No announcement yet.

OFFICIAL: Toyota SUV/truck thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also for those interested... I think we're planning to go back to Moab in September. I'm also thinking of a trip to around Lake Powell next year as well.

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
    Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
      Also for those interested... I think we're planning to go back to Moab in September. I'm also thinking of a trip to around Lake Powell next year as well.
      Interested in Moab.

Lake Powell is also fantastic and will work to join that trip as well since it is so close. Definitely want to get to Alstrom Point, and a guy told me about the Labyrinth slot canyons around there as well.
      My previous build (currently E30-less)
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

I'll keep this thread afloat!

Went back out to Broken Arrow in Sedona again. This time I took along a new friend on his first 4wd trail, ever.

Had a blast. Was much wetter than usual, but traction was still plentiful.

DSC_1724 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

DSC_1709 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

DSC_1719 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Comment

Mike you need better tires ;)
          Originally posted by Fusion
          If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
          The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
          William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
            Mike you need better tires ;)
            Most definitely.

Attempting to avoid doing what I have done to every car I have owned prior to this one: Mod the shit out of it and make it a pain in the ass to deal with on the daily.

The struggle is real.

Comment

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post

Most definitely.

Attempting to avoid doing what I have done to every car I have owned prior to this one: Mod the shit out of it and make it a pain in the ass to deal with on the daily.

The struggle is real.
              No. Joke.

I still regret selling the BRZ........I should have just removed the Ground Control setup for something less track oriented so it wouldn't be such a pain to daily.

I'm trying to figure out how I can finagle getting a truck like this (satisfy the ladies desire for off-roading and camping, but also potentially tow a track car.
              Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
              Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
              One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Most definitely.

The struggle is real.
                If I can be any motivation for avoiding that, I've gone from being able to do about 600km a tank to around 450km just by adding armor and 33" 10 ply tires.

These trucks come horribly geared stock and changing tire size only worsens that. Contemplating 35's now because I like to complain every time I drive.

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post

No. Joke.

I still regret selling the BRZ........I should have just removed the Ground Control setup for something less track oriented so it wouldn't be such a pain to daily.

I'm trying to figure out how I can finagle getting a truck like this (satisfy the ladies desire for off-roading and camping, but also potentially tow a track car.
                  Precisely. I can't describe the feeling of joy associated with just getting in this thing, firing it up, and going anywhere, with no worries whatsoever. That is so addicting to me. Reliability. Ah.

You've probably done your research, but I'd pass on a Tacoma if you will be towing a track car with any regularity. Though Oklahoma is pretty flat (just drove there for work) so that helps. But the Tacoma is just a bit too small for that type of work, IMO. I'll still tow with mine, but if I was going to regularly haul around a race car I would use the V8 Tundra that's also in my driveway.

Comment

Originally posted by cale View Post

If I can be any motivation for avoiding that, I've gone from being able to do about 600km a tank to around 450km just by adding armor and 33" 10 ply tires.

These trucks come horribly geared stock and changing tire size only worsens that. Contemplating 35's now because I like to complain every time I drive.
                    Definitely motivating. Haha.

A lift and tires are incredibly desirable, but I'm going to fit a 10k winch in the bumper, and pick up a set of Kings to re-level the front to stock height after the added weight, and then leave it at that. The truck, as I've shared here, takes me all the places I want to go.

Comment

Precisely. I can't describe the feeling of joy associated with just getting in this thing, firing it up, and going anywhere, with no worries whatsoever. That is so addicting to me. Reliability. Ah.

You've probably done your research, but I'd pass on a Tacoma if you will be towing a track car with any regularity. Though Oklahoma is pretty flat (just drove there for work) so that helps. But the Tacoma is just a bit too small for that type of work, IMO. I'll still tow with mine, but if I was going to regularly haul around a race car I would use the V8 Tundra that's also in my driveway.
                      Open trailer + Miata shouldn't be too bad. I'd have to really crunch budget numbers, but I suspect it would be 6-10 weekends per year depending on budget.

I have no desire to drive a full-size on a daily basis, as any tow/off-road pig would become my DD.
                      Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
                      Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
                      One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post

Open trailer + Miata shouldn't be too bad. I'd have to really crunch budget numbers, but I suspect it would be 6-10 weekends per year depending on budget.

I have no desire to drive a full-size on a daily basis, as any tow/off-road pig would become my DD.
                        Diesel ZR2

Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

^ No thanks
                          In today's QOTD of the day, we ask you about a recent Chevy Colorado ZR2 bent frame story making the rounds on social media. What do you think? Is the Colora...

Comment

Me again!!!!

Alright, so....I have a line on a Sequoia....blown engine. 2007. Guy put a winch on it and it rubbed thru the radiator. It's LOADED, DVD, 3rd row, new frame from Toyota in the last year or so, 4" lift, Warn Winch.

Dude apparently locked the engine up. I was offered the truck back in Nov but a turn of events has it available to me pretty cheap...at most $2000.

A) How rubust is the 2UZFE?
                            B) Would swapping in a 1UZ or 5.7 3UR (possible??) be a better option?
                            C) Would swapping in a BMW V12 be a better option?
                            D) Would swapping in a small Cummins be a better option?
                            E) I am dumb.

IK, I really want a Cruiser, but for the price and condition of this thing I think I can't go wrong. It's not for a flip or anything, it's a keeper if I get one.

Also things to do to the new engine....IK timing belt, WP, etc....but how about various gaskets? Valve adjustment? Things just to make it pretty worry free until the next timing belt replacement.

Thanks guys!
                            1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Originally posted by cale View Post
                              i didn't watch the video but I've seen that before and iirc that dude was towing a trailer offroad and like attempting to blast whoops. Don't act like Tacoma's have perfect frames lol (not fully boxed, lawsuits for the severe lack of anti-corrosion measures, etc etc)

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28 View Post
                                Me again!!!!

Alright, so....I have a line on a Sequoia....blown engine. 2007. Guy put a winch on it and it rubbed thru the radiator. It's LOADED, DVD, 3rd row, new frame from Toyota in the last year or so, 4" lift, Warn Winch.

Dude apparently locked the engine up. I was offered the truck back in Nov but a turn of events has it available to me pretty cheap...at most $2000.

A) How rubust is the 2UZFE?
                                B) Would swapping in a 1UZ or 5.7 3UR (possible??) be a better option?
                                C) Would swapping in a BMW V12 be a better option?
                                D) Would swapping in a small Cummins be a better option?
                                E) I am dumb.

IK, I really want a Cruiser, but for the price and condition of this thing I think I can't go wrong. It's not for a flip or anything, it's a keeper if I get one.

Also things to do to the new engine....IK timing belt, WP, etc....but how about various gaskets? Valve adjustment? Things just to make it pretty worry free until the next timing belt replacement.

Thanks guys!
                                The UZ family of engines are ridiculously robust. Not sure how he managed to blow one tbh. I'd just slap another one in and call it a day. Iirc the only real difference between 1uz and 2uz is variable valve timing.

Comment

Working...
                                X