No announcement yet.

OFFICIAL: Toyota SUV/truck thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PSA, when you take your old Yotas in for tires and alignment, break the locknuts on the tie rods free for the guys at the shop.

Installed the lift yesterday, didn't have any issues with rusted bolts or anything stuck. Thought about breaking the locknuts free but said "fuck it" and doused them in penetrating oil.

Tires are on, and I just got a call from the shop saying that the right outer tie rod separated from the ball joint trying to break it free. I asked if they put any heat on it before exerting that kind of force, they said they aren't allowed to any more.

They then tried to tell me that the outer joints both had play. This is when I broke out the "ase master technician" card and the tone changed some. The thing just went through inspection in September, and the guy wrote it up for cracked brake hose rubber, wipers, and the rusted frame. I doubt he missed tie rod play. Not to mention, I shook the front end down last night when I installed the lift.

They are going to replace the tie rod they fucked up. Now telling me I need inner and outer tie rods.

So, I'm seriously considering going over there with a torch, adjustable, and pipe wrench and break the other one free for them.
    No E30 Club
    Originally posted by MrBurgundy
    Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Well, they replaced the inner and outer tie rod free of charge. I ended up doing an eyeball toe using only the new side, so my wheel is crooked but at least it tracks straight and isn't eating the tires up.

Going to break it free tonight and head back in the morning. IMO they redeemed themselves for doing the repair free of charge without me having to ask.

On to photos. I love it. Good call, Sleeve. I haven't noticed any loss in power.

No E30 Club
      Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

My truck put in some work last weekend. Trailered my E36 M3/4/5 up from PHX to Flagstaff. Was only about 150 miles, but there is about 9-10000' of elevation to climb on the way back. Truck did very well for what it is. I usually average about 18 mpg on the freeway. Was able to get 13.5 on the drive up. I am impressed.

My previous build (currently E30-less)
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

thats a long long hill to climb coming from PHX. I remeber thinking going down it last fall this is going to piss off my 1FZ going back up lol.....

Looks great exodus ought to get you where ever you want to go on the east coast fairly well.
          Originally posted by Fusion
          If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
          The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
          William Pitt-

Comment

So after reading stories about the factory frame not being able to hold up to the load of an extended panhard mount, I decided to do some reinforcement of the Toytec drop bracket.

End result:

I also screwed up and welded it with a slight angle. I decided I didn't want to cut it off, so I made my own adjustable bar using some grade 8 hardware and a lot of time making sure it is straight. I figure it will be nice to fine tune the axle position anyway.

Other update, found out the cause or my misfire. Luckily it must have either burned up or spit right out the exhaust valve. The truck is running like a champ with new plugs.

I'm done tinkering with it for a while. Really happy with everything at this point. Plus, the house is taking up most of my free time getting it the way we want it. Doing all the work in the garage has been amazing though. No more gravel driveway work!
            No E30 Club

Comment

I have discovered that right before winter is the worst time to look for a truck lol

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
              Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
                I have discovered that right before winter is the worst time to look for a truck lol
                Good time to buy a bike though.

Comment

Originally posted by ST1G View Post
                  Just so happens I want one of those too... 🤔

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                  Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Or a boat.

Considering selling the Miata to buy one, but now is the worst time to sell a Miata lol.

Vicious cycle.
                    No E30 Club

Comment

Haha for you people that actually have winters.

Right now everyone is bringing their bikes out here, prices are highest during our perfect riding season aka "winter".

---

Another trip or two since I've last posted on it's way.

I like shooting the LX/hundy looking all brochure like if we rewind 16 years.

But I did a thing.

Excitement.

I'm going to try to rationalize having both for awhile... because I'm sick.
                      Last edited by DEV0 E30; 10-11-2016, 11:50 AM.
                      Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Yeah that falls into a "thing" category.

MMMM tarbo diesel..... Left or right hand drive?????? From an importer or just something you ran across ???

Possible dibs on Hundy
                        If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                        The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                        William Pitt-

Comment

Devo, I saw that update on BookFace.

Awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                            Yeah that falls into a "thing" category.

MMMM tarbo diesel..... Left or right hand drive?????? From an importer or just something you ran across ???

Possible dibs on Hundy
                            Right, 5 speed. JDM yo. An importer, but I'm getting involved in the operation. Hoping to be in it for the long haul as an accessory to it. That way when V8 diesels are 25 years old, I can get the dream rig for myself (Diesel V8 Troopy).

Haha, one other is first in line. I have to offer it up to him first, but I'm not sure when I'd sell it. I paid a premium, but I think it's worth more, and I won't let it go for less than what I paid. The clapped out market is selling for half or more than what I'd want, so there's that. After I fix the few annoyances and have it as clean as I want to get it, I'd likely sell it. But I need to sell the E30 and get the 61 where I'm happy with it long before the LX goes anywhere.

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
                            Devo, I saw that update on BookFace.

Awesome!
                            I'm itching to order a 50 gallon tank for that sweet sweet diesel 1000 Mile range but I think I should have possession of it before I do that. Trying to be logical. It's going to be a camera whore, so you're gonna be seeing lots of it. And, of course if someone is interested in one... I'm that guy now.
                            Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Originally posted by DEV0 E30 View Post
                              And, of course if someone is interested in one... I'm that guy now.
                              Good to know!

Comment

LOL

Is it weird that I have briefly considered moving to Australia or OZ on several occasions, for the sole reason I could go buy a new 76 Series GLX with the 1VD in it.

Its fine on the hundy, we are in no big hurry to replace her rig yet ;) Yours is one of the few hundys I have seen lately that are worth what you paid, most I see listed are woefully maintained and clapped out rust buckets and trying to get clean maintained non-abused premium pricing for them... Because............ LANDCRUISER badges

William Pitt-

Comment

Working...
                                X