• Time
  • Show
Clear All

"the I-5"

How would you say this:

I drove down I-5 today.

or

I drove down the I-5 today.

Supposedly everyone from CA says "the" (I do too, and im from CA). And everyone up north leaves "the" out. I was having this discussion the other day, and browntown's OT thread reminded me of it. Saying "the I-5" sounds right to me, what do you think?
    I-5
    65.57%
    the I-5
    19.67%
    rob
    14.75%

I would say, "I-5" and leave "the" out. I'm from the middle of Indiana though lol My bro moved to Oakland, CA and I think he says "The" about freeways over there. I think...

Will
    RIP e30 (brilliantrot '91 325i) 11/17/06 Byebye: 8/21/07
    Welcome e30 (brilliantrot '90 325is) 12/23/06
    DaveCN = Old Man
    My signature picture was taken by ME! Not by anyone else!

Originally posted by george graves
    If people keep quoting me in their sig, I'm going to burn this motherfucker down.

Comment

Holy quick reply batman

Comment

As far as I know in Pittsburgh we leave out the "the"

Also Pittsburgh is home to the ONLY word in any language that can not be written out as we pronounce it... pumpkin

Comment

Definitely "the"

SILBER COMBAT UNIT DELTA (M-Technic Marshal)
          RTFM:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=56950

Comment

i never heard any1 from around here say "the" before reffering to a freeway...
            IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

Around here people just refer to it as "the 5." I know, so Calif.

Jon
              Rides...
              1991 325i - sold :(
              2004 2WD Frontier King Cab

RIP #17 Jules Bianchi

Comment

Originally posted by Jon325i
                Around here people just refer to it as "the 5." I know, so Calif.

Jon
                Heck yes, thats the best way IMO.

Comment

Everyone in Oregon and Washington seems to say I-5. Californians, especially southern seem to just say "the 5" not even the I-5. Just my experience.

Comment

In norcal I am used to saying and hearing 24 or 680...socal its the 5, the 52...
                    sigpic
                    "The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter." - Winston Churchill

Comment

yeah i either call it "the 5" or "i5" no the infront of i5 though... sounds somewhat redundant... why call it the i5... is it the i5 as opposed to the other i5? doesn't make any sense
                      PNW Crew
                      90 m3
                      06 m5

Comment

Here in NC we usually just say the number... i.e. "40 West" or "421". Never really use the "I" unless referring to somewhere where there is say, an interstate and business of the same name. In Winston, if you need to be specific, there's I-40 and Business 40.

"See, we're adding a little something to this month's sales contest. As you all know, first prize is a Cadillac Eldorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired."

Comment

I live in missouri for the time being for school. Locals here dont use "the". But when im in SoCal, we just say "jump on the 91, to the 215..etc.etc" Missourians love the word "yall" too.

Comment

Where's Rob, dammit?!????
                            - Sean Hayes

Comment

so wait, california people, in the usual struggle to be cool, say "I'm going down the interstate 5 to get the there" ?

that place needs to fall off already. Once jon escapes though.
                              BEERTECH

Comment

Working...
                              X