Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• amyacker
    replied
    My 05 highlander has been nothing but reliable. No major repairs. Car handles well in the snow as well.

Leave a comment:

• cale
    replied
    Get a 14 or 15, won't have rust issues on the frames and more kinks worked out being later model year. Definitely get a v6, which won't be a problem if you're shopping for the higher trim models. Ever hear someone with a 4x4 say "I wish I had gotten the 2wd model"? Not often, but you sure do hear it from people who found an excuse NOT to buy the 4x4. If anything simply buy it to have a more desirable truck when it comes times to sell it.

I would probably let the availability of an ideal truck dictate which trim I went with rather than searching for a particular one if there's nothing you "need" to have. Find one for the right price with low mileage and history behind it and don't overthink it.

Leave a comment:

• spike68
    replied
    Originally posted by mbonder View Post
    I need opinions:

I'm working through the idea of starting my own home inspection business that will hopefully eventually evolve into property management, contracting, and investment. I just moved and sold off all of my vehicles except for my wife's e46, which obviously isn't a construction type vehicle. I don't really need to haul a lot to do home inspections, but having the space for step ladders and small extension ladders as well as tools and a drone is what I'm looking for so heavily leaning toward a Tacoma. Living in an apartment currently, but in a year or two I'll look to buy a house and it will more than likely need some renovations so I'll use the truck for heavier materials at some point.

Thinking Second Gen (2005-2015) here as my budget isn't enough for a new truck. I've done a little research but I'm curious to see which model years you guys think are the best within this range, what to look for and what to stay away from. My hope is to be under $25k, which probably rules out the last couple model years, but from what I'm seeing in my area I should be able to get into a 2013 for around that price, but is that the best year to get compared to any of the others. I know part of the way through they did a huge update and I'd imagine the updated models are better, but I'm not against an older truck if it's going to be more reliable as I need this thing to go forever on routine maintenance.

Offroading would be cool, but there's not a whole lot of that where I am and there isn't too much snow in the winter, so not sure if I should worry about 4wd or if the prerunner will be sufficient. I'm not all that well versed on SR5, Prerunner, TRD, Sport, whatever packages, it seems Toyota has about a dozen possibilities to make it annoying.

Also not sure on 4 vs. 6 cylinders, my inclination would be to go v6 because this is America, but I'm willing to hear arguments for the 2.7l as well.

So what say all of you?
    With your budget I think you could get yourself into a well sorted Taco.

2nd gen Taco would be a great start. Lots of people use them for construction plus with the way they hold their value it'll probably benefit you once your business grows and you upgrade to something nicer if thats what you want. l'll admit they're limited in comparison to the typical trucks that are used in the construction market, but this is all based on YOUR needs.

If you don't think you'll need a bunch of towing capacity then the Taco is the way to go. If you're certain that you dont think you'll be taking on any more weight other than some ladders then the Taco is probably the way to go as well with some kind of ladder rack.

The other parts you mentioned are offroading, drivetrain, and engine:

- Offroading upgrades - This would be complimentary to your inspection business as you may be entering neighborhoods or properties currently under construction. Not saying that the terrain would be rough enough to require upgraded wheels, tires, and suspension since there are requirements for access on any construction sites, but it would certainly help nonetheless.

- Drivetrain - Idk where you live, but get the 4WD. If you're considering off roading you'll be kicking yourself in the ass the moments you need it.

- Engine - Get the V6. the 4-banger might struggle if you get bigger wheels and tires along with having a few ladders on your rig.

Leave a comment:

• mbonder
    replied
    I need opinions:

I'm working through the idea of starting my own home inspection business that will hopefully eventually evolve into property management, contracting, and investment. I just moved and sold off all of my vehicles except for my wife's e46, which obviously isn't a construction type vehicle. I don't really need to haul a lot to do home inspections, but having the space for step ladders and small extension ladders as well as tools and a drone is what I'm looking for so heavily leaning toward a Tacoma. Living in an apartment currently, but in a year or two I'll look to buy a house and it will more than likely need some renovations so I'll use the truck for heavier materials at some point.

Thinking Second Gen (2005-2015) here as my budget isn't enough for a new truck. I've done a little research but I'm curious to see which model years you guys think are the best within this range, what to look for and what to stay away from. My hope is to be under $25k, which probably rules out the last couple model years, but from what I'm seeing in my area I should be able to get into a 2013 for around that price, but is that the best year to get compared to any of the others. I know part of the way through they did a huge update and I'd imagine the updated models are better, but I'm not against an older truck if it's going to be more reliable as I need this thing to go forever on routine maintenance.

Offroading would be cool, but there's not a whole lot of that where I am and there isn't too much snow in the winter, so not sure if I should worry about 4wd or if the prerunner will be sufficient. I'm not all that well versed on SR5, Prerunner, TRD, Sport, whatever packages, it seems Toyota has about a dozen possibilities to make it annoying.

Also not sure on 4 vs. 6 cylinders, my inclination would be to go v6 because this is America, but I'm willing to hear arguments for the 2.7l as well.

So what say all of you?

Leave a comment:

• lambo
    replied
    Originally posted by z31maniac View Post

Oh I know. And if you went "mudding" or anything else it wouldn't work.

But I've ridden with friends in bone stock Jeeps and stock tires and it's pretty amazing what they will crawl up without needing 10k+ in mods.

For what the VAST majority do, bone stock 4Runner/Wrangler/etc will do just fine.
    I agree but Will and I aren't the vast majority so I'm gonna continue making fun of his street tires. There's more to off-road tires than just BIG TREAD BRO. Sidewalls are thicker to resist punctures etc etc.

Leave a comment:

• z31maniac
    replied
    Originally posted by cale View Post
    I drove that trail, you couldn't slip off anything if you tried. Not really a fair representation of "off roading" but funny nonetheless.
    Oh I know. And if you went "mudding" or anything else it wouldn't work.

But I've ridden with friends in bone stock Jeeps and stock tires and it's pretty amazing what they will crawl up without needing 10k+ in mods.

For what the VAST majority do, bone stock 4Runner/Wrangler/etc will do just fine.

Leave a comment:

• cale
    replied
    I drove that trail, you couldn't slip off anything if you tried. Not really a fair representation of "off roading" but funny nonetheless.

Leave a comment:

• z31maniac
    replied
    Originally posted by lambo View Post
    nice street tires
    Definitely need a lifted, 35" tire monster to tackle off-road stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFwPXEeJ3aI

Leave a comment:

• spike68
    replied
    IMG_9911 by Anthony Gomez, on Flickr

IMG_9984 by Anthony Gomez, on Flickr

Leave a comment:

• lambo
    replied

DSC00037 by Phillip Keefe, on Flickr

DSC00003 by Phillip Keefe, on Flickr

Leave a comment:

• Wschnitz
    replied
    Ill have you know those are DYNAPRO OWL ALL TERRAINS

Leave a comment:

• lambo
    replied
    nice street tires

Leave a comment:

• Wschnitz
    replied
    Got the rack back from powdercoating on my yota

20190823-_SRC4089 by William Snitselaar, on Flickr

Leave a comment:

• spike68
    replied
    Originally posted by lambo View Post

He's actually joining us in Moab on that Friday lol I think I forgot to tell you
    Seems accurate lol.

but Dale yeah brother!

Leave a comment:

• lambo
    replied
    Originally posted by spike68 View Post
    What weekend are you going? Phil and I have plans to be in Moab the weekend of the 21st.
    He's actually joining us in Moab on that Friday lol I think I forgot to tell you

Leave a comment:

Working...
X