The Datsun Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The old roadsters are awesome!

My wife drove a '72 Datsun 1200 coupe (B110) for around 10 years - the brakes were unassisted and never quite worked properly on it the whole time she had it. In the end we fitted a Stanza booster and master cylinder, but it still didn't fully sort it.

At 730kg, even with only 69hp it was still a hoot to drive and used to achieve around 41mpg. It got to the point where we either had to do a full restoration on it, or sell it so the latter won out. The front panels were easy to get though due to the popularity of the 1200 utes - you could still buy them new.

\
    My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

There was a roadster gathering in my driveway yesterday. Simon's car is in the garage, my car on the left, and a guy named Jerry from Pinole brought his car up when he donated a radiator and shift lever to Simon's cause.

Will
      '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
      '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
      '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
      '88 BMW M3

Comment

Very cool....

https://petrolicious.com/articles/th...tories-to-tell
        1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

I prefer this one...

Last edited by 2mAn; 07-26-2019, 08:34 AM. Reason: fixing the youtube link
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28 View Post
            There isn't much Datsun roadster left in that car. The body is good for a rebody, the rest, well, is all hacked up. Its a 240SX/S14 with an identity crisis, and a mazda RX7 rear end. The guy who owns it cant turn a wrench to save his life. I should also add, it doesn't make any more hp than my car does, and that is even on the exact same dyno. I was bet by the guy who did the testing on both cars that my car couldn't make what a stock SR20 powered one can, and if it did, the dyno session was on him. First pull, I beat that number, then found an additional 30 hp with carb tuning. Needless to say I paid nothing for that session. (Holy crap, that was 11 years ago!)

Will
            '88 BMW M3

Comment

crossposting from 311s.org

some Datsuns at SEMA
              Attached Files
              Last edited by 2mAn; 11-17-2017, 10:01 AM.
              Simon
              Current Cars:

Comment

Decades ago, a new Japanese automobile company asked a veteran German auto maker to suggest a name for its new car.

"We need a name no later than tomorrow," said the Japanese official.

Very surprised, the German replied, "Dat soon?!?"

Comment

Comment

From the look of those SEMA pics the SR20 (in both turbo and DE forms) is still the weapon of choice with the Nissan crowd. Interesting that even the Zs have SR20s fitted, when RB engines fit in there no problem.
                    My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                      crossposting from 311s.org

some Datsuns at SEMA
                      Congratulations on posting a bunch of pics with zero 510s or Zs in them. :( Every one of those cars has lost the very thing that makes them what they were. They are now a undefined something else. Seeing this sort of garbage is the very reason I have no interest in going to SEMA. I'm not faulting the build quality, I'm simply faulting the choice of removing what makes a 510 or Z what it is. (Sometimes the build quality is iffy but just looks nice on the outside.)

Will
                      Last edited by 2mAn; 11-17-2017, 10:02 AM. Reason: deleting the giant pics
                      '88 BMW M3

Comment

Can we do something about these ginormous images?

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
                          Can we do something about these ginormous images?
                          They werent that big from where I copied them from. I will try and do something about it
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post
                            Congratulations on posting a bunch of pics with zero 510s or Zs in them. :( Every one of those cars has lost the very thing that makes them what they were. They are now a undefined something else. Seeing this sort of garbage is the very reason I have no interest in going to SEMA. I'm not faulting the build quality, I'm simply faulting the choice of removing what makes a 510 or Z what it is. (Sometimes the build quality is iffy but just looks nice on the outside.)

Will
                            SEMA is very trendy, as you can tell what the current trend is with the fender flares.

If you ignore whats under the hood (which oddly enough is basically the same motor), then you should be able to appreciate the rest of the work
                            Simon
                            Current Cars:

Comment

Datsun friends, I need some help! I'm looking for a few panels for my Z to help get it rebuilt and ready to rock next season. I'm looking for:

Unvented hood
                              LF fender
                              LH door
                              LR quarter panel
                              Rear valance, under the lights

I'm pumped to change it from the top car to the bottom one, so any leads would be appreciated!

Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

I'm curious what's wrong with the pieces on the car? They look good from here.

The valence panel is available from MSA, however, be aware that the replacement panel is curved in one direction (top to bottom) whereas the original piece is curved in two directions, so it needs some work to fit.

Comment

Working...
                                X