No announcement yet.

How can the manual transmission be dying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As sad as it is, stick is a dying transmission. In my school, (I'm a senior of a graduating class of 556 students). And there are 2 other kids besides me that drive stick. So sad :sad:

Comment

I don't so much not like autos they have their place. But My I have had to many issues which worn plates in auto box's to really trust them.

but then again all the cars I have owned have been 20+ years old.

But I really like the SMG's and would opt for that over a manual with out much hesitation.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by E30NJ View Post
        As sad as it is, stick is a dying transmission. In my school, (I'm a senior of a graduating class of 556 students). And there are 2 other kids besides me that drive stick. So sad :sad:
        Yep.

It's also easier for manufacturers to game standardized emissions cycle tests with automatic transmissions (even dual clutch units or automatic settings on an SMG).

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
          Yep.

It's also easier for manufacturers to game standardized emissions cycle tests with automatic transmissions (even dual clutch units or automatic settings on an SMG).
          I think many of us overlooked this one. It's surely a large part of the decline of the manual transmission.

Another good question is why do companies bother to offer shiftable otherwise automatic transmissions, DSG & etc as they are inherently more efficient in auto mode, and probably less prone to fail.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
            I think many of us overlooked this one. It's surely a large part of the decline of the manual transmission.

Another good question is why do companies bother to offer shiftable otherwise automatic transmissions, DSG & etc as they are inherently more efficient in auto mode, and probably less prone to fail.
            Marketing

People associate a DSG with SMG/F1 gearbox. Hence performance etc etc
            sigpic

Comment

Same reason why ppl are using iPhone 5's instead of Nokia 3310's, shit is sadly obsolete.

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKCHARM88 View Post
                Same reason why ppl are using iPhone 5's instead of Nokia 3310's, shit is sadly obsolete.
                Isn't the 5 now obsolete? Yet manuals will never go out of style.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
                  Isn't the 5 now obsolete? Yet manuals will never go out of style.
                  Oh, they will for the mainstream audience. Just a matter of time.

Comment

after several months of not driving the e30, I took it out for a spin thru a day of Friday traffic.

My left foot felt really funny after that day, like I could feel the indentation of the clutch pedal in the sole of my foot (I have soft, tender feet)

Sure was fun doing controlled slides in the rain :D

true story
                    If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Working...
                    X