Nonsense Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
    ^ the automotive world has mostly gone to metric for hardware already.

Now the rail road? Yea that shit is all in standard.
    By "standard", you mean metric? That ass backwards imperial measurement system is far from standard.

Also, think I may have fixed my fuse issue. Swapped the RH tail light assembly and it's been all good since.

Comment

No, you see here in the States the two systems are referred to as Metric and Standard.

Honestly its not that hard to understand either. Metric is easier yes, but if your not a complete idiot it doesn't effect every day life at all.
      No E30 Club
      Originally posted by MrBurgundy
      Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Swanny!
        SUCKERS.

Comment

Soo I'm a freshman college student and I have no fucking clue what I am going to do with my life. I know cars are going to stay as a hobby, but I'm not smart what so ever. Fuck.
          1991 325i Calypso Coupe

Like Grandfather, Like Father, Like Son
          BMW

Comment

Originally posted by Zreberlcoe View Post
            Soo I'm a freshman college student and I have no fucking clue what I am going to do with my life. I know cars are going to stay as a hobby, but I'm not smart what so ever. Fuck.
            Same. It sucks.

Comment

If you are saying that, don't make it your career. I suggest something that will give you a 9-5 for somebody else and a six-digit income, get that, then your hobby becomes that much better.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke Girard View Post
                Same. It sucks.
                I hope you are both saving money by just knocking out gen ed classes at community college if you have no idea what you're going for. Student loans add up fast.

Comment

I once drove up to Seattle with two strippers. They told me that average weekend stripper money was in excess of $4500 in San Francisco. That's what you two should do. Become strippers and make lots of money to make that booty clap.
                  world renown Harry Potter expert
                  sigpic

Comment

I am 29 and just figured out what I want to do with my career.

One word of advise, do not believe in the bullshit do what you love etc etc. This will only end up turn something you enjoy that is maybe a hobby as well into a chore as you will be doing it day in and day out.

Also most hobbies have a huge following like cars, chances are what ever you are thinking of doing someone or more have already done it. Ultimately ending in your demise.

So what do you do. Well you have two options go for a narrow path one find something you are good at doing and work with that. Not a bad option and if you are luck you will be working on some legacy shit that only you and a handful of people know, allowing you to charge huge amounts of money.

My path is more broad, I want to be a business analyst, ultimately it will be in IT as I work in HP at the moment and have been offered to do some work on the side as a BA. The good thing with being a BA or Manager or Project Manager etc is it is so diverse if you loose your job there is always some where else looking.

One other thing. Get a job in a large multinational, then make sure they have a mentoring program. It is the best thing I ever did mine mentor is the Director for "Asia Pacific Japan" has offered great advise, help in difficult situations and is a great connection when I want to move to new roles with in the company.

Don't waste your time trying to figure out what you want to do now, go get your self a job in big business, even if you have to be the shit kicker. Work hard as always, respect your managers no matter what some can be real ass holes but remember they will not be your manager forever, and first and foremost remember to always think "Business" it all boils down to money.

That is the one piece that has helped me move well and beyond the rest always look at ways to improve the business to where you will see a financial gain for them. While you will not get any bonus out of this it will line you up to move up quick and fast.

That is the one mistake everyone makes always wanting more money for something they did. No business I have ever worked for has ever gave someone a rise because they had an idea. You only get a rise when you change job title that comes with a cost code change.

This is my advise and has served me well. I have only been in the IT business for 1.8 years and am already looking at a BA role, I am currently a team leader for a service desk, also have no education in IT, management or BA.

As always sometimes there are exceptions to the rules but not often.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Andy.B View Post
                      I hope you are both saving money by just knocking out gen ed classes at community college if you have no idea what you're going for. Student loans add up fast.
                      Yes I currently go to Mt. San Antonio Community College =)

Originally posted by phreshkid View Post
                      I once drove up to Seattle with two strippers. They told me that average weekend stripper money was in excess of $4500 in San Francisco. That's what you two should do. Become strippers and make lots of money to make that booty clap.
                      I would love to be a stripper but I don't have washboard abs. I do love to dance though and I'm good at it to.

Originally posted by Massimo View Post
                      I am 29 and just figured out what I want to do with my career.

One word of advise, do not believe in the bullshit do what you love etc etc. This will only end up turn something you enjoy that is maybe a hobby as well into a chore as you will be doing it day in and day out.

Also most hobbies have a huge following like cars, chances are what ever you are thinking of doing someone or more have already done it. Ultimately ending in your demise.

So what do you do. Well you have two options go for a narrow path one find something you are good at doing and work with that. Not a bad option and if you are luck you will be working on some legacy shit that only you and a handful of people know, allowing you to charge huge amounts of money.

My path is more broad, I want to be a business analyst, ultimately it will be in IT as I work in HP at the moment and have been offered to do some work on the side as a BA. The good thing with being a BA or Manager or Project Manager etc is it is so diverse if you loose your job there is always some where else looking.

One other thing. Get a job in a large multinational, then make sure they have a mentoring program. It is the best thing I ever did mine mentor is the Director for "Asia Pacific Japan" has offered great advise, help in difficult situations and is a great connection when I want to move to new roles with in the company.

Don't waste your time trying to figure out what you want to do now, go get your self a job in big business, even if you have to be the shit kicker. Work hard as always, respect your managers no matter what some can be real ass holes but remember they will not be your manager forever, and first and foremost remember to always think "Business" it all boils down to money.

That is the one piece that has helped me move well and beyond the rest always look at ways to improve the business to where you will see a financial gain for them. While you will not get any bonus out of this it will line you up to move up quick and fast.

That is the one mistake everyone makes always wanting more money for something they did. No business I have ever worked for has ever gave someone a rise because they had an idea. You only get a rise when you change job title that comes with a cost code change.

This is my advise and has served me well. I have only been in the IT business for 1.8 years and am already looking at a BA role, I am currently a team leader for a service desk, also have no education in IT, management or BA.

As always sometimes there are exceptions to the rules but not often.
                      That's great advice thanks =)

Comment

Well I'm at Colorado Mesa University. I came here thinking I will get my gen eds then do the automotive program at the bishop campus (It's just the community college down the road). There's a program I did called FYI, Freshman Year Initiation, and it's a week before school starts and I had the actual college experience during that week. I'm not talking the party scene, getting drunk, doing whatever you want, I'm talking you can be whatever you want here at college.

SO, after this first week I said fuck it, I don't want to learn about working on cars from 7-3:50 all day. I know more than I should by working on the E30, reading forums, helping friends, and working at Discount Tire for a 1.3 years. Three days before school started I told my academic adviser I want to go to undeclared because I didn't foresee a future in automotive tech. I now take Gen eds here and I am kind of starting to really like business. I have an intro to business class, and even though the economics part isn't really something I like, I have found a feeling of comfort and easiness with the subjects.

I still have no idea where that leaves me though, what the fuck do I want to do with my life? I'm not sure what interests me honestly. I want to direct my studies next semester towards more business and try some welding classes for shenanigans at the community college, but still, what do I want to do with my life? It honestly scares me because I'm trying to pay for classes wisely, I don't want to take a course and withdraw because I hate it or it's too difficult. I believe it all boils down to what I am good at and what I can build off of.

And lastly I've never been the best student academically and I definitely struggle with getting my work done all the time, but that's because in high school I was doing shit I hated. I want to find that niche that works for me here and if I like it I know I will work hard at it. My dreams as a little kid were to be a "race car driver" after I was done watching Le Mans with Steve McQueen, what the fuck happened to that?

/Rant
                        1991 325i Calypso Coupe

BMW

Comment

^
                          You don't need to know, studying business in general is the best thing you can do as far as my experience tells me.

Though once done I would not try to go straight into a management, advisory, economic job. It will be just to hard as most of these jobs require experience.

Just start working in a field weather IT, Finance, engineering etc start with the job anybody can get regardless of education. Get to know the business and workings from the ground up, but most importantly get your networking happening, there is no easy way to network it kinda depends on luck to a degree.

But one piece of advise I can offer is when you are looking for other jobs within the same company. As with all places if you apply for a job internally you will have a sit down interview at some stage, now the important part is to make sure that the person conducting the interview knows your goals and career ambitions and what role this position you are applying for will play in the long term.

Now if you get the job great but if you do not. Contact the interviewer ask if you can have some feedback, but then ask if they know someone who maybe able to help guide you in this direction. That will one give you a mentor and two pretty much put you as the next in-line when that job comes up again and third build your network.

One statement that has and always will hold the test of time, its not what you know it is who you know. You grow that network then anything is possible.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Massimo View Post
                            One statement that has and always will hold the test of time, its not what you know it is who you know. You grow that network then anything is possible.
                            qft

skills for any job can be taught to anyone willing to learn.
                            If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Massimo, thank you for the advice! That will definitely stay in my mind! Speaking from your third paragraph, I don't know what field to start off in! Maybe in the years to come I'll find that answer, I'm not sure. But I really need to choose wisely on classes.
                              1991 325i Calypso Coupe

BMW

Comment

Massimo, thank you for the advice! That will definitely stay in my mind! Speaking from your third paragraph, I don't know what field to start off in! Maybe in the years to come I'll find that answer, I'm not sure. But I really need to choose wisely on classes.
                                Not really I started as a civil drafter worked in that for 5 years then lost my job due to the down turn in the economy, so got a job in IT as a call centre agent who reset passwords, I am now a team leader with in 1.8 years of which 1 has been a full-time employee.

fact of the matter is business is the same no matter where you are, its all about making money, as long as you can understand the concepts the business has to make money and you are able to look at that in a critical way to improve the business you will go far.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X