The current cost of RWD cars... WTF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The current cost of RWD cars... WTF

Has anyone noticed how fucking expensive "budget" RWD fun cars have gotten lately? And I'm not talking about the usual suspects, like e30s, 240s and miatas (you know, the ones with the current enthusiast tax)

I've been SCROUNGING craigslist for the past five months to find something in good shape at a reasonable price (plus historic tag-able). E36s, E46s, mustangs, 240s, cressidas, volvos, a few other rando cars I've forgotten about... either they're in OK shape and people want $3-5k or they're in fucking trash shape and the minimum anyone's willing to go is $2k. It's like the new $1k stock car in OK shape.

Maybe I'm just looking at the wrong cars. I'm not looking for a daily, I want something I can put-put around town with every now and then AND be a decent drift car when I go to the track.

Does anyone else have a better suggestion? Because if I can't get something for a reasonable price I minus well throw an extra two grand on top of what everyone's asking for their 240s and get a 350z instead

If I had known it was gonna be this fucking hard to find a reasonably priced fun budget car I would've kept banging my head on the e30 instead of chopping it up.

/endrant

I don't see the issue, E36s are still trading hands under $1500 for decent cars in MD. Same for RWD Volvos.

Maybe you've just looked at a bunch of crapcans, just keep looking. Or maybe this is your punishment for chopping your E30.

You can always get a Panther.

Comment

Shoulda kept the e30.

Comment

That's what you get for ruining an E30.

Comment

The e30 gods are punishing you for killing one of their chariots. Sorry, you will suffer until they deem you sufficiently punished.
          Originally posted by csermonet47
          Vlad, you are handling this quite unprofessionally.

Also, you are a cock with tacky taste.

That is all.

Comment

E36s go for pennies all day
            ~Stay Thirsty~

Comment

Originally posted by Benjamin_Button View Post
              E36s go for pennies all day
              for sure. however e36 m3 have bottomed out and are starting to slowly rise in value...the clean ones that is.
              IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

Well if anyone knows of any e36's for sale (5spd only) for reasonable prices (in the MD area) I would greatly appreciate directions to the ad. Everything I've been looking for is on craigslist and the selections are crap.

@rogue it's funny that you mention that, because I've been toying with the idea of doing a luxobarge. That and panthers can be found all day long for very reasonable prices. My only issue with the panther is its unstripped weight and its theoretical stripped weight (my guess is the lowest it'll go is 3100-3200ish). But then, it's like, what's the point of a luxobarge. And a manual swap will be a PITA. And, since 2003+ is the panther to get, emissions will be an issue

But I don't know, hopefully something'll come along soon, race season is coming up soon and I'm gonna be pissed if I don't have a car

Comment

I bought my ix for 900 the i for 600. A 94 325is for 1200 with 2 extra sets of rims. An e46 for 1500. And a 98 325i for 900 all in the past 3 years.

Comment

Although in NE we don't have inspection to pass so the standards can be lower.

Comment

Jaguars.

SRSLY though, turbo 400 trans makes SBC swap a cinch.....and can usually find them cheap since they are plagued with electrical problems.

Getchaself a XJS. All the rear subframe parts are readily available and cheap....Ford guys like that stuff.
                      Last edited by slammin.e28; 02-18-2015, 09:15 AM.
                      1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Disclaimer it is slammin suggesting that! ^

Comment

I don't think I'm cool enough to rock an old jaaaaaaggggg though

aside from that, drifting autos isn't easy. the only guy i've seen do it well was the bubba drift elcamino dude from back in the day

Comment

Drive a couple hours south to Richmond.

http://richmond.craigslist.org/cto/4892205377.html

http://richmond.craigslist.org/cto/4890231143.html

http://richmond.craigslist.org/cto/4893051518.html

http://richmond.craigslist.org/cto/4883455422.html

Some of seem to be pretty reasonable for what you're looking for.
                            2004 BMW e60 525i - Daily
                            1996 BMW e36 M3 - Toy
                            1994 Jeep Wrangler - Summer Toy
                            1993 Range Rover Classic - Handsome Looker that never gets driven

Comment

Originally posted by jalopi View Post
                              I don't think I'm cool enough to rock an old jaaaaaaggggg though

aside from that, drifting autos isn't easy. the only guy i've seen do it well was the bubba drift elcamino dude from back in the day
                              With enough power....you can be that dude!

1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Working...
                              X