Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
    Do it!... and then buy this

Would be nice, but I don’t have that kind of cash right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Originally posted by flyboyx
    how about if i yank the anal beads out of your ass like i'm trying to pull start a chain saw?
    Originally posted by Northern
    beer is my new liver cleanse.

Henna - '84 Hennarot 325e
    Lola - '89 Schwarz 325is - being saved
    Christine - '88 Schwarz 325is - Spec E30 Racecar
    '01 White F150 Lariat 4x4 Supercrew - Daily
    Dad's '05 Interlagosblau M3

Comment

Good to know you're saving the car, it really is worth it these days. 5+ years ago I'd have parted that out with hardly a second thought.

It makes me sad seeing how many nla body parts there are. I get to wondering what were the final years that BMW still offered every replacement panel; if it was around the early 2000s then I wish I'd had the foresight to start collecting the soon-to-be-nla bits so that someday I could weld together an essentially 100% brand new e30. That would definitely be my ultimate fantasy project. However, the only way I can think of to legally register it would be to buy a wrecked car in order to "rebody" it and have its VIN stamped into the new cowl (I believe there's a thread on here where a BMW dealer in the UK was able to do this on a M3 RHD conversion project). That'd result in a "rebuilt" title, but still what an amazing feeling it would be to weld a new chassis together and see the body take shape, not to mention assembling it with years of hoarded NOS parts and accessories. Why do I torture myself with these fanatic daydreams, I need help...
      My Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Wagen View Post
        Good to know you're saving the car, it really is worth it these days. 5+ years ago I'd have parted that out with hardly a second thought.

It makes me sad seeing how many nla body parts there are. I get to wondering what were the final years that BMW still offered every replacement panel; if it was around the early 2000s then I wish I'd had the foresight to start collecting the soon-to-be-nla bits so that someday I could weld together an essentially 100% brand new e30. That would definitely be my ultimate fantasy project. However, the only way I can think of to legally register it would be to buy a wrecked car in order to "rebody" it and have its VIN stamped into the new cowl (I believe there's a thread on here where a BMW dealer in the UK was able to do this on a M3 RHD conversion project). That'd result in a "rebuilt" title, but still what an amazing feeling it would be to weld a new chassis together and see the body take shape, not to mention assembling it with years of hoarded NOS parts and accessories. Why do I torture myself with these fanatic daydreams, I need help...
        If Jaguar can do it with their E Type 40+ years later (and Aston Martin too!), I'm sure that somewhere you can find all of the NLA parts. Wouldn't be cheap (I think that Jag goes for over $1.5M), but you'd have a brand new car!

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnyboy101 View Post
          If Jaguar can do it with their E Type 40+ years later (and Aston Martin too!), I'm sure that somewhere you can find all of the NLA parts. Wouldn't be cheap (I think that Jag goes for over $1.5M), but you'd have a brand new car!

Im sure they could but the guy in charge of BMW right now isn’t the brightest. Im pretty sure he has no clue what he’s doing. For christ sake he is supposedly making the new 3 series front wheel drive because he wants to compete with toyota and honda. He’s failed to realize Honda and toyota are 20 grand cheaper so of course they are gonna sell better.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
          1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
          Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
          Mtech 2 turbo restoration
          Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Are the front wheel drive mercs doing well?

Comment

Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
              Are the front wheel drive mercs doing well?

No clue. Never paid attention, I’m not a merc guy.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

I guess the B-Class, CLA-Class, and GLA-Class are all based on FWD platforms.
                Despite getting lukewarm (at best) reviews, rental car companies love offering them out in their "premium" lineup. I tried both a 4matic CLA and a C300 sedan last spring and felt it was perfectly adequate to compete with the 3 series (equally cheap interior feel etc).

As long as it can handle those mountain passes with ease, I'm a happy camper :)
                If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
                  No clue. Never paid attention, I’m not a merc guy.
                  I've had this conversation recently with people at work who are looking for nicer cars now that we're getting closer to our 30's. They always seem surprised when I tell them that I don't know anything about the new cars, the 2/3/4/5 series, or about the SUV that horrendous x1 crossover thing, or any Mercedes/Audi.

If you covered the badges I honestly don't think I could tell you the difference between a new 3 series and a Kia/Toyota/Chevy sedan from 50ft.

I then have to give a lengthy explanation of why I've purchased another "old" BMW instead of just one "nice" one
                  2007 Range Rover Sport S/C

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan... View Post
                    I've had this conversation recently with people at work who are looking for nicer cars now that we're getting closer to our 30's. They always seem surprised when I tell them that I don't know anything about the new cars, the 2/3/4/5 series, or about the SUV that horrendous x1 crossover thing, or any Mercedes/Audi.

If you covered the badges I honestly don't think I could tell you the difference between a new 3 series and a Kia/Toyota/Chevy sedan from 50ft.

I then have to give a lengthy explanation of why I've purchased another "old" BMW instead of just one "nice" one

Don’t forget the new X2 I did the inspection for the first one in the state of Nebraska they are ugly little cars. The reason I think BMW is going to do a FWD 3 series is because it wont really cost them anything designing the engine bay. The new B series engine is a modular engine so whether its a 3,4 or 6 cylinder engine all the parts but the obvious ones interchange so its less parts to keep on the shelf at dealerships and less parts for them to make. The FWD 3 series will just have the same drive line as a mini but with a 3 series badge just like x1/x2 its just a mini countrymen.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Don’t forget the new X2 I did the inspection for the first one in the state of Nebraska they are ugly little cars. The reason I think BMW is going to do a FWD 3 series is because it wont really cost them anything designing the engine bay. The new B series engine is a modular engine so whether its a 3,4 or 6 cylinder engine all the parts but the obvious ones interchange so its less parts to keep on the shelf at dealerships and less parts for them to make. The FWD 3 series will just have the same drive line as a mini but with a 3 series badge just like x1/x2 its just a mini countrymen.
                      Man.... I know BMW doesn't give a fuck what I think, but fucking hell is that sad.

They've shown that they don't care about enthusiasts opinions (from a business perspective you can't blame them), but leave the 3 series badge/name alone. Why not create another 1 series and make that FWD? I feel like making it a FWD Honda competitor is a slap in the face to BMW's racing heritage.

All of this being said, we're going to go test drive a new M240i for the girlfriend because it ticks all of the boxes she likes. I tried explaining to her why I like the car but hate the name and she just looked at me all confused, like I'm a senile old man losing his mind. I hate that they're just throwing M badges onto new cars like kids do on their $1400 E36 325i :(

Comment

Man.... I know BMW doesn't give a fuck what I think, but fucking hell is that sad.

They've shown that they don't care about enthusiasts opinions (from a business perspective you can't blame them), but leave the 3 series badge/name alone. Why not create another 1 series and make that FWD? I feel like making it a FWD Honda competitor is a slap in the face to BMW's racing heritage.

All of this being said, we're going to go test drive a new M240i for the girlfriend because it ticks all of the boxes she likes. I tried explaining to her why I like the car but hate the name and she just looked at me all confused, like I'm a senile old man losing his mind. I hate that they're just throwing M badges onto new cars like kids do on their $1400 E36 325i :(

I’ve had the same conversation about the m badging too. 90% of the cars i work on have some sort of m badge or accessory. Now when you drop 100k on an M car your just paying for the badge and Sx engine everything else can be had in regular cars. Like the m550i for example its just missing the m5 wheels and engine. Other then that the car is the exact same. And with the “M” tune on the N63 it makes good power too.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

I’ve had the same conversation about the m badging too. 90% of the cars i work on have some sort of m badge or accessory. Now when you drop 100k on an M car your just paying for the badge and Sx engine everything else can be had in regular cars. Like the m550i for example its just missing the m5 wheels and engine. Other then that the car is the exact same. And with the “M” tune on the N63 it makes good power too.
                          I didn't realize the cars had gotten that close. When everything in the lineup has a turbo I imagine it's easy to justify buying the cheaper model, save tens of thousands of dollars, then add a $700 tune and get basically the power numbers..

Comment

I didn't realize the cars had gotten that close. When everything in the lineup has a turbo I imagine it's easy to justify buying the cheaper model, save tens of thousands of dollars, then add a $700 tune and get basically the power numbers..
                            How is this any different than purchasing an e30 Alpina vs. an e30 325is and adding a few mods?

If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Yea the only difference between the n63r and the s63 is the turbo’s, beauty cover, tune and then I believe the heads have been works a little for the bigger turbo. Otherwise same engine. They are so close in fact that once you remove the turbo’s you wont be able to tell the difference. We have an insurance company that has sent us 2 different n63’s thinking they were s63 for an x5m that spun a bearing.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley Rockafella View Post
                                How is this any different than purchasing an e30 Alpina vs. an e30 325is and adding a few mods?

It's not really, while I like the look of Alpina and ACS parts, I would never pay a premium to have them deliver one with their visual upgrades at a 900% mark up.

I'm more lamenting the lack of big differences between the M division and their base model cars now. Not that they all need to be N/A anymore, but the relationship between a 335i and a V8 M3, or an I6 5 series and the V10 M10 was so immense you could justify the massive cost increase. Now you have two turbocharged I6 engines, one has a couple wider pieces of body work, M badges glued everywhere, and still have the massive cost increase. I'm sure the average M buyer doesn't give a crap, but from my perspective I know I'd buy the cheaper model and modify it, quite easily, to match or exceed the price of the M car.

Yea the only difference between the n63r and the s63 is the turbo’s, beauty cover, tune and then I believe the heads have been works a little for the bigger turbo. Otherwise same engine. They are so close in fact that once you remove the turbo’s you wont be able to tell the difference. We have an insurance company that has sent us 2 different n63’s thinking they were s63 for an x5m that spun a bearing.
                                Yeah, see that's what I don't like :/
                                As I said above, I'm sure the absolute vast majority of new BMW buyers don't care, but for many of us that enjoy the history of the brand it's just sad to see.

Comment

Working...
                                X