Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever got a second opinion from a dentist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone ever got a second opinion from a dentist?

I think my dentist is trina rip me off. seriously. When ya think about it...these ppl. make their living off of drilling and filling.. I think this Asian lady is out to rip me off!

All thru my teens and early twenties I never had a cavity and brushed once a day and flossed MAYBE twice a month (I know some gnarly shit goin on in there, esp, when I finally did floss, the smell was bad enough to make ya gag!) My diet was terrible, I ate everything, but never did I get a cavity.

Anyway, now that im in my early 30's, over the past 4-5 years I've been flossing once a day (evenings) and brushing twice as well as using a water pik (that thing gets EVERYTHING out). I also tried a no fluoride toothpaste, been keeping my teeth very clean, but I am suspicious now that I have cavities. I also do coconut oil pulling in the morning. Really keeps my teech very smooth, and has improved my gum health too

My diet has also improved, no pop, VERY little refined sugars, no caffien (sp?), and no smoking. Im a pretty healthy dude, not hard on the eyes either

I eat many green veggies, drink lotsa water...dunno what it could be.

I was going to ask blunt if he could help me out and check out my teeth, but the last time I went to him, I awoke in the dentist chair with my pants unzipped and a funny taste in my mouth that wasn't fluoride

second opinion? or just go back to fluoride?
    If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

well I have a similar story for you......

Da wifes last dentist was always trying to up sell and all that kinda bull shit (we have lots of dentists in our area, thanks to it being pretty here and there for there is lots of competition for this kinda deal). Well Oct-ish 2011 the wife gets told that she has a cavity and needs to come back in it. Well she is prolly the most OCD person about oral health of anyone, she flosses after ever meal or snack brushes what seems like constaly and shit like that. Well being suspicious with that kind of regimen and the sales pitch from previous visits she did not set up a follow up appointment.

Fast forward to 6 months latter she happens to be back in MI for a an extended time, and her old dentist had an opening during that time. So she went in and asked that dentist about it, and he said there was NO SIGN of a cavity or any other sign of damage anywhere in there. Needless to say she found a new dentist at home!!!!
    Originally posted by Fusion
    If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
    The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
    William Pitt-

Comment

I always say, "a bad dentist is worse than no dentist."

My wife went to a place in Boulder called "Today's Choice" when we lived in CO. We now call it "Tomorrow's Regret." She had two fillings FALL OUT. One was drilled so deep that the tooth calcified and she had to get an implant that cost us $2K. I'm still sore that I spent two grand on her mouth and she can't deep throat.

All joking aside, find a dentist you trust. If you're thinking you need a second opinion, it's time for a new one as far as I'm concerned.
      sigpic

2014 GTI | 2002 Land Cruiser | 1991 Volvo 745t

Comment

My dad is a retired dentist (endodontist). I prefer to only go to ones he personally knows/trusts. Even if that means flying back to wisconsin from colorado.

There are definitely VERY shady ones out there. You for sure want one that you can trust. Up-selling type of behavior would raise major red flags.

Nothing wrong with getting a 2nd opinions at all.

Comment

I had this one tell me I need like $2k worth of drill and fill needed (like the wheel term for the forum?) and used one of these little cameras that magnifies your tooth like 5,000 times and puts it on the flat big screen in front of you. Made the tiniest little crack along an old filling look like the san andreas fault. I got me teeth cleaning done and ran away from there fast. Now about 15 years later, that tooth is exactly the same. Both my dentists since have never said anything about that little spot of amalgam. But my current dentist has done one crown on a different tooth that needed it, and a perfect job as you or I can't tell that its not a real tooth, and one overlay on another old filling that broke off in those next 15 years, No where near the $2,000 I would have been signed up for if I had not gone for second opinion! Now hear me mostly younger R3V'ers....don't neglect your teeth. I know if you don't have insurance it's expensive, but in the long run so worth it to have a good smile, gums that don't bleed and teeth that don't fall out of your head. I'm no saint, and did have some gaps in regular care during my life, but I'm sticking with the program now. Nearly 50 years now and pretty happy to never have had a toothache or a root canal.
          Last edited by gr8skyr; 02-06-2014, 08:07 PM. Reason: grammar oops
          "just love those little tanky inline 6's"

Comment

be careful always get a second opinion from a dentist or even a family friend who has some dental experience.

they tried to tell my buddy he had like 5 cavities.

got a second look from a family friend who is a dentist he had no cavities.

its them simply trying to get money from your insurance.

Comment

yes....the up-sale technique is the brady program that most dentists subscribe to. my wife used to be a co-owner in a dental practice. they were very reputable. now that the dentist she worked with retired, we have a really difficult time finding a good dentist because she believes that most are disreputable or simply are shitty.

we tried using online reviews to find a good one, but that simply is worthless because people either don't know what good dentistry is or the reviews were planted there by the office.

so, in our experience, 9 out of 10 dentists are shitty or dishonest. according to my wife, there is no such thing as a good female dentist. probably one of the most unregulated medical fields ever.
              Last edited by flyboyx; 02-07-2014, 07:58 AM.
              sigpic
              Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
              92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
              88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
              88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
              87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
              12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Upselling in any kind of medical practice just seems so fundamentally wrong to me.
                For all things 24v, check out Markert Motorworks!
                Originally posted by mbonanni
                I hate modded emtree, I hate modded cawrz, I hate jdm, I hate swag, I hate stanceyolokids, I hate bags (on cars), I hate stuff that is slowz, I hate tires.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

look in the mirror you can see cavities unless they are in-between teeth. I had a GF who was a dental assistant and I'd just have her check me out. Also have all the dental tools which is a plus.
                  "I wanna see da boat movie"
                  "I got a tree on my house"

Comment

This thread is making me second guess the two cavities I had done a few years ago :/ I didn't think they felt like cavities.

Comment

I'm gonna guess it's the lack of fapping has caused your teeth to start rotting.

Seriously though, yeah it's always a good idea to get second opinions on anything expensive or critical in nature.

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                        so, in our experience, 9 out of 10 dentists are shitty or dishonest. according to my wife, there is no such thing as a good female dentist. probably one of the most unregulated medical fields ever.
                        this. my fave dentist was a guy in Calgary. Cool dude who also told me I had good teeth, and that there's no need for any work as long as I keep up with my routine.

Also the fact that my work benefits are paying the cost, makes her even more inclined to upsell on things I don't need.

Never knew that about the mirror thing tho. I looked at my teeth last night, and I can't see a spot or a marking anywhere she claims there is a cavity.

Funny, all the times I've been there, her staff she has as hygenists claim my teeth are fantastic and to "keep up the good work". obviously I'm not doing something right if I needed fillings. Something just didn't jive with me
                        If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

This is probably one of the most ignorant things ive ever read on this site

"according to my wife, there is no such thing as a good female dentist"

And yes, why invest in a 80k dollar panoramic xray machine when all you need is a 1.99 hand mirror

If you dont trust your dentist, find another. There are lots of reputable dentists out there.
                          unfortunately dentists are part of the human race and a given percentage are dishonest, Just like the general population
                          We can serve you better through Email

sales@blunttech.com
                          www.blunttech.com

Like us on Facebook

Comment

Get outta here with your reason and logic.
                            For all things 24v, check out Markert Motorworks!
                            Originally posted by mbonanni
                            I hate modded emtree, I hate modded cawrz, I hate jdm, I hate swag, I hate stanceyolokids, I hate bags (on cars), I hate stuff that is slowz, I hate tires.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

^ reason and logic,And a wife, whom I believe is a female dentist...

I never understood why people are still willing to openly discriminate against someone based on gender.

I have had a couple of dentists, male, and female..some are good, some are bad. no gender correlation.
                              Originally Posted by ACMF74
                              i clicked on this cuz i saw p3nis

Comment

Working...
                              X