Does a TRUE e30 enthusiast need to wrench on their cars?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • reelizmpro
    replied
    Who is old enough to remember Charles Bronson?

    Action Bronson is a rapper. He's one of the few new artists that I like.

    people will have different definitions of enthusiast. I have met people who have owned e30's since new but wouldn't call them enthusiasts....they just really like the car. Mention chassis codes and they have no idea what you're talking about.
    Last edited by reelizmpro; 03-18-2015, 04:10 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Stanley Rockafella
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Burns

    Tyler The Creator
    Frank Ocean
    Action Bronson

    think any of those guys actually truly turn wrenches on their Bmw's?

    I doubt it.
    I honestly thought the first two guys (both black I presume?) were the same person. Not that I have ever sought out either of their "music".

    For the last one...Action Jackson, or Pierce Brosnan? never hear of the fellow posted above


    As for the question...I dont' really care for labels

    Leave a comment:


  • Gerta
    replied
    I echo the sentiments about being an enthusiast and having the love for the cars. Everyone's skill level is different ... I'd love to learn how to weld, but I am not keen on learning on my car. I've done most things to my car and had help or paid for some others to be done based on time, funds, etc ... an enthusiast loves learning about the cars and never stops doing so.

    Leave a comment:


  • E30HV
    replied
    I think a real enthusiast needs to have passion, love and respect for the car they are driving. It has nothing to do weather they know how to use a wrench.

    Leave a comment:


  • Rib Daddy
    replied
    I purchased my first car, a 1976 2002, when I got out of college. Didn't know how to wrench then. Had that car 2 years, until an unfortunate engine fire ended it's life. Got a 1980 320is and drove it for 3 years. Traded it in on a 1986 325es that I drove for the next 24 years, until last October when I got a 1988 325iC. Probably put 250K on the 325es, (bought it with 106K in 1990).

    I have never wanted to "graduate" to a newer BMW (or go back to a 2002 for that matter). I LOVE e30's !!! It does have to be a 5-speed, though.

    Still can't wrench... Done a few things here and there over the years. I remember switching out the A/C switch in the cabin and "fixing" the A/C for the cost of the part after being quoted $750 to fix it. Made me pretty happy.

    I don't have the time to wrench as the e30 is my daily. If I got into a project and f#%*&ed it up, I couldn't get to work. I have a house I'm restoring. The house gets the free time.

    I come to R3V almost every day and lurk around. I like to see what others do to their cars and make plans for mine. I love seeing what some of you guys have done!!

    I am enthusiastic about my e30, but to some that doesn't qualify me as an "enthusiast"
    since I don't dirty my hands much.

    I envy those of you who have the mechanical inclination. I don't have a clue as to how fuel injection works or how to bleed the brakes. It just doesn't make much sense to my brain. I take my car in because I want it to run right and stop when needed.

    Have had an e30 in the driveway for 25 years but can't wrench... Enthusiast ???

    Leave a comment:


  • ForcedFirebird
    replied
    Hmm, my shop is full of enthusiasts cars. Some of them can do the work themselves, some can't. Some are race car drivers, not mechanics.

    At the end of the day my neighbor at the shop put is in a good way, he is a cabinet maker.

    "Sure I can fix my truck myself, I built it. BUT, you will get it done faster and I will make more money than I save by working in my own shop on cabinets."

    Leave a comment:


  • UlrichFennec
    replied
    Originally posted by reelizmpro
    Yeah, but those are very specialized jobs best left to professionals that are setup to do only that.
    Personally, I won't dare mess with the wiring in my car. I let an auto electrician handle it, because I'd rather not end up "fixing" an electrical niggle only to have another one pop up.

    Now, oil changes, detailing, replacing filters, hoses and bodywork, I can do. I'm learning how to weld metal so if I ever have rust, I can cut out the rusty spot and weld new metal to make it good as new. :3

    Leave a comment:


  • reelizmpro
    replied
    Yeah, but those are very specialized jobs best left to professionals that are setup to do only that.

    Leave a comment:


  • bikerjim2000
    replied
    BMW
    " Making mechanics out of automobile drivers since 1929!"

    I'm a total motorhead, can fix anything,weld,paint,plumb etc but I know when to say when!
    Usually transmission work or serious paint and body I say when!:devil:

    Leave a comment:


  • E30HV
    replied
    Originally posted by UlrichFennec
    I feel like the term "enthusiast" is thrown about with very different meanings from person to person.

    If you have a passion for cars, I consider you an enthusiast. If you love to drive all sorts of cars, read into their history, work on them in your free time and research about what you can do to it, I consider you to be an enthusiast.

    Some people don't necessarily have the tools to do everything with their car and repair everything, regardless of how easy it is. Sometimes, the only option is to take it to a specialist and save up some money on the side to buy your own tools so you can do your own maintenance.

    if have a strong interest and love for my car than i guess im a enthusiast. i envy everyone here that can work a wrench (and good for you) but that does not take away the love i have for my car. i try to maintain it and keep it clean and i hope i make all of you proud as an e30 owner.

    Leave a comment:


  • UlrichFennec
    replied
    I feel like the term "enthusiast" is thrown about with very different meanings from person to person.

    If you have a passion for cars, I consider you an enthusiast. If you love to drive all sorts of cars, read into their history, work on them in your free time and research about what you can do to it, I consider you to be an enthusiast.

    Some people don't necessarily have the tools to do everything with their car and repair everything, regardless of how easy it is. Sometimes, the only option is to take it to a specialist and save up some money on the side to buy your own tools so you can do your own maintenance.

    Leave a comment:


  • ELVA164
    replied
    Originally posted by LateFan
    ^^^ hope I didn't insult your shop…….
    Haha, just pulling your chain.

    Leave a comment:


  • LateFan
    replied
    When we bought this project E30, my son could use a screwdriver well.

    Now a year later he's discussing whether the signal the ECU is getting might be screwed up and it's being fooled by that sensor not reading consistently - should we test the old sensor again or just spend the money on a new one.

    "Give me that wrench, Dad, your fingers are too fat!"

    He loves that car and has learned so much.

    Leave a comment:


  • E30HV
    replied
    My personal opinion and I guess is a question to all. If you had no mechanical knowledge will you still be interested on an e30? And will you consider yourself a TRUE e30 enthusiast
    I have no mechanical experience but I try. Even if I didn’t I’m still in love with my car. My first e30 and have owned it for a little over a year now. I’m not a mechanic, that’s not my field but I have tried to learn as much as I can about the car.

    Leave a comment:


  • LateFan
    replied
    ^^^ hope I didn't insult your shop…….

    Leave a comment:

Working...