If this is your first visit, be sure to
check out the FAQ by clicking the
link above. You may have to register
before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages,
select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
I rescued Hurley 4.5 years ago when I was at UCSB. I volunteered at a dog shelter on the weekends, we walked the dogs and made sure they got some time out of their kennels. I heard of a dog fighting ring that was broken up an hour north of Santa Barbara where there were puppies just starting to be forced into fighting. Any dogs not adopted were to be put down. That day changed my life forever when the little guy came running up to me once I stepped out of the car. He has had such a positive effect on my family and friends. You just have to be a walking billboard as a pit bull owner, always ready to show the community that they're an inherently good and kind breed, where they become objectionable only in the hands of a malicious and ignorant person.
They are called a pit bull, because they were bred to help take down bulls, not fight other dogs, until idiot humans decided it was sporting. On that note, I would not casually step foot inside a bull pen, that would be irresponsible to do without the proper precautions.
not sure the best way to post a pic from cell to r3v...
Here is our shelter rescue, he's a mix, like most creatures in America. This pic is just a few moments ago, he's been waiting at the door for a half hour, puppy play date for the weekend waiting for his friend Patch, another mix. We think he is pit or rot mix with maybe lab? People assume he is a pit and then have prejudice. He does have a licking problem, too friendly actually.
He is great with our 15 month son. But like others said, it's not really about the dog as much as the pack it thinks it belongs in and it's place in said "pack". We take efforts to socialize him, going to dog park later today even. In the 2.5 years we have had him, only once has he shown aggression. when firemen came stomping into the house to check for a gas leak (I was not home at time, just wife and son) he got protective and placed himself between them and the firefighters. That instinct is the exact reason why I have him. Because if he needs to, he could take down an intruder.
I don't allow a situation to occur where he could be possessive over something and take it from our toddler. Part of that is training and consistency, for both the toddler and the dog. Most people are not fit to do many things, let alone own a real dog, have children, own a gun, or drive in the fast lane on the highway, or swim without a life guard. We as a society, need to bring back natural selection, on all levels - or be willing to conform to a structure that grants privileges to the competent and excludes the fucktards
R3V, gotta love it
And in advance to respond to the inevitable comment, if I were to subject myself to said natural selection, then good, everyone should not only have the right, but the social responsibility to experience the repercussions for their actions... I bet the Chinese are enjoying that smog they are living in right now...
Indeed that is the mindset of dogs however not for every breed. Not all breeds are pack dogs and don't do well with packs. For those that are pack dogs there is always a spoiler.
I've tried the "Pack" approach and this is usually how I end up training my dogs by default. However, I've learned that treating my dogs more like special children grants the best behavior and atitudes from my dogs.
They are called a pit bull, because they were bred to help take down bulls, not fight other dogs, until idiot humans decided it was sporting. On that note, I would not casually step foot inside a bull pen, that would be irresponsible to do without the proper precautions.
not sure the best way to post a pic from cell to r3v...
Here is our shelter rescue, he's a mix, like most creatures in America. This pic is just a few moments ago, he's been waiting at the door for a half hour, puppy play date for the weekend waiting for his friend Patch, another mix. We think he is pit or rot mix with maybe lab? People assume he is a pit and then have prejudice. He does have a licking problem, too friendly actually.
He is great with our 15 month son. But like others said, it's not really about the dog as much as the pack it thinks it belongs in and it's place in said "pack". We take efforts to socialize him, going to dog park later today even. In the 2.5 years we have had him, only once has he shown aggression. when firemen came stomping into the house to check for a gas leak (I was not home at time, just wife and son) he got protective and placed himself between them and the firefighters. That instinct is the exact reason why I have him. Because if he needs to, he could take down an intruder.
I don't allow a situation to occur where he could be possessive over something and take it from our toddler. Part of that is training and consistency, for both the toddler and the dog. Most people are not fit to do many things, let alone own a real dog, have children, own a gun, or drive in the fast lane on the highway, or swim without a life guard. We as a society, need to bring back natural selection, on all levels - or be willing to conform to a structure that grants privileges to the competent and excludes the fucktards
R3V, gotta love it
And in advance to respond to the inevitable comment, if I were to subject myself to said natural selection, then good, everyone should not only have the right, but the social responsibility to experience the repercussions for their actions... I bet the Chinese are enjoying that smog they are living in right now...
I have to LOL at the Husky stats. Mine would sooner lick to death a burglar than raise the alarm. They're definitely in the same boat when it comes to mistaken public perception as well - parents shield their young children when I walk her, which is absolutely crazy.
Here is ours when she was about 2 months. She is so friendly and playful she is about 7 months right now. Ill post another pic of her now in a few minutes let dig up a photo..
Vtec, there is a place called forever home rehabilitation, they do amazing work with aggressive dogs. We were working with a shelter near us and they had a very dog aggressive pit there. We setup a fundraiser and sent said dog to the rehabilitation place. He shows zero signs of aggression in any way shape or form now. I believe he is actually the poster child to show their work now.
Recently my Red Nose took a turn for the worse. He was only a little under 2yrs and was fixed and pampered. He spent his entire puppyhood under us, my woman and kids.
At 8mo he started showing signs of aggression towards strangers. This was always corrected by "no, bad boy. Sit" and whatever stranger he was growling at I would ask for them to come closer so they could pet him and he would be fine after that. This kept going on and I started doing the stare until submission. That helped even more.
At 12mo he broke out of my parents gate when we were visiting and attacked a yellow lab that was twice his size. Mind you he has never been in a fight ever. Never bit another animal nor human. I later went to my parents neighbors and made sure my dog didn't break into the skin and they assured their dog was fine. I was so shocked and heartbroken at the same time because he was a part of our family. I loved him to death and he has always shown the same. He did his rounds at our house and always slept on our feet at night. I knew this meant we could never take him anywhere and that was something we couldn't handle. He rode with us everywhere.
At 12 1/2mo we got him a female playmate with hopes this would calm him down. We ended up getting a Mantle Great Dane puppy and they grew together. This was the advise of his vet and we hoped this would be the key. He showed signs of calming down and we thought it was working perfect. We could start taking him on walks again and he always focused more on his new pal than passer bys. He even sat still while people walked up to ask about our Dane.
At 14mo he snapped at our neighbor and she hasn't spoke to us since. Everything we worked for went to waste. He broke down 12'x7' section of fencing and went on a rampage with the landscapers. That was the last string. We took him to boarding schools and they simply said he was too far gone and should be put down to avoid potential issues and lawsuits. I couldn't handle the thought of putting him down. I kept him for as long as I could until he snapped at my step son.
Sorry for the rant but I do believe that the instinct in these dogs are too strong. I have always owned Pits growing up and can agree they are some of the most loyal dogs. Once my kids are out of the house I may adopt another. Please be careful guys.
Leave a comment: