How can the manual transmission be dying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can the manual transmission be dying

If every car in Europe is manual trans? First time in Europe, spain and germany specifically, and out of maybe 20-30 cars, one of them is automatic.

why can't it be like this in the states?
    Originally posted by TSI
    ♫ Rust flecks are falling on my head...♫
    OEM+

We are fat and lazy and ignorant, probably stemming from the laziness.
    1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Fat American thighs rub together during shifts and cause chafing.
      2011 1M Alpine white/black
      1996 Civic white/black
      1988 M3 lachs/black

Comment

Originally posted by einhander View Post
        Fat American thighs rub together during shifts and cause chafing.
        :rofl:

I think it's definitely an American issue, not so much global. Unfortunate for us.

Comment

Yep, I had an really neat professor who was an ergonomics engineer for FIAT. It really is driven by mass market expectations. Americans are just more conditioned towards the automatic trans.
          ADAMS Autosport

Comment

This has been going on for a while now. I've always owned manuals...nothing else. With today's technology manuals feel like sex on wheels. Too bad they're diminishing here in the states.
            Originally posted by Wh33lhop
            This is r3v. Check your vaginal sand at the door.

Comment

It could just be down to the simple fact the most people use cars from Point A to point B where an a man pedal isnt in demand. Cars being looked at by the majority of America's population as a resource to get places rather than a derivation of entertainment on the way.

Comment

Drove a 2014 Opel here, shifting through gears felt like cutting through butter, clutch pedal was effortless. It's bad for any type of performance feel, but I would much rather have that than an auto trans.
                Originally posted by TSI
                ♫ Rust flecks are falling on my head...♫
                OEM+

Comment

It's funny how here people are all like, I live in the city, I want an automatic.

99% of car I saw in Paris, Milan, Canne, Nice, Beijing, etc......were manual transmissions.

'Xcuses don't fly no mo', lazy peeps.

Comment

I was told that the young generation today doesnt even know what crank windows are. All theyve seen are power windows for the 13 years theyve been alive

Comment

Originally posted by ANDRÜ View Post
                      I was told that the young generation today doesnt even know what crank windows are. All theyve seen are power windows for the 13 years theyve been alive
                      We really do need a global apocalypse. This confirms it. Time to hit the big reset button in the sky.

Comment

Originally posted by SkiFree View Post
                        Yep, I had an really neat professor who was an ergonomics engineer for FIAT. It really is driven by mass market expectations. Americans are just more conditioned towards the automatic trans.
                        Not just American, but North Americans in general.

Nothing new, been going on for decades.

Originally posted by ANDRÜ View Post
                        a co-worker of mine was amazed they still made cars with crank windows. Personally, I love em

You should have seen the look on my 14 year old nieces face when I asked her to send me a text from the rotary phone at my parent's house...priceless!
                        If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

It's not dying. There are just a lot more people on the road than there used to be and they don't view a car as anything other than transportation - unlike people like us who view a car as an extension of their personality.

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28 View Post
                            We really do need a global apocalypse. This confirms it. Time to hit the big reset button in the sky.
                            Some yokel made a thread about building a shelter in his basement and living off of his goldfish. I think it is in the P&R forum now.
                            2011 1M Alpine white/black
                            1996 Civic white/black
                            1988 M3 lachs/black

Comment

Because the DCT/DSG/PDK gearboxes are amazing.
                              Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
                              Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
                              One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Working...
                              X