Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With that sig picture, all is forgiven.
    Originally posted by Matt-B
    hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Other real solutions:

What about forcing users to have their first post in a specific area? If a real person gets the error it will direct them to the new "intro thread". A welcome thread of sorts, all other categories/forums are invisible until that post is made.

That way if the robot never posts in said thread, they simply won't be able to post. Maybe have an auto-sender remind them to post in said intro thread, otherwise their account will be automatically purged after 90 days.

Also make it so a user under X amount of posts can't post URL's, period.

Some of these may require plugins but are real ways to make this vBulletin board more secure. A combination of these plus what I've mentioned in my other post would probably solve the spam until they become even more sentient. By then, we as humans are already fucked.
      Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
        With that sig picture, all is forgiven.
        Thanks, glad you like it!

This one got me :(
        Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Originally posted by DEV0 E30 View Post
          Also make it so a user under X amount of posts can't post URL's, period.
          I feel like this would solve A LOT of problems
          My Garage
          2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
          1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
          1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
          Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

This could potentially be a disgruntled OG, tired of answering "will these wheels fit my E30 if it's bagged" questions.

Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
              This one got me :(
              me too!:hitler:
              Simon
              Current Cars:
              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

----------------------------------------------
                New User Registration:

- A better spam "firewall" plugin or registration process for vBulletin

- New "Human Questions" - that can be easily googled. Multiple questions with only one or a few answers.

Ex A. The United States is on what continent?

Ex B. What E30 do you have? (318, 320, 324, 325, M3, None - are acceptable answers, don't need specifics, just need to make sure you aren't a robot)

- Visual Questions, like what Google does now to authenticate a human.

Ex A. "What picture contains a lake / water?" "What picture contains a cat?" etc

These along would take care of most of the spam.

New User Rules:

- A new user under X amount of posts can't post URL's, period.

- A new user can only see one specific "welcome" section with 0 posts.

- An auto-message gets sent to them saying "please post in welcome section first"

- A new user can not post anywhere but one section if they have 0 posts.

- After they post in this section, a welcome thread, they can view other sections.

- If after 30 days, they haven't posted, urge them to post in that thread using auto-message. After 90 days, purge account. 1 Post is fine for lurkers, but 0 posts = possible spam.

These may create a more welcoming and tighter community with other rules/extras/welcoming messages for new users.

Comment

As far as I know, a lot of these spammers are actual people, so those new registration filters wouldn't work.

Your new user rules would likely work though. It was set up that way on another forum I was on and it seemed to work well. Except the new members section was loaded with spam.

Also, although the way E30tech implemented it was terrible, the idea of new users having to be moderator approved is a good one IMO. Just so long as it isn't just the admin who can do it, and he isn't MIA, and actually gives a shit about his forum.

What ever happened to the VB upgrade that James was working on?

Comment

You guys are trying to ruin this thread

Comment

Farbin for mod

Let's institute a $30 initiation fee.

Naaaah

Originally posted by whysimon
                      WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
                        As far as I know, a lot of these spammers are actual people, so those new registration filters wouldn't work.

Your new user rules would likely work though. It was set up that way on another forum I was on and it seemed to work well. Except the new members section was loaded with spam.

Also, although the way E30tech implemented it was terrible, the idea of new users having to be moderator approved is a good one IMO. Just so long as it isn't just the admin who can do it, and he isn't MIA, and actually gives a shit about his forum.

What ever happened to the VB upgrade that James was working on?
                        hmmmm .... i think only a few of those extra steps would eliminate 80%+

i don't know much about IT, but i understand there are programs that spit this shit out. even if it is a person, most of them will give up and look for easier pickings.
                        sigpic
                        Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                        92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                        88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                        88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                        87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                        12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

" Rebel Alliance Decal Large"

Dammit, got me! I kinda wanted one... :(
                          1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                          2016 Ford Flex
                          2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

"Disappointment Makes Life Phase Worst"

So introspective for a spammer.

Comment

My vote goes to "Salvage title, seriously wtf"
                              Originally posted by kronus
                              would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post
                                My vote goes to "Salvage title, seriously wtf"
                                +1

Dude needs to be banned. He's been on less than a year and already starting sh*t.
                                1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                                2016 Ford Flex
                                2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Working...
                                X