OFFICIAL: Toyota SUV/truck thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eric View Post
    Most guys just swap them out for the 13WL tundra calipers. Bigger rotors, bigger calipers for the same price as buying rebuilt caliper kit.
    +1 I have done it and I helped a buddy do it.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
    Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
    Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

I need to do it on mine, but the brakes on mine have lasted forever!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
        Most guys just swap them out for the 13WL tundra calipers. Bigger rotors, bigger calipers for the same price as buying rebuilt caliper kit.
        Good to know!

In other news, passed inspection!
        No E30 Club
        Originally posted by MrBurgundy
        Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Finally on the look out for something myself. It's proving difficult to find a manual 3.4 4runner or Tacoma for a reasonable price with less than 250k miles. Originally I was shooting for under 200k but that is next to impossible...

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
          Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
            Finally on the look out for something myself. It's proving difficult to find a manual 3.4 4runner or Tacoma for a reasonable price with less than 250k miles. Originally I was shooting for under 200k but that is next to impossible...
            Yeah it is pretty hard to find them. It took me like 6 or 7 months to finally find a truck that I liked for a decent price. I only have a 4 cylinder 2wd tacoma but finding one for $3000 one owner and only 175,000 miles was a steal. I've dumped a decent chunk of change into it between a complete suspension refresh, body work and a respray since I got in an accident a year after I got it. But I've owned it for a little over two years now and I have around 230,000 miles on it and it drives like a dream. Sometimes I wish I had a 6 cylinder one to tow my e30 to track days but being in college and driving a lot the mpg's of the 4 cylinder have been awesome.

The problem is most people just don't want to sell these things, if they're like me they plan to run these trucks into the ground or until they rust away from underneath. Just keep an eye out good deals on them do show up, I'm sure you'll find one.
            -Dee
            5-lugged turbo 318is Barn car
            IG: @deebelmont

Comment

Am I dumb for considering this?

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
              Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
                http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/5800761874.html

Am I dumb for considering this?
                Haha, not at all. Life is short. Looks like a blast.

Try and lowball him. If it works out and you feel like you're buying it for less than you can sell it for a year down the line then definitely go for it.

That's a strategy I have used before. Got me into a couple of cool cars/4wd's and each time I have pocketed a small bit of cash when I sold it. Win/Win/Win.
                My previous build (currently E30-less)
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

NO NO YOUR NOT. Just remember with a 3fe in a stock 80 the speed limit signs are more of a goal than anything especially on stock gears and 35's.

No diff locks, and no lift but some of the major services done, if it is truly solid and rust free 4k is good enough price, and if the int is NOT totally trashed I might pay what hes asking.

Really crawl around under it and look at the rear quarters from underneath and from the inside angle so you can see where behind where the mudflaps meet the fenders and poke them a bit, this is where mine rusted though partially due to how the flaps hold winter shit, and from leaky rear quarter windows leaking down inside. You can see the drivers side from the inside by pulling the rear jack and tool panel and removing the jack and looking down into the quarter with a flash light. Really look at the tops of the frame rails and where the spring perches weld onto both the frame and axle housings, and where the cross member's bolt to the main frame rails. Bottom of the doors and along glass gasket for the rear hatch (top normally) also tend to rust out.

I would budget some money for some new springs (ome 861/862 combo is "stock height, and swap in about 4 hours) shocks, off the bat, but I would really be looking for a true 3" lift if you want to keep running those 35's off the pavement. If you want to splurge get some of the Fox 2.0 smooth body shocks for about 129 a corner from downsouth motorsports (he can valve them for you as well if need be). This will help keep the 35s from rubbing on shit, and dramatically improve ride and handling both DD and off pavement fun. I would have swaped my rig over the the Fox 2.5 RR's already but I am saving up for a total Stage 4 50mm slinky setup form Australia.

Its likely not going to last long at that price too many stupid hipsters will try and snag it up, I would be shooting for 3500 or less, (cash talks) as there is likely plenty of deferred maintenance if you look hard enough, like all the suspension bushings, (likely still factory installed and they really should to be FACTORY OEM Yota store parts, and they are not cheap, ((about 30 a pop at whole sale cost) I have a full set of urethane's in the package if you buy this thing and want them let me know) Like I said though if it really is rust free and not too trashy overall 4k is fair given the way these things prices are going up in the last year or 2. (fucking hipsters). Its a 3fe its slow, makes almost no power, and converts fuel to heat and noise with little usable by-product at an alarming rate. That said it will always start, it will always get you home, will go anywhere you point it, good platform to improve upon, and once up to snuff I would not hesitate to jump in it point it in a cardinal direction and drive it until I run out of land to drive upon.

Last note these things are picky about OEM toyota parts going in them for many things, Ih8mud will be your bible for finding what you can go aftermarket on and what needs to be OME. I love mine, I have put 20k miles on it since I got it last july and yesterday we put 72 miles of back country dirt miles on it with out a issue, over pot holes and washboard that eat most newer 4x4s. They are a labor of love and are a little more intensive to own with maintenance and "preflight checks" but 100% worth it!!!!!!

Edit: Last, last note. They are very much a "tractor" of the SUV world in the drive line department, the trans in them also was installed in school buses (91-94 anyway IIRC), the tcase is nearly indestructible (if the VC fails take it out and run it) the axles have their quirks, but are very strong for what they are, and are very serviceable with a hammer, and metric wrench set, and a couple of other "primitive tools" when the need arises to actually fix them

Little inspiration for ya from one of my fav little known spots way off the beaten path from yesterdays back country run
                  Last edited by mrsleeve; 09-27-2016, 05:21 PM.
                  Originally posted by Fusion
                  If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                  The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                  William Pitt-

Comment

eBay ftw.

Just placed an order for some Dick Cepek Extreme country 255/85r16. $175 a piece with "fast n free" shipping from Jegs on there.

They still have 4 left if anyone is looking at tires right now. Best deal I've found.

I really wish BFG made the Ko2 in that size. I looked at 285/75r16's but that size on stock wheels will likely rub the UPA, and many more areas without spacers. Not putting spacers on, and I don't care to spend money on wheels. Also, I like the idea of skinny lighter tires.

Next step is Toytec 3" front with Bilstein 5100's, and Toytec superflex rears with 5100 shocks. Also going to do a panhard bar drop and reinforce it with the leftover 1/8" plate I have from the frame repair, then top it off with a front diff drop to ease wear on the CV shafts.

I looked at OME, but have pretty much settled on the Toytec setup. A little less money, and should do well when loaded up. At stock weight, it should be around 3" front/3.75" rear lift. With 4-500lbs in the back it will be level.
                    No E30 Club
                    Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

So, who bought the last set? One of us?
                      No E30 Club

Comment

This truck continues to impress with what it can do in stock form and on highway tread tires!

Did some exploring after work yesterday. My new location for work has a trail entrance right next door, with no posted signage anywhere. I went a couple miles back and got to a spot I didn't feel comfortable going past, so this was my turn around.

I'll go back once the new tires are on and see where it takes me.

Aside from this one, I found another network with no signage about 5 miles from work as well.

I love Fredericksburg, so far the trail options are reminding me of Butler PA where I spent a good portion of my youth exploring on 4wheelers and dirt bikes.

No E30 Club

Comment

^^ Not bad!

Old roommate had a stock 4runner. He was able to go just about everywhere my 95 cherokee with its 31's and 6" long arm lift was able to go, although not nearly as neatly or as easily. But he got there!

i was impressed to say the least.
                          My previous build (currently E30-less)
                          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

I could do so much with my 3rd gen it's not even funny. It was stock except for larger wheels and tires.

Comment

Well that was quick!

No E30 Club

Comment

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
                                ^^ Not bad!

Old roommate had a stock 4runner. He was able to go just about everywhere my 95 cherokee with its 31's and 6" long arm lift was able to go, although not nearly as neatly or as easily. But he got there!
                                This ^ reminded me instantly of this \/

Originally posted by Fusion
                                If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                                The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                                William Pitt-

Comment

Working...
                                X