Does a TRUE e30 enthusiast need to wrench on their cars?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • IronFreak
    replied
    Originally posted by ttrousdell
    To me a car enthusiast and a gear head are different. I know a lot of people that claim to be "car enthusiasts" that dont work on anything. A gear head knows about the inner workings of his car and does at least some work on his car.
    Even if i was mega rich i would be working on my car. I get satisfaction telling people "i built that"
    This^

    Also...I don't think you have to turn wrenches to be a enthusiast. I have friends that are very VERY good drivers that do next to nothing on their own cars, doesn't mean they aren't enthusiasts of the sport. I have friends that appreciate and are enthusiastic about cars from a visual perspective. I think a "true enthusiast" is someone that is passionate about cars to one degree or another.

    If I was rich I would still work on cars, its in my blood, how I was raised. I would however have people do the things I didn't want to do, maintenance is boring, building turbo manifolds is awesome.

    -Gearhead

    Leave a comment:


  • ST1G
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Burns
    AKA: Benchracer.


    Nailed it.

    Leave a comment:


  • F34R
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Burns
    so we all agree to a certain degree.

    Nando hit the nail on the head.

    Jeremy Clarkson= gearhead/hammer extraordinaire
    Richard Hammon= gearhead
    James May=mega gearhead.

    FTFY

    Leave a comment:


  • Exodus_2pt0
    replied
    I would work on my toys and pay someone to repair the dd's.

    That said, no, I don't think you HAVE to wrench to be considered an enthusiast, so long as you COULD wrench on it if you wanted to.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mr. Burns
    replied
    Originally posted by ST1G
    But you can understand, be informed and knowledgeable without actually doing it yourself.
    AKA: Benchracer.

    Leave a comment:


  • lambo
    replied
    Originally posted by Dj Buttchug
    regardless of my funds I would always work on my own cars. I don't trust other people to do things properly and to my standards
    I am starting to not trust myself...

    Leave a comment:


  • ST1G
    replied
    But you can understand, be informed and knowledgeable without actually doing it yourself. An enthusiasts is passionate about the car. When I make enough money that doing a timing belt job, or clutch job isn't worth my time, it doesn't mean I won't know how to do it, or understand it. It just won't be worth my time to do.

    Leave a comment:


  • slammin.e28
    replied
    ^^ This. Perfect.

    Leave a comment:


  • nando
    replied
    Originally posted by slammin.e28
    I guess the main thing that grinds my gears is the bragging by those who have shops do things.

    Mostly it turns into "I installed xxxx".....somewhere in the mix the "had" between "I" and "installed" will disappear.

    Also usually the people having the work done are really cheap. Like, almost in a, why don't you DIY it kind of way. If you wanna pay to have it done.....you're going to have to be willing pay. We're not going to cut corners to save you money. Do it right, or find someone else who will cut corners or DIY it.
    let's think of it another way.

    You really like video games. except, you don't like to play them much or don't have time - solution! pay somebody else to do it for you!

    or, you want an education, but that's too hard. I know! pay somebody to take your tests and go to lectures for you! (yes, it happens).

    you might be a driving enthusiast. or maybe you like going to car shows, showing off the garage queen and BSing with other people. but how can you be a car enthusiast if you don't know anything about how it works or how it was built?

    How "enthusiastic" can you be about any subject that is a black box that you don't understand?

    Leave a comment:


  • ThatOneEuroE30
    replied
    The way I see it. You can't call your self an enthusiast if you can't turn a wrench. I've met people who say they are the biggest car guys ever but don't even know wtf a impact wrench is. To me your a true enthusiast you work on your own cars.

    Leave a comment:


  • Dj Buttchug
    replied
    regardless of my funds I would always work on my own cars. I don't trust other people to do things properly and to my standards

    Leave a comment:


  • slammin.e28
    replied
    I guess the main thing that grinds my gears is the bragging by those who have shops do things.

    Mostly it turns into "I installed xxxx".....somewhere in the mix the "had" between "I" and "installed" will disappear.

    Also usually the people having the work done are really cheap. Like, almost in a, why don't you DIY it kind of way. If you wanna pay to have it done.....you're going to have to be willing pay. We're not going to cut corners to save you money. Do it right, or find someone else who will cut corners or DIY it.

    Leave a comment:


  • Shangsta
    replied
    Originally posted by roguetoaster
    Bingo. Essentially every rich car nut I know does this as they understand economies of time. The only exception being something nostalgic that they worked on for years and years, or maybe with a family member.
    :stupid:

    Leave a comment:


  • rturbo 930
    replied
    Originally posted by slammin.e28
    Where's the fun in just paying someone to do the work?
    Not everyone enjoys car work.


    My vote is no.

    Originally posted by Mr. Burns
    what about "famous" people who use older BMW's as part of their image? such as:

    Tyler The Creator
    Frank Ocean
    Action Bronson

    think any of those guys actually truly turn wrenches on their Bmw's?

    I doubt it.
    From what I know about him, I would say Frank Ocean is a real E30 enthusiast, and we know he doesn't work on it since he sends it to Castro. My gut feeling is that Tyler is just hopping on the bandwagon though. I have no idea who Action Bronson is.
    Last edited by rturbo 930; 03-18-2015, 08:13 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Ether-D
    replied
    I like my eggs over medium. That's the only way to eat eggs if you're an egg enthusiast.

    Leave a comment:

Working...