Does a TRUE e30 enthusiast need to wrench on their cars?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • slammin.e28
    replied
    Originally posted by F34R
    4 years on here and you're still using default posts per page?
    There's a way to change that?

    Leave a comment:


  • Mr. Burns
    replied
    Originally posted by F34R
    4 years on here and you're still using default posts per page?
    6 if you count the 1 other username that was banned...

    Leave a comment:


  • Mr. Burns
    replied
    Originally posted by reelizmpro
    Depends on what one considers an "enthusiast." I think enthusiast is a broad term because there are people who collect, drive and enjoy wrenching on them. To me, the "true enthusiast" is one who does it ALL because there are many (especially these days) casual owners who buy the car because it's trendy/retro. First of all, the "true enthusiast" would have bought an E30 a long time ago (if they could), well before they were hipster/drift/stance cars back when they were still classy. It's easy for someone with money to just buy a project, drop it off at different shops and have a nice show quality car. A true enthusiast would want to know how it works and how to fix it because he is in it for the long haul. If the same job comes up again later, he knows how to fix it and he's proud to fix it himself. If the car breaks down on the side of the road, he knows how to troubleshoot and maybe get it running again. The guys who just write checks will not learn a damn thing except that it's expensive not learning how to work on an old car. When he speaks, he is just repeating what he's heard from other people without any first hand knowledge or experience. This is how a lot of misinformation spreads today.
    winnar.

    there is nothing more gratifying within the automotive hobby aside from the 1st time you manage to remove an engine/drivetrain and transplant something different into it.
    and turning the key only to hear it work...

    open headers help.

    Leave a comment:


  • F34R
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Burns
    I just wanted to bust out a 5 page read to flip through during poo breaks at work
    4 years on here and you're still using default posts per page?

    Leave a comment:


  • reelizmpro
    replied
    Depends on what one considers an "enthusiast." I think enthusiast is a broad term because there are people who collect, drive and enjoy wrenching on them. To me, the "true enthusiast" is one who does it ALL because there are many (especially these days) casual owners who buy the car because it's trendy/retro. First of all, the "true enthusiast" would have bought an E30 a long time ago (if they could), well before they were hipster/drift/stance cars back when they were still classy. It's easy for someone with money to just buy a project, drop it off at different shops and have a nice show quality car. A true enthusiast would want to know how it works and how to fix it because he is in it for the long haul. If the same job comes up again later, he knows how to fix it and he's proud to fix it himself. If the car breaks down on the side of the road, he knows how to troubleshoot and maybe get it running again. The guys who just write checks will not learn a damn thing except that it's expensive not learning how to work on an old car. When he speaks, he is just repeating what he's heard from other people without any first hand knowledge or experience. This is how a lot of misinformation spreads today.

    Leave a comment:


  • Exodus_2pt0
    replied
    Originally posted by rturbo 930
    Some people aren't mechanically inclined, should that disqualify them from being a car enthusiast? Or, some people might not have a garage, and therefore don't have space to work on the car, or a place to keep the tools to do so. Or, they simply don't have the time between work, kids, whatever other responsibilities they have. Does that make them any less of a car enthusiast?
    My point was more about having an understanding of the inner workings that go into an automobile. If you don't care to find out how it works and understand how to perform repairs on your own, then no I wouldn't really consider you an enthusiast, and that's by definition.

    If you like cars but don't care about the technical side of them, then you aren't an enthusiast.

    I have a kid and no garage. I do my own repairs out of necessity. But, if I had a disposable income I would pay someone else to do the work for me. What I mean, is that all life conditions aside as long as you have the understanding of how to do these things, then I would consider you to be an enthusiast.


    Plenty of people wouldn't classify me as an enthusiast at this point in time because I'm not active in the scene because as you said, work and kids is where I chose to spend my time. I have a pile of parts and no drive to install them. I would rather pay someone to put them on for me. BUT, if I wanted to, I could.

    Leave a comment:


  • marshallnoise
    replied
    I don't think it is a requirement to wrench on your car to be a gearhead, but if you do, you are certified. If I was loaded, I would definitely offload a decent amount of work.

    Leave a comment:


  • 613EDRTY
    replied
    Im putting a built not bought sticker on my deck hahaha

    Leave a comment:


  • Mr. Burns
    replied
    BTW yes. You are a deck enthusiast now.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mr. Burns
    replied
    I just wanted to bust out a 5 page read to flip through during poo breaks at work

    Leave a comment:


  • 613EDRTY
    replied
    If you do all your own wrenching but nothing is torqued to the proper spec are you a true enthusiast?

    I built my own deck, am I a deck enthusiast now?

    Opinions are like assholes, we all have one. Finding a single answer to this question isn't going to happen.

    Leave a comment:


  • slammin.e28
    replied
    Originally posted by rturbo 930
    If you told Jeremy Clarkson that he's not a car enthusiast because he doesn't work on his own cars, I bet he'd punch you in the face.
    But he does work on stuff....with a hammer.

    Also side note.....thread title specifies e30s.....not just cars.

    Leave a comment:


  • crzylildude
    replied
    Good one OP... I like this... very interesting... I hope you don't mind me re-posting this on IG..

    And I do like working on my cars... and I don't care what others call me... It relieves my stress from work... so thumbs up on this :D

    Leave a comment:


  • rturbo 930
    replied
    Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0
    That said, no, I don't think you HAVE to wrench to be considered an enthusiast, so long as you COULD wrench on it if you wanted to.
    Some people aren't mechanically inclined, should that disqualify them from being a car enthusiast? Or, some people might not have a garage, and therefore don't have space to work on the car, or a place to keep the tools to do so. Or, they simply don't have the time between work, kids, whatever other responsibilities they have. Does that make them any less of a car enthusiast?

    Originally posted by nando
    lYou really like video games. except, you don't like to play them much or don't have time - solution! pay somebody else to do it for you!

    or, you want an education, but that's too hard. I know! pay somebody to take your tests and go to lectures for you! (yes, it happens).
    These aren't really good comparisons. A better comparison would be someone that likes video games, but only plays campaign mode, or only plays multiplayer online. Just because they don't enjoy every facet of the game doesn't mean they don't genuinely enjoy video games.

    Doing your own work on cars is only one part of the car hobby, and I think it's silly to say that someone isn't a car enthusiast if they don't work on it.

    I work on my cars, but I do so because I can't afford to pay a shop, and because even if I could, I don't really trust a shop to do the work to my standards. I don't mind smaller jobs, but anything that involves getting under the car on my back I dread doing. I'd happily pay someone to do that for me. And I'm really not good at it, either.



    If you told Jeremy Clarkson that he's not a car enthusiast because he doesn't work on his own cars, I bet he'd punch you in the face.

    Leave a comment:


  • Exodus_2pt0
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Burns
    AKA: Benchracer.
    Except you won't get the skill and knowledge from being a benchracer, so....

    Leave a comment:

Working...