Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chilezen
    replied
    Damn guys. I've barely worked on my latest table, but I still have a few of those prior tables to post about.

I've got a pretty cool idea specifically for a 4 cyl. One day, one day... My advice is to orient things diagonally. Straight up and down is just so boring.

Leave a comment:

• DEV0 E30
    replied
    Yearly bump.

So... maybe I shouldn't get rid of the M40 for basically nothing...

I've always liked the idea of this.

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Bump...

I think I want to finally do this.

My plans for the 'junk' inline6 crank fell through, but I think its finally time for this to happen...

Leave a comment:

• Chilezen
    replied
    I have a new instagram account specific for engine table builds! Check it out, @kineticrennsport :)

Leave a comment:

• Chilezen
    replied
    Also, a friend of my boss asked my boss to build him a table... and my boss accepted the work by passing it on to me. The guy had an exact idea of what he wanted, and supplied the glass, pistons, crank, and fly. I just built the framework.

Strange idea, but original. It's not completely done yet but you get the gist of it.

Leave a comment:

• Chilezen
    replied
    Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
    really awesome man!
    Thank you! It's not quite done yet though! I added more lights. Will post updates soon.

Originally posted by CMBusch View Post
    That's awesome! I really like how thorough you are with this. I have a broken S52 cam and a few other parts that I've been meaning to make a lamp out of.
    Thanks! If you've got a welder and imagination, you sure can make something cool :)

Originally posted by Chilezen View Post
    The Top Gear coffee table (shown during the news) is a V12, no idea from what car.
    Originally posted by CMBusch View Post
    IIRC it came from a Jaguar XJS.
    Originally posted by stonea View Post
    Cool project, I would love a M70 coffee table!
    Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
    i saw a ferrari testarossa engine made into a coffee table once. i thought it also seemed like a waste.
    Well gents, I have some news. Not a Jag, but...

Leave a comment:

• CMBusch
    replied
    That's awesome! I really like how thorough you are with this. I have a broken S52 cam and a few other parts that I've been meaning to make a lamp out of.

Originally posted by Chilezen View Post
    The Top Gear coffee table (shown during the news) is a V12, no idea from what car.
    IIRC it came from a Jaguar XJS.

Leave a comment:

• flyboyx
    replied
    really awesome man!

Leave a comment:

• Chilezen
    replied
    Finally, a video!

Good news: everything fits it my car!

...except for the sheet of glass. While tempting to strap it to my roof rack... I borrowed my mother's van instead, and hauled the parts over...

...to a parking structure to create a video...

Assembling an Engine Coffee Table - Watch Now on YouTube

Seriously! You can finally see how this table comes together!!!

Leave a comment:

• Chilezen
    replied
    For the final aesthetic, I want to hide some of the ugliness at the bottom. The triangles are open, you see, and perhaps they shouldn't be.

Aluminum sheet was available and ideal for this task. I drew out patterns, transferred, and cut them to size.

At first, I chose to put them on the outside of the bars, thinking that a clean, flat side would look nice.

This was also the easier option, because on the inside, the piece of angle iron intersects/dips into that area. It's hard to show and explain, but it required some minor cutting/notching for a seamless fit.

But come on. It looks weird, right?

So I notched the plates and stuck them on the inside of the bars.

You can see those unsightly notches on the right side there. But the good news is, when you're standing, those will be out of view!

If I had pushed the plates towards the middle of the bar, I would risk exposing gaps from imperfect cuts. So by keeping the pate recessed, I can push the plate against the bar and hide gaps. Plus, this gives the bar (literally) more depth. Objectively, it looks better this way.

Can't change it now because it's taped and super-glued in place. Bahahaha

Also, if you're curious what that dark spot is, towards the top-middle/rear, that is where the wires of the motor interfered with the bar. The motor needed that extra space to fit, so I had to chop off some of the bar to allow space for it.

Leave a comment:

• Chilezen
    replied
    Time for paint!

The gear set housing of the motor can be seen in the back, so a coat of paint should disguise it (hopefully).

It's a Rustoleum Hammered paint. I had to learn how to apply it to get the effect. Some areas look better than others.

Last edited by Chilezen; 03-09-2019, 12:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Chilezen
    replied
    Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
    well that will work and is much more "elaborate" than I had envisioned but will do the job
    Thank you. I love to complicate things. :crazy:

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
    Those are some kick ass tables.
    Thanks!

---

This is a small detail, but had an embarrassing consequence. Despite my best efforts to measure and locate this U-bar to hold the glass and not interfere with anything,

I had to smash this spot on the bar, because the chain rubbed against it. Originally when I test-fitted it, I didn't put the chain on the gear, so the fitment was fine without the chain. Oops!

It's hard to see the dent, but it's better now.

Leave a comment:

• ThatOneEuroE30
    replied
    Those are some kick ass tables.

Leave a comment:

• Chilezen
    replied
    The next step, now that the pistons are "one piece," is to connect this U-bar to somewhere on the head. Somewhere here:

There are two threaded holes I like. They used to be for the valve cover. Now they're for the U-bar. I set up everything I needed to in order to located the ideal position and angle, and then I made tabs.

The tabs were drilled out (oversized to allow for some adjustment) and welded to the U-bar. I could have, and should have, done a better job welding, but whatever, it's going to be hidden for the most part anyway.

AND THIS IS HOW IT TURNED OUT!

Exactly as I planned. Sort of. I guess. It does the job!

Leave a comment:

• mrsleeve
    replied
    well that will work and is much more "elaborate" than I had envisioned but will do the job

Leave a comment:

Working...
X