anyone else running a ssd?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyone else running a ssd?

I have a 1tb hdd and wanna try out the ssd route for my home pc. I don't game, and just want something that speeds up the pc and can keep the hdd for backup

anyone else running this setup? if so, what size ssd are you running? I'm thinking I need no more than 120gb. considering the 120gb or 250 Samsung 840evo

thanks in advance
    Last edited by Stanley Rockafella; 07-17-2014, 07:41 PM.
    If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

i have a 256 plextor. my pc boots from dead off to usable in 13 seconds

Comment

120GB Kingston V300
      I'm very satisfied. The speed is extremely noticable.

Comment

Yes. When it comes to SSDs, stick with Samsung or Crucial. (Or Intel, but that's expensive.)

Completely worth it. Under really heavy use, an SSD can literally well in excess of a thousand times faster.
        2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
        2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
        1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
        1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
        - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
        1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
        1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
        Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Running a 2tb SSHD here and I love it. I've thought about picking up a 250ssd dedicated to windows and games, but honestly the hybrid does a fine job at figuring out what I use most and load times are kept to a minimum.

Can't remember the make but I only spent around $120 on it.
          No E30 Club
          Originally posted by MrBurgundy
          Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

I am running a 120gb SSD with a 1 terabyte HHD for everything else. The SSD is dedicated solely to running the computer and browser.

Using the stopwatch on my phone, I went from completely off to r3vlimited home page in 31.456 seconds **including my password for comp login** It was something like 19 seconds including the password to be logged in, the internet here is slowish.
            Last edited by F34R; 07-18-2014, 09:37 AM.
            ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
            ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
            ~ '87 535
            ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
            ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Running a 1TB WD HDD and a 250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD.

PC boots in literally 2-4 seconds with windows 8.

Dont cheap out on SSD's.

Order of quality:

Intel
              Samsung
              Corsair
              Cruicial

Everything else is shit.
              1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
              willschnitz

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
                Running a 2tb SSHD here and I love it. I've thought about picking up a 250ssd dedicated to windows and games, but honestly the hybrid does a fine job at figuring out what I use most and load times are kept to a minimum.

Can't remember the make but I only spent around $120 on it.
                If it's a Seagate (last I checked, they were the only ones making them, but it's been a while), the problem is that it's a Seagate.

Which is annoying, because I really, really want a 6TB drive, but having a Seagate is scary. (If you want to see reliability reports, no one is better than Backblaze's testing.)
                1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

sigpic

Comment

Running a corsair gt 120gb ssd, it does wonders! I love how fast my computer is with absolutely no lag in between opening applications and running intense processes. Paired with a good quad core CPU and enough RAM, you will have a beast computer!

FREE BITCOINS!! http://qoinpro.com/71690d1639966bfbf223bf16538cec21
                  Originally posted by scabzzzz
                  I stand up, pull my dick out, and asked my gf to give me some noggin... Well, she starts laughing at me and I freaked out and ran off and locked myself in a bedroom.
                  1989 325i - Project/weekend driver
                  2002 325i - DD
                  2005 Suzuki SV650 - Toy

Comment

Yea I just checked, and it is a Seagate.

I'll give you that it is scary, I've had more than one die on me. However, I also don't get attached to data anymore so if it dies it dies. Going on about 6 months now without a hiccup.
                    No E30 Club
                    Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                    Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

120Gb Crucial M4 boot drive/program drive, plus a 1tb drive for files, movies, picture backups, etc.
                      TOTALLY worth it. programs start and respond faster, photo editing is quicker, pc boots up faster. awesome.
                      1988 Atlantisblau Euro/Japanese 325i Cabriolet
                      1989 Schwartz 325i - now M50 powered! - now very dead
                      1998 Toyota 4Runner Limited
                      My 17,000km Big NA National Parks trip!

Comment

My laptop came with a SSD. Greatest thing ever, it's way faster, quieter and cooler than the HDDs I've had before. And then it crashed, and took all my data with it. No warning. No chance of getting it back. I'm a lot more careful about backing up my data now, but it's still annoying to think this thing could just not turn on tomorrow and that would be that... again. At least with a HDD, there might be some warning that it's going out, and you can recover your data if it does go out.

Sounds like an SSD would be perfect for you though. Mine is 128GB, and it's plenty since I don't keep much on it anymore.
                        Last edited by rturbo 930; 07-18-2014, 11:13 AM.

Comment

I have SSD's as my primary OS installation drives on both my laptop and desktop PC. My PC has three more large capacity disk drives for storage.

Making the jump from disk to SSD yield huge improvement in speed. Go for it.
                          Owner - Bavarian Restoration
                          BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
                          www.BavRest.com
                          My Feedback Thread
                          Our Facebook!
                          Follow our Instagram!

Comment

One the subject of spinning drives, this is why I have a hard time suggesting that anyone use anything other than a Hitachi:
                            My last two blog posts were about expected drive lifetimes and drive reliability. These posts were an outgrowth of the careful work that we've done at Backblaze to find the most cost-effective disk drives. Running a truly unlimited online backup service for only $5 per month means our cloud storage needs to be very efficient and we need to quickly figure out which drives work.

Some Seagate drives have annual failure rates of 120%! It's bizarre!
                            1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                            1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                            - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                            1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
                              My laptop came with a SSD. Greatest thing ever, it's way faster, quieter and cooler than the HDDs I've had before. And then it crashed, and took all my data with it. No warning. No chance of getting it back. I'm a lot more careful about backing up my data now, but it's still annoying to think this thing could just not turn on tomorrow and that would be that... again. At least with a HDD, there might be some warning that it's going out, and you can recover your data if it does go out.

Sounds like an SSD would be perfect for you though. Mine is 126GB, and it's plenty since I don't keep much on it anymore.
                              Sounds like you have a cheap SSD. Its why I no longer buy pre builts, they use cheap components and retail pricing.
                              1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
                              willschnitz

Comment

Working...
                              X