Road Bike Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Road Bike Advice

Anyone here into road biking? Been shopping around for a new bike and could use your advice, R3v.

Im coming from an old steel bike, so they all feel fast.

Which one would you choose? They are all new.

2013 RIDLEY Orion 105 $1500
    Full carbon, and Shimano 105, rides like a dream, just not sure I trust a smaller brand that isnt very big in the US.

2014 TREK 2.1 $1300
    105 Shimano, so its smooth, but seems boring. The shop is great, its not carbon like the rest, but it seems like a safe bet. Great shop. Frame has a 5 year warranty unlike a lifetime like the rest.

2011 SPECIALIZED Tarmac Apex $1300
    I really liked it, felt fast but it worries me that it hasn't sold in 3 years. Also, its only SRAM apex equipped. The shop isn't very friendly.

They all fit well, just wanted to see if anyone here knows much about Ridley, or had an opinion.

Thanks R3v
    sigpic

What's your level of riding? Do you need a new bike that costs a decent penny? Considered a used bike or a left-over?

Nothing wrong with a steel frame or an 7005 AL frame. I have a 7005 AL that has rear carbon fiber stays, it rides awesome. I use it for long rides like a century here and there
    https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

What are you looking to do with the bike? I prefer metal frames to carbon ones simply because of the durability. If you knock a carbon frame over and it hits a square edge (or anything really) you run the risk of damaging the frame internally. You will never know its got an issue until it comes apart. I'm also not a fan of mixed materials such as carbon and aluminum. In the case of carbon and aluminum, they are differently charged and the aluminum will start to corrode below the clear coat (assuming the frame has a clear coat. Look at pictures of old Cannondale Six13s that are unpainted. They look like they have spiderwebs growing under the clear. All I can say is bad news.) This is true of any metal bonded to carbon. They need to have a layer of neutral material between the two, often its a layer of fiberglass.

In all honesty, I'd be looking for a titanium frame on ebay. You might be able to find a solid used bike for the cost of one of these lower end new ones. The beauty of a ti frame is its ride quality, durability, weight, fatigue resistance, and they don't corrode. I just picked up a Lightspeed frame for a little over $500 shipped. I ride a 17 year old Voodoo Ti mtn bike, its still going strong. A ti frame will last you a life time or two. If its not one of the super light frames, it is fairly dent resistant, and even if you do dent it, its not a death sentence to the frame. It will still be rideable for years if you can stand to see the dent.

Aluminum has its merits, but in the long run, it will eventually fail due to fatigue. When I was racing I was breaking aluminum frames every 6 months or so, not because of crashing but because the frames were failing at the bottom bracket.

Bottom line, yes everyone says carbon is the right material, but its really not. Sadly most of the frames are produced in one of (I think) 5 factories in Taiwan. The exceptions being Time and Look. They weave their own carbon in house and build their frames in house. Think of it like really cool looking fiberglass. It works on the same theory. Yes, you can make really cool looking frames with it, but its really not that durable (yes people will argue otherwise all day long. the bottom line is, a thin walled carbon frame has no impact resistance.) Heck I watched a chick who might have weighed 100 lbs break an Orbea while warming up for a race. It was pretty sad. I've also seen peoples feet go through top tubes or down tubes in crashes. That makes for an expensive crash if your frame is trashed after being taken out in a wreck.

Just some things to consider.

Will
      '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
      '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
      '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
      '88 BMW M3

Comment

I take the Rivendell for slow tours and the Bridgestone for faster group rides

Comment

regardless of the other points, the only bike that you seemed to adore was the Ridley. I don't know of the brand but if the other two didn't speak to you then you won't ride them making them worthless.

that said, I ride a specialized

btw, nothing wrong with a steel bike. My favorite is still my 1950's olmo with vintage campy
          Last edited by smooth; 05-31-2014, 12:54 AM.
          Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig, es ist nicht einmal falsch!

Comment

I have two old Bridgestones, an MB-zip an XO-2, love the mustache bars. That's my bike path bike with the kids.

Comment

Get the Ridley. http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/la...4_5668crx.aspx

The fragility of carbon is largely a myth.
              87 BMW 325iC

Comment

Check Ebay for bikes in your area as well.

I have a Specialized S-works E5 that I'm building right now. I got it used and was super clean for $150 for frame fork and bottom bracket.

Comment

You guys make me feel bad. I restored an 80's Raleigh Super Record when I got into road biking two years ago, and there's something about that bike (I did a pretty good job too, the thing looks new) I've gone to a few shops, and there's nothing like it. the carbon bikes seemed really clunky or too beefy or something , and I just didnt really like it too mich. Plus when I saw the paddle shifters i was like wtf is this, a mountain bike?....levers all the way!! I'm 17 but I think I've already got that old man additude of 'too much plastic' and 'old stuff is built better'. I know this was about getting a NEW bike, but man I'd totally reccomend a Super Record if you could find one.

--sent from my igloo via carrier penguin
                  (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

Originally posted by jwalther View Post
                    Get the Ridley. http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/la...4_5668crx.aspx

The fragility of carbon is largely a myth.
                    On a road bike I agree, carbon's impact strength is it's real weakness. I have been working a shop for part time work and have been building quite a few Ridley's. They're great bikes and for the price and spec, it's hard to beat. New 105 is pretty dialed.

My second choice would be the Specialized. I really like Sram. Even their lower level components feels 100X better than Shimano's low end stuff.
                    91 318is M50 swapped
                    05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

Another option is http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/road_bikes.htm
                      Instagram
                      sigpic
                      Current: 99 M3
                      Past: 84 325e, 84 528e

Comment

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post
                        I'm also not a fan of mixed materials such as carbon and aluminum. In the case of carbon and aluminum, they are differently charged and the aluminum will start to corrode below the clear coat (assuming the frame has a clear coat. Look at pictures of old Cannondale Six13s that are unpainted. They look like they have spiderwebs growing under the clear. All I can say is bad news.) This is true of any metal bonded to carbon. They need to have a layer of neutral material between the two, often its a layer of fiberglass.
                        ^This man speaks the truth. In less than 10 years, a sacrificial anodized aluminum strip bonded to a carbon panel and epoxy primed twice can go from brand new to completely disintegrated. Happens on practically every aircraft that attempts to use the two together. It should last significantly longer if you live in a dry climate and take care of it though.

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post
                        If you knock a carbon frame over and it hits a square edge (or anything really) you run the risk of damaging the frame internally. You will never know its got an issue until it comes apart.
                        This is true as well. Carbon is brittle and very susceptible to impact damage. After the impact, carbon will typically spring back to its original shape (unless it has an aluminum honeycomb core or similar) but suffer from disbonds between plies. You can find these disbonds via tap test and fill them with structural adhesive as necessary, but that will only partially restore its strength vs a full blown repair (which would be an eyesore)
                        Originally posted by priapism
                        My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                        Originally posted by shameson
                        Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Honestly I'd go with specialized tarmac with SRAM. I don't know why people are thinking carbon is so brittle. If your worried about cracking a carbon frame, specialized has a great warranty and excellent customer service.
                          I've had my tarmac for the last 3yrs/90k miles with carbon wheels/SRAM red and never had a single problem.

Comment

In 10 years you'd probably get a new bike anyway. I'd have a full carbon road bike for sure if i could afford one, for now I'll have to live with my "cheap" $1300 specialized that i got in 2012, lol.

I know guys that put thousands of miles on their full cf bikes every year and I've never heard of one breaking. These aren't airplanes..
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Carbon will typically only break from a bad fall. Normal use you will have 0 issues.
                              91 318is M50 swapped
                              05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
                              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

Working...
                              X