Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So jelly of you Jaywood.

Comment

Worked on my 2003 klx400 a bit over the weekend.
      Before:

All the plastics had extreme scarring and paint that was destroyed from PO:

And the worst of all:

And after repainted and repair panels, some maintenance, and a good scrub with some wd-40, a scrub brush, and a steel wool pad.
      Originally posted by Wh33lhop
      This is r3v. Check your vaginal sand at the door.

Comment

^ Didn't work.

I miss my Supermoto :(

Comment

I don't know it's not allowing me to upload the rest.

Comment

Looking good !
            Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
            The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Nice job repairing the plastics.

What paint did you use? I did the same thing on my old 450 but over time it started to crack and spiderweb. New plastics was only $100 for the whole set iirc

Comment

Thanks. I just used Rustoleum Auto. It was for plastic bumper touch up. I had problems like that with my wr400 which was posted previously in this thread. It chipped really bad and cracked. So I used 3 coats of primer, 3 coats of color, and 1 coat of wet sanded clear under another coat of clear. Prep for this was a BITCH and took forever. To patch the whole I bought some drywall mesh tape from Home Depot and some bondo.

Comment

For those of you who ride, what do you think your split between street and dirt riding is? I'm in the market for a KLR650 and I love the super moto look, but with more street friendly tires how tough is riding off road?

I'm interested in the bigger 650cc bikes because I don't live right on top of any trails and would need to ride 45m-1hr to get to some good trails.
                  -Matt

Comment

Originally posted by nitroracer View Post
                    For those of you who ride, what do you think your split between street and dirt riding is? I'm in the market for a KLR650 and I love the super moto look, but with more street friendly tires how tough is riding off road?

I'm interested in the bigger 650cc bikes because I don't live right on top of any trails and would need to ride 45m-1hr to get to some good trails.
                    I really like the Husky 610 for that kind of riding. Which some aggressive tires you can do dirt roads easy enough, and can be geared for road fun.

Comment

my 610 and my brothers gl1000

Comment

A DRZ400SM will soon be joining my stable. I can't take it anymore. After a couple weeks of seriously looking, I've found 2 that I'm checking out this weekend. There is a 2011 DRZ400S a few miles from my house with 950 miles for $3600 that I'm considering as well, but I don't want to spend $1200 on SM wheels/tires right off the bat. Thoughts?

Comment

It depends on what percentage you're looking at as far as street/dirt use. If you're looking for a good balance then get the drz400s and don't worry about the sm wheels. The stock wheel setup, from what I've heard from others, is a lot more comfortable on the street than the sm setup. From what I've heard, DO NOT take the sm on rougher terrain. Something to do with the suspension and the way it's setup. A lot of people ask about how the all terrain tires from the drz400s handle on offroad trails...they serve their purpose, just make sure you have experience with throttle control and correction. It's very easy to slide through a turn. Stay away from really soft dirt though...you'll cut right into it and not be able to go anywhere. On compact dirt trails though, my klx400 (drz400s) is a beast and very easy to control. But I've been riding motox since I was about 13.

Comment

My dad has the drz400s and he loves it. He only uses it for off-road because he also has a hypermotard (which is a blast by the way :p) which he uses for the street.

But yeah it mainly depends on what you're going to be riding. More dirt get the S. Mostly street get the SM. I prefer the SM looks over the S.

Are you set on getting a drz?

Comment

Originally posted by slaterd View Post
                              It depends on what percentage you're looking at as far as street/dirt use. If you're looking for a good balance then get the drz400s and don't worry about the sm wheels. The stock wheel setup, from what I've heard from others, is a lot more comfortable on the street than the sm setup. From what I've heard, DO NOT take the sm on rougher terrain. Something to do with the suspension and the way it's setup. A lot of people ask about how the all terrain tires from the drz400s handle on offroad trails...they serve their purpose, just make sure you have experience with throttle control and correction. It's very easy to slide through a turn. Stay away from really soft dirt though...you'll cut right into it and not be able to go anywhere. On compact dirt trails though, my klx400 (drz400s) is a beast and very easy to control. But I've been riding motox since I was about 13.
                              Originally posted by jaywood View Post
                              My dad has the drz400s and he loves it. He only uses it for off-road because he also has a hypermotard (which is a blast by the way :p) which he uses for the street.

But yeah it mainly depends on what you're going to be riding. More dirt get the S. Mostly street get the SM. I prefer the SM looks over the S.

Are you set on getting a drz?
                              Good info. I grew up riding dirt until I was 15 or so, then I just lost interest for a while. Not competitively, but mostly trails/exploring. My family had a lot of land when I was growing up.

I'd say 75% street, 10% sidewalk 10% grass/dirt & 5% stairs.

Not set on a DRZ400, but they seem to pop up all the time around here. I explored the SMR510 option and decided against it due to maintenance. A friend is coming to visit soon and he's bringing his WR250X for me to test ride. They don't seem to be much slower than a DRZ400.

Comment

Originally posted by JCarp90 View Post
                                Good info. I grew up riding dirt until I was 15 or so, then I just lost interest for a while. Not competitively, but mostly trails/exploring. My family had a lot of land when I was growing up.

I'd say 75% street, 10% sidewalk 10% grass/dirt & 5% stairs.

Not set on a DRZ400, but they seem to pop up all the time around here. I explored the SMR510 option and decided against it due to maintenance. A friend is coming to visit soon and he's bringing his WR250X for me to test ride. They don't seem to be much slower than a DRZ400.
                                I looked into the SMR510's before I bought my 625SMC, and was pretty much set on one. But as I looked more into the "un"reliability of them I got turned off. Also if you ever get one, make sure the chain is the right tension, otherwise you'll grenade the motor :p

Go with the SM if you go the DRZ route. 10% dirt isn't enough to warrant a full enduro IMO.

Comment

Working...
                                X