Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MR E30 325is
    replied
    7 Days until I head out on a 5-day trip to drive from the US/Mexico border in AZ up to Flagstaff on the AZBDR (primarily dirt roads).

Don't let me be the only one who contributes cool photos to this thread. I am sure the rest of you do cool stuff!

Leave a comment:

• slammin.e28
    replied

Originally posted by lambo View Post

The UZ family of engines are ridiculously robust. Not sure how he managed to blow one tbh. I'd just slap another one in and call it a day. Iirc the only real difference between 1uz and 2uz is variable valve timing.
    We settled on $1200. Just worried about the Japanese UZs vs the US UZs ans piston slap now. Hopefully taking possession of the truck in the next two weeks or so.

PPO installed a winch that caused a radiator leak he kept "topping up"........well see how it plays out but I'm banking on an engine.....

Leave a comment:

• lambo
    replied
    Originally posted by cale View Post

That'd be news to me, source?
    I'll find more shit tomorrow but in my brief drunk research here you go:

Click image for larger version

Name:	0e88b93d105444383298ae5838c520a8.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	9903852

Also don't buy a Tacoma because, by your logic, this may happen to you as well:

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...lovers.504957/

Moral of the story: don't over-drive your stock truck and it won't break.

Also Raptor frames have been bent because of people over driving them. It's all driver error/over confidence.

Stop cherry picking anecdotal cases to make a point.

Leave a comment:

• cale
    replied
    Originally posted by lambo View Post
    i didn't watch the video but I've seen that before and iirc that dude was towing a trailer offroad and like attempting to blast whoops.
    That'd be news to me, source?

Leave a comment:

• lambo
    replied
    Originally posted by slammin.e28 View Post
    Me again!!!!

Alright, so....I have a line on a Sequoia....blown engine. 2007. Guy put a winch on it and it rubbed thru the radiator. It's LOADED, DVD, 3rd row, new frame from Toyota in the last year or so, 4" lift, Warn Winch.

Dude apparently locked the engine up. I was offered the truck back in Nov but a turn of events has it available to me pretty cheap...at most $2000.

A) How rubust is the 2UZFE?
    B) Would swapping in a 1UZ or 5.7 3UR (possible??) be a better option?
    C) Would swapping in a BMW V12 be a better option?
    D) Would swapping in a small Cummins be a better option?
    E) I am dumb.

IK, I really want a Cruiser, but for the price and condition of this thing I think I can't go wrong. It's not for a flip or anything, it's a keeper if I get one.

Also things to do to the new engine....IK timing belt, WP, etc....but how about various gaskets? Valve adjustment? Things just to make it pretty worry free until the next timing belt replacement.

Thanks guys!
    The UZ family of engines are ridiculously robust. Not sure how he managed to blow one tbh. I'd just slap another one in and call it a day. Iirc the only real difference between 1uz and 2uz is variable valve timing.

Leave a comment:

• lambo
    replied
    i didn't watch the video but I've seen that before and iirc that dude was towing a trailer offroad and like attempting to blast whoops. Don't act like Tacoma's have perfect frames lol (not fully boxed, lawsuits for the severe lack of anti-corrosion measures, etc etc)

Leave a comment:

• slammin.e28
    replied
    Me again!!!!

Alright, so....I have a line on a Sequoia....blown engine. 2007. Guy put a winch on it and it rubbed thru the radiator. It's LOADED, DVD, 3rd row, new frame from Toyota in the last year or so, 4" lift, Warn Winch.

Dude apparently locked the engine up. I was offered the truck back in Nov but a turn of events has it available to me pretty cheap...at most $2000.

A) How rubust is the 2UZFE?
    B) Would swapping in a 1UZ or 5.7 3UR (possible??) be a better option?
    C) Would swapping in a BMW V12 be a better option?
    D) Would swapping in a small Cummins be a better option?
    E) I am dumb.

IK, I really want a Cruiser, but for the price and condition of this thing I think I can't go wrong. It's not for a flip or anything, it's a keeper if I get one.

Also things to do to the new engine....IK timing belt, WP, etc....but how about various gaskets? Valve adjustment? Things just to make it pretty worry free until the next timing belt replacement.

Thanks guys!

Leave a comment:

• cale
    replied
    ^ No thanks
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xqim5LQAJF8&t=1s

Leave a comment:

• lambo
    replied
    Originally posted by z31maniac View Post

Open trailer + Miata shouldn't be too bad. I'd have to really crunch budget numbers, but I suspect it would be 6-10 weekends per year depending on budget.

I have no desire to drive a full-size on a daily basis, as any tow/off-road pig would become my DD.
    Diesel ZR2

Leave a comment:

• z31maniac
    replied
    Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post

Precisely. I can't describe the feeling of joy associated with just getting in this thing, firing it up, and going anywhere, with no worries whatsoever. That is so addicting to me. Reliability. Ah.

You've probably done your research, but I'd pass on a Tacoma if you will be towing a track car with any regularity. Though Oklahoma is pretty flat (just drove there for work) so that helps. But the Tacoma is just a bit too small for that type of work, IMO. I'll still tow with mine, but if I was going to regularly haul around a race car I would use the V8 Tundra that's also in my driveway.
    Open trailer + Miata shouldn't be too bad. I'd have to really crunch budget numbers, but I suspect it would be 6-10 weekends per year depending on budget.

I have no desire to drive a full-size on a daily basis, as any tow/off-road pig would become my DD.

Leave a comment:

• MR E30 325is
    replied

If I can be any motivation for avoiding that, I've gone from being able to do about 600km a tank to around 450km just by adding armor and 33" 10 ply tires.

These trucks come horribly geared stock and changing tire size only worsens that. Contemplating 35's now because I like to complain every time I drive.
    Definitely motivating. Haha.

A lift and tires are incredibly desirable, but I'm going to fit a 10k winch in the bumper, and pick up a set of Kings to re-level the front to stock height after the added weight, and then leave it at that. The truck, as I've shared here, takes me all the places I want to go.

Leave a comment:

• MR E30 325is
    replied
    Originally posted by z31maniac View Post

No. Joke.

I still regret selling the BRZ........I should have just removed the Ground Control setup for something less track oriented so it wouldn't be such a pain to daily.

I'm trying to figure out how I can finagle getting a truck like this (satisfy the ladies desire for off-roading and camping, but also potentially tow a track car.
    Precisely. I can't describe the feeling of joy associated with just getting in this thing, firing it up, and going anywhere, with no worries whatsoever. That is so addicting to me. Reliability. Ah.

You've probably done your research, but I'd pass on a Tacoma if you will be towing a track car with any regularity. Though Oklahoma is pretty flat (just drove there for work) so that helps. But the Tacoma is just a bit too small for that type of work, IMO. I'll still tow with mine, but if I was going to regularly haul around a race car I would use the V8 Tundra that's also in my driveway.

Leave a comment:

• cale
    replied

Most definitely.

Attempting to avoid doing what I have done to every car I have owned prior to this one: Mod the shit out of it and make it a pain in the ass to deal with on the daily.

The struggle is real.
    If I can be any motivation for avoiding that, I've gone from being able to do about 600km a tank to around 450km just by adding armor and 33" 10 ply tires.

These trucks come horribly geared stock and changing tire size only worsens that. Contemplating 35's now because I like to complain every time I drive.

Leave a comment:

• z31maniac
    replied

Most definitely.

Attempting to avoid doing what I have done to every car I have owned prior to this one: Mod the shit out of it and make it a pain in the ass to deal with on the daily.

The struggle is real.
    No. Joke.

I still regret selling the BRZ........I should have just removed the Ground Control setup for something less track oriented so it wouldn't be such a pain to daily.

I'm trying to figure out how I can finagle getting a truck like this (satisfy the ladies desire for off-roading and camping, but also potentially tow a track car.

Leave a comment:

• MR E30 325is
    replied
    Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
    Mike you need better tires ;)
    Most definitely.

The struggle is real.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X