Photobucket demanding $399 to link to third party sites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by varg View Post
    Take your business elsewhere. Photobucket has been shit for years. By my best estimate I haven't used photobucket in 10 years.
    how long have you used it by your worst estimate?

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

80 years
      WTB:m60b40 in PNW
      Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
      92 525it 5 speed.
      80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

I signed on when it first came out.
        my adblocker still works on it and my pictures can be hotlinked. ??

Comment

Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
          I signed on when it first came out.
          my adblocker still works on it and my pictures can be hotlinked. ??
          It'll come. Not everyone has been hit yet.
          Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

So you guys think photobuckets is going under like yahoo or something and this is like a last ditch effort to save it?

Comment

all mine still work, and i dont see where they are asking for 399$

to be safe i downloaded all my pics tho

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
                So you guys think photobuckets is going under like yahoo or something and this is like a last ditch effort to save it?
                They must be, I'd imagine they tried first just blowing up site with ads, and that just wasn't enough. Either greedy, failing, or new ownership I bet
                WTB:m60b40 in PNW
                Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
                92 525it 5 speed.
                80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

So frustrating. I've been using PB out of convenience for all my different builds on different forums over the years.

I have a Flickr page with a few photos but rejected them when they deleted everyone's logins and forced you to connect a Yahoo account or some bullshit. What is this 1997? I don't have or want a Yahoo account. I don't have any reason to connect an email account to a photo site. -_-
                  Last edited by IronJoe; 07-02-2017, 07:15 AM.
                  '89 Schwarz E30 M3 Cabriolet Build

Comment

The weird thing about this is how laughable the service is when you look at it based on their new $39.99/month price; one could easily get their own website and host their photos there for less than that. I don't know how they expect this 'business' move to go but I suspect it will make photobucket a thing of the past that you bump into once in a long while.

Originally posted by matt-b View Post
                    how long have you used it by your worst estimate?
                    9±2²³ years
                    Last edited by varg; 07-02-2017, 04:46 AM.

IG @turbovarg
                    '91 318is, M20 turbo
                    [CoTM: 4-18]
                    '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                    - updated 3-17

Comment

So you guys that have been hit, are you able to download your photos?

I just backed up everything to my phone just in case, but curious if they are literally holding photos for ransom.

This is the death of Photobucket for sure. I won't be uploading anything else to the website, switched to flikr (which I didn't realize I already had an account with, and a few photos on.)

Waiting for them to hit my account, and then it will be middle finger time and a deleto.
                      No E30 Club
                      Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                      Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

My account was hit with it, but I was still able to download everything.

To reiterate - the pix aren't gone, they are just blocking 3rd party hosting, so if you click the link to the pic or can get to the users actual PB albums, you can still see the pix. It's a fustercluck for sure.

I too thought maybe something had changed with them or their parent company - but it looks like they are still owned by the same group that they have been for a while now. Maybe they are getting ready to sell or there is a buyout happening. Who knows - does seem like a giant cash grab to make the company look really profitable for a couple quarters or maybe even a fiscal year - but it can't be a long term plan...
                        1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                        2016 Ford Flex
                        2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

ADAMS Autosport

Comment

I got my photos, but my videos are 100% being held for ransom. They've been replaced with a short video version of the picture you see in my sig. I have everything backed up so I'm not personally affected, but that's screwed up.
                            Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
                              I got my photos, but my videos are 100% being held for ransom. They've been replaced with a short video version of the picture you see in my sig.
                              All I see is the the default PB image:

I'm already tired of seeing that image, so anyone with a signature displaying it may have it edited sooner than later.
                              Originally posted by kronus
                              would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

That was my point. That's what all my videos have been replaced with on my account. Either that or it says I moved/deleted them.

I'll be redoing my sig as soon as I can, feel free to remove it in the meantime. Not enough free time at the moment unfortunately.

Comment

Working...
                                X