No announcement yet.

OFFICIAL: Toyota SUV/truck thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Took the truck out on its first serious voyage. Traveled to the Mojave National Preserve to do the Mojave Trail.

A couple photos came out decent enough to share:

iPhone

Tacomas in Mojave by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

This one is my current favorite

Mojave - Day 2 - 42 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

A friend hanging tire

Mojave - Day 1 - 9 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

The longer wheelbase of the DCLB skipped all of that fanfare

Mojave - Day 1 - 17 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Salt Road

Mojave - Day 3 - 60 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Just paid the truck off yesterday actually. 1 year and 11 days after purchase. Now all ~$85,000 worth of 'stuff' is mine, and only mine. #feelsgoodman
    My previous build (currently E30-less)
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post

Just paid the truck off yesterday actually. 1 year and 11 days after purchase. Now all ~$85,000 worth of 'stuff' is mine, and only mine. #feelsgoodman
      Congrats! Does that mean we get some LS-E36 updates soon? or are you still Van-Life-ing it?

Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

Congrats! Does that mean we get some LS-E36 updates soon? or are you still Van-Life-ing it?
        Thanks Simon!

Yes, E36 updates most likely to return in a month or so. Itching to get back after the restoration after the ~10 month hiatus.

The truck life thing is on hold temporarily, at the moment. To my complete surprise, I stumbled across a women who I thoroughly enjoy, and she thoroughly enjoys me. We basically live the adventuring lifestyle already, but with a 'basecamp' in her comfortable apartment. Mountain bike rides, rock climbing, hikes, trail runs, things like that, at least every other day. Huge weekend trips every weekend. We just did the Rim to Rim to Rim hike at the Grand Canyon this past weekend. 48 miles, over 2 miles of vertical, 28 hr 40 min nonstop hiking. A living nightmare, an abysmal experience, but man was it worth it.

Another backpacking trip to West Fork near Sedona this weekend.

It's the best of both worlds IMO. Loads of time outdoors, but with a best friend, and a comfortable bed and shower when we want it.

We will most likely live out of my truck together at some point, but after she finishes paying off her student loans from obtaining her doctorate.

Comment

Congrats on all fronts Mike!

Most action my LX has gotten lately was I drove it to work today. Trying not to hit the gas pump that often in it as of late for obvious reasons.
          Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Looking like I'll be bailing on going out to the easter jeep safari in in moab with my dad in the 80 this year. My mom's been having some health issues lately, so I'm going to stay with them for the week instead and we will probably do some wheeling around sedona since they live near the area.

I want to get out to one of the cars and coffee off road meetups with it sometime, but I'm not paying for gas to get it down from my parents where I keep it stored to get it to a car show. On 37s now and we've been working on the fender wells, still have a few more adjustments but it's tucking pretty well. My dad's been getting out in it fairly often, so I get pics of it pretty often when him and my mom out in sedona lol.

91 318is | 97 FZJ80

Comment

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
              Psssst.
              I saw you pass me on 7th street again - I was in the EM1 waiting to turn, I flashed my brights, I assume your double tap on brakes meant you saw me?

Comment

Originally posted by DEV0 E30 View Post

I saw you pass me on 7th street again - I was in the EM1 waiting to turn, I flashed my brights, I assume your double tap on brakes meant you saw me?
                I noticed the gorgeous blue as I was passing under the 101. Had my window up or I would have tossed out a hand sign.

Clicked the hazards when I saw the brights flash.

Beautiful car. It's funny how this has happened twice now. lol never before in my life.

Comment

getting in the mood for summer

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                  Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

^^ Get out there man!

Outside of St. George UT a couple weekends ago.....

Tacoma in St. George by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Comment

Southern Utah is so beautiful.

The boys and I are planning a trip out there for this Memorial day weekend for some light wheeling and to hit some backpacking trails. Maybe even get pulled out by Matt's... LOL
                      Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
                        Southern Utah is so beautiful.

The boys and I are planning a trip out there for this Memorial day weekend for some light wheeling and to hit some backpacking trails. Maybe even get pulled out by Matt's... LOL
                        Lol

Not sure if I mentioned it here, but I met Matt and his crew a year ago. Really cool group of people.

OVRFLG meets Matts Offroad Recovery by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

OVRFLG meets Matts Offroad Recovery by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Comment

That's awesome.

I watch a lot of their videos when I'm taking dumps
                          Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Took the truck out near Lake Roosevelt to canyoneer two canyons out in that area.

Had it loaded up with 5 people, plus a full days worth of gear and food/water. Heavy AF.

~30 miles on dirt roads. The truck absolutely ate up everything I threw at it. 60 mph over cattle guards, 40+ on washboards, smashing through dips and washouts at any speed, all while staying comfortable. Thoroughly impressed. Super stable and responsive.

The combination of beefy, custom valved shocks, custom leafs, heavy duty bump stops, and frame reinforcing has simply transformed this machine into something massively capable.

Obligatory pics of the truck and the adventure:

Towards Payson/Roosevelt by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Towards Payson/Roosevelt by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

The Jug and Parker Canyon by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Comment

Hells to the yes.

Taco's can be made into anything, but most slightly built I've been in had nothing on the suspension that thing has. Glad you're happy with her. If the LX's oem hydraulic system ever dies, I'm going to go down a rabbit hole.

Comment

Originally posted by DEV0 E30 View Post
                                Hells to the yes.

Taco's can be made into anything, but most slightly built I've been in had nothing on the suspension that thing has. Glad you're happy with her. If the LX's oem hydraulic system ever dies, I'm going to go down a rabbit hole.
                                It's addictive for sure, once you experience the difference that legitimate aftermarket suspension makes.

I'm relocating the rear shock towers and upgrading to 3" diameter, 14" long shocks in the rear. Helps with droop and the aftermarket shock towers allow me to tie the wheel well of the bed into the frame, which will help the bed last longer with all the weight attached to it.

Front is going dual shear steering, cam tabs are getting upgraded and welded in place (will never need another alignment, as only destruction of components would ever cause a misalignment) reinforced spindles, and long travel, as of now. I'm sure it won't end there.

Comment

Working...
                                X