostly the super cheap ones with blank fronts. I had the line drawn at $100 CAD originally, IDK how I feel now.

RAM suggestion sounds good, thanks.

Comment

CAD Prices are so wack.

Reason i suggested X570 is don't have to worry about it not being Ryzen 2 ready. AFAIK like B350 had to be updated via BIOS for Ryzen+ If you have time you could also wait a month or two for B550 to come out.

in terms of RAM you want both good timings and good speed, 3600mhz doesnt matter if your timings are sloppy CAS19 or similar.

I wouldn't trust Userbenchmark and with an NVMe there is almost no way you will know difference, so pick the cheapest most highly rated one you can find, if you have never ordered off google express you could probably get the SSD for $75-80 USD or whatever cad Eq.
                      willschnitz

Comment

RAM speeds on a ryzen make a difference
                        Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

CAD Prices are so wack.
                          lol you're telling me

Reason i suggested X570 is don't have to worry about it not being Ryzen 2 ready. AFAIK like B350 had to be updated via BIOS for Ryzen+ If you have time you could also wait a month or two for B550 to come out.
                          MSI released bios updates for their B450 motherboards for Zen2 CPUs, and the two B450 boards I was considering, the B450 Tomahawk and B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC, both have MSI's Flashback so I just need a USB stick to update the bios. Potentially some revision of the Tomahawk coming soon that is compatible out of the box also.

I also decided I'm going to reuse my old Antec Super Lanboy case/fans to save the $100. Might be a mistake, but whatever.

Comment

Cheap ass build I did for a friend with an fx-8xxx black and I think a gtx 760 had to cut costs so used the OG dell case but I opened up the front and obviously moded a side panel for more air flow

Also had to cut holes for an evo 212 cpu cooler heat pipe tops

Was such a fun hack cheapo build to do XD

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
                              RAM speeds on a ryzen make a difference
                              Only if you don't sacrifice timings.

CL16 3600Mhz is the ideal for Ryzen 2 AFAIK.

Im tempted to pop a 3600 in my B350-I and yolo it.
                              willschnitz

Comment

Currently everything in this list is on the way or currently exists in some form at my house:

I shaved another $100 by sacrificing RAM speed/timings and running a different B450 board. Honestly I haven't build a PC since like 2005-2007 and will not notice the difference in performance from the RAM as long as it works.
                                It cost me an extra $25 to order everything through amazon at once, and influenced the ram/SSD/mobo decisions a bit.
                                I've had people question the 32gb of RAM, but I had a discussion with our old FSAE lead Eng and he thinks that I "might get away with" 32GB for simulation work...

EDIT: It's worth mentioning that these prices are CAD, not USD
                                Last edited by Northern; 08-16-2019, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X