No announcement yet.

OFFICIAL: Toyota SUV/truck thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another trip. Flagstaff. Spent some time driving around and hiking on Mt Elden, just north of town. Escaping the valley to mountains every chance I get. I love this freaking thing.

Mt Elden, highest possible point to drive to on Mt Elden that day. Directly behind from where this photo was taken is a gate that leads to the firewatch/lookout tower (was locked to vehicles, but was a quick hike in comparison to all of the other hiking done earlier in the day). Winds were strong at the top ~50mph but was still able to make it up the flights to the tower itself. A little hairy but what a view - around 9,000 feet. The highest mountain peak in the background is Humphreys Peak, a few thousand feet higher at ~12,600 feet.

I've always wanted to be in a tower and talk to the forest service fireman on watch, pretty cool experience. As long as you aren't afraid of heights I'd highly recommend it. Guy I spoke to has been doing it for 38 years, was in Montana in towers for most of his time in the forest service.
    Last edited by DEV0 E30; 07-19-2016, 02:40 AM.
    Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

My '16 TRDpro 4runner :)

Comment

Originally posted by DEV0 E30 View Post
        Another trip. Flagstaff. Spent some time driving around and hiking on Mt Elden, just north of town. Escaping the valley to mountains every chance I get. I love this freaking thing.

Mt Elden, highest possible point to drive to on Mt Elden that day. Directly behind from where this photo was taken is a gate that leads to the firewatch/lookout tower (was locked to vehicles, but was a quick hike in comparison to all of the other hiking done earlier in the day). Winds were strong at the top ~50mph but was still able to make it up the flights to the tower itself. A little hairy but what a view - around 9,000 feet. The highest mountain peak in the background is Humphreys Peak, a few thousand feet higher at ~12,600 feet.

I've always wanted to be in a tower and talk to the forest service fireman on watch, pretty cool experience. As long as you aren't afraid of heights I'd highly recommend it. Guy I spoke to has been doing it for 38 years, was in Montana in towers for most of his time in the forest service.

Another spot in AZ my wife and I both really like FLAG. When we were there this spring we both were looking at real estate listing lol..... I had to grab some parts at the local O'Reilly in flag and the guy at the counter spotted my foot wear ( I wear the same boots that most wild land fire guys do) He was a wild land fire guy based outta flag for 32 years and works auto parts for something to do in retirement. Its a really neat place and next time I get down that way will likely spend a few days exploring the area a bit more.
        Originally posted by Fusion
        If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
        The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
        William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
          Another spot in AZ my wife and I both really like FLAG. When we were there this spring we both were looking at real estate listing lol..... I had to grab some parts at the local O'Reilly in flag and the guy at the counter spotted my foot wear ( I wear the same boots that most wild land fire guys do) He was a wild land fire guy based outta flag for 32 years and works auto parts for something to do in retirement. Its a really neat place and next time I get down that way will likely spend a few days exploring the area a bit more.
          Nice. I love Flagstaff. I really want to be able to purchase some land up there outside of town in a few years. Something near or up against National Forest land to have something remote to escape to during the summer or live in during the summer. It's nice that Flag is only 2 hours north of me. I've been up there a lot over the years, but there's always more to explore. It's starting to increase in price again though, I wish I could buy a plot sooner rather than later.
          Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Well finally got tired of all the dust infiltration in the back end every time I hit the back country. BIG hole right behind the mudflap on the pass side where you could not see it easily. Had to go dig out my 110v flux core mig machine since I have no 220 where I am right now, and got a chunk of 16ga for the hardware store, and made a couple of patch plates up, found 1/2 a can of hide-a-hack (3m undercoating) and that was that, total out of pocket cost on this deal 9 bucks for the plate of tin. Took me about 4 hours from wheel off to wheel on, and given I have not touched this welder in 4 years and have not struck an arc in 2 I dont think it turned out too bad. Hosed the inner fender down inside really well with Fluid film, while it was open. Sorry about the crappy cell phone pics.

Started with this cut out a lot more rust you can see about where the good metal starts in this shot getting back near the drain hole, and to the far right side. Had to make a plate to put back there so I had something to weld the cap plate to on the end.

2016-07-26_09-40-10 by mrsleeve, on Flickr

Ended up with this about 3 hours latter with a bunch of slag burns on my wrist getting between my glove and shirt (could not find my welding gloves). Not that bad for flux core and outta practice , had a big hole to fill on the right side. Yeah I knocked a BIG hole in it..... LOL Cleaned up the remainder of surface rust and pealing paint, hosed it all down with Hide-a-hack put the mud flap back on and it should keep the dust and water out now lol. All of it is behind the bumper cover and mudflaps so it will never been seen, so it didnt have to be pretty thank god
            2016-07-26_09-39-20 by mrsleeve, on Flickr
            Last edited by mrsleeve; 07-26-2016, 11:33 PM.
            If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
            The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
            William Pitt-

Comment

I hate flux core and cheap welders!

That said, not bad all things considered!

Ever try ARC welding with 2 car batteries wired in series? If I can't have gas, I'll take arc over flux core only Mig anyway. 7018 welds everything, I have yet to try the battery welding process but ive read about people having good success when their rig breaks in the middle of nowhere.
              No E30 Club
              Originally posted by MrBurgundy
              Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Its not your average H/F 110v machine, its a Lincoln sp100 from the mid 90's, yes its an entry level set up, but it works really well for what it is. I got for fixing shit by using a smallish gen set for power out in the woods, or fence gates and so on where gird power might not be available or for friends where 220v was not available. Cant really beat the fact I paid something like 125 bucks for it 8 or 9 years ago either lol

I need play with it more I think I should have had the heat turned up a little bit more or the wire speed down some to get a little more soak time with out piling a ton of extra material on. As there is little evidence of a heat affected zone near those welds, but I didnt want to be blowing more holes it the body panels as they were a little thin in places its a solid patch job no more no less....

Yes I tired a the jumper cables + marine battery + electrode way back in high school (though I think I used a coat hanger) just to prove to a friend of mine it could be done. was not a good weld but it did make to bit of metal stick together....sorta. Would have been better with a 6010 or 6011 or 7018 for sure
                Last edited by mrsleeve; 07-27-2016, 03:22 PM.

William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by niccuhles View Post

My '16 TRDpro 4runner :)
                  I love that color. I wish it was offered in all models and not just the TRD. I want to paint my e30 in this color.
                  1989 325i S50 swapped
                  2007 4Runner Sport V8

Comment

Originally posted by bumada View Post
                    I love that color. I wish it was offered in all models and not just the TRD. I want to paint my e30 in this color.
                    It is a great color.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
                    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
                    Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
                    Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

It doesn't get better

Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                      Alice the Time Capsule
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                      87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Now that the dust hole is sealed up in the fender I got some work on some other stuff. Fixed my power Antenna it goes up and down again. Finally got started and made some decent progress on my rear drawer set. Still need to dado drawer sides and front and cut the drawer bottoms and fronts. Sildes and the rest of the hardware should be here in a couple of days and need. So just need to get some marine carpet and a little paint to cover up all the hackery of a cabinet maker I am lol. Its going to have a hatch style locker up near the rear seats. Drawers are 28x20 and the locker is 12x42 Got this far with it to day. All made from 1/2 inch Birch other than 1/4 bottom plate

crappy phone pic sitting in my truck doing its "work bench" impersonation
                        2016-08-03_10-46-53 by mrsleeve, on Flickr

William Pitt-

Comment

I know its not a yota but this seems to be the only active 4x4 thread:

IMG_9406 by Wschnitz, on Flickr

Im extremely excited to get out and wheel in it. Right after I drown the whole thing in por15.
                          1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
                          willschnitz

Comment

dont tip it over lol

William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                              dont tip it over lol
                              Ok Mr.Consumer Reports I wont.

I think its crazy they labeled it as dangerous when it had second highest static stability, only behind the wrangler.

Meanwhile the Ford Explorer rolls if you look at it funny on the freeway.
                              1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
                              willschnitz

Comment

Honestly that thing looks clean as hell! Doesn't look like much cargo capacity but I imagine it's no worse than a Jeep.

Let's see what this thing can do! 86 mile tow to deliver the car. (Extra$100 to do so, dolly cost$50.)

No E30 Club
                                Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                                Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Working...
                                X