#BellLetsTalk #EndTheStigma #MentalHealth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

#BellLetsTalk #EndTheStigma #MentalHealth

There's a fabulous campaign that's held by one of Canada's major telephone and communications providers. (Phone, net, mobile, Wireless TV, etc)

On January 28th of every year, they donate 5cents for every text message sent on a Bell mobility device and more.

since 2010 they've donated over $67million dollars towards mental health support and research within Canada.

The goal of this campaign is not only to raise money but also raise awareness and get people talking mental health and stop making the subject so taboo and mysterious. People are sick. Just like a cancer patient, just like someone with a broken bone.

I am in absolutely no way affiliated with Bell, however do support this campaign and effort, I myself was diagnosed with severe depression in 2013. I'm better now, living normally with a with, great job, and 1.5 kids. Nobody would ever know unless I told them. It's just part of who I am, and that's that!

Either way, talk about it! it's good for you:):D

To improve mental health in Canada, our program has been supporting more than 1 500 organizations that are committed to helping communities.

Ryan
    Originally posted by flyboyx
    i have watched my dog lick himself off a few times

Cool idea, good for Canada for trying to break through the stigma.

Comment

Agreed. So much tragedy could be avoided (or at least reduced) with proper diagnosis and treatment. I've got family & friends who suffer. Most of them are getting help & relief. Those that refuse, aren't.

Comment

we could just reopen/start the asylums again, rather than dump all those that are a few fries short of a fun meal on the rest of society at large with little to no supervision.

Neat idea and way to raise funds though.
        Originally posted by Fusion
        If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
        The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
        William Pitt-

Comment

Because that's what we do with physically sick people, you know, dump them in to an asylum for the rest of their lives :loco:

Comment

I love when that happens ..................
            If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
            The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
            William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
              we could just reopen/start the asylums again, rather than dump all those that are a few fries short of a fun meal on the rest of society at large with little to no supervision.

Neat idea and way to raise funds though.

wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

you're even more ignorant than you let on.

Comment

Are you surprised? lol

Comment

Atm, what are some realistic solutions? I live in San Diego which has one of the highest homeless populations in the country and whom many have mental illnesses. I'd rather have them in an "asylum" than on the streets no? Or was it his phrasing?

Comment

Originally posted by Dozyproductions View Post
                    Atm, what are some realistic solutions? I live in San Diego which has one of the highest homeless populations in the country and whom many have mental illnesses. I'd rather have them in an "asylum" than on the streets no? Or was it his phrasing?

neither-

I suppose there are varying degrees of mental illness.

I've suffered from one- depression.
                    in no time had I needed to be institutionalized due to it, however some do if they are under suicide watch or similar (for depression)

for those who do suffer from a mental health issue who are letsay, schizophrenic and are not capable of reliably taking their medication in order to remain stable than yes. Same would go for diagnosed psychopaths of a violent nature. Pedophiles and the like.

Mental health issues can fall under the same umbrella as someone who suffer from anxiety issues.

it's a very rich tapestry, and a very broad spectrum in which there needs to me more attention and funds paid forward to those who NEED and SEEK the help.

again, IMO.

Comment

^ Exactly. We need to diagnose & treat appropriately.

Comment

Yep. We don't lump all physical illnesses in to the same category and treatment regimens, so why should we do the same for mental illness? We look at "mental illness" as a monolithic, uniform, yet somehow incurable problem. That's what leads simpletons like sleeve to throw out blanket suggestions like asylums. That's like suggesting hospice care for everyone with a physical illness, whether it's a common cold or terminal brain cancer. It's shameful.

Comment

I think sleeves "love it when that happens" is his way of saying successful trolling was a success.

Comment

Wow burnsy you have been depressed before....... WHO THE FUCK HAS NOT been at some point in their life. Felling down in the dumps and sad for a while is a NORMAL part of everyone's life somewhere along the line. Suck it up nancy and deal with your shit move and on with . Sorry I dont think of depression as an "illness" (unless your trying to harm your self, or others). In need of lots of funding to "diagnose and treat" if you need to talk to a therapist to give you an atta-boy its not your fault, then so be it some people need a little professional help along the line, most reasonable people know when this may be necessary Though you maybe right there is a bit of a stigma attached to talking to a shrink twice a week for 200 bucks an hour .

I like how you mention anxiety and depression my wifes family is the poster family for anxious and depressed, social phobic people on the planet. Yet they seem to deal with it and hold good jobs, normal hobbies, and deal with their issues in their own ways, and have been upstanding productive members of society for 60+ years all with out the "help" modern medicine or copious amounts of booze or "other" substances. Yet you would advocate that these good quiet keep to them selves type of people need help and should be fixed even though they dont want or really need your help to get by in life.......

When you say mental illness treatment I dont think depression, A.D.D. and similar minor afflictions out there need to be dealt with in a fashion similar to my above statement. Those seem to be getting plenty of attention as is (at least here is the states ) when every 3rd kid is on Ritalin ect.. to make them sit still. General Practitioners hand out scrips for anti-depressants like a pezz dispenser to anyone that says I feel sad and depressed that comes into their office.....

When you say mental illness that needs more funding for diagnoses and treatment I am thinking Schizo, and other similar conditions that pose a danger to society in general or them selves... Which we dont have the facilities to house and handle them anymore since many were shuttered in the 50's-70's so those people have been left out in the cold for society and the prison system to deal with when they get in trouble...

Seems to me in the last few decades and especially the last 5-10 years there has been a HUGE push broaden the "definition" mental illness and get people onto treatment for it. I mean you see the adds on TV all the time, "feel sad here have your doc prescribe this little pill and all your troubles will go away"..... Is that what you all really want is for everyone to be on some kind of mood altering substance 24/7 for much of their lives for one thing or another..........
                            Last edited by mrsleeve; 01-29-2015, 01:49 PM.

William Pitt-

Comment

^I agree. Just how autism diagnosing is skyrocketing. Everyone thinks their kid has autism when in reality they probably never learned how to interact properly because you gave them their first tablet at 12 months. Not that I think autism isn't real, it's just like how AHD was in the 90s, and bi-polar disorder in the early 2000s. It's trendy. But on OP's point I think this campaign is fantastic.

Comment

Working...
                              X