Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help finding curvy roads near you?

http://roadcurvature.com/

Just recently found this site that provides an overlay on google earth which highlights curvy roads in any given region. I just picked up an E36 here in Germany and have been looking for good roads to test it out. After searching the interwebz i found the roadcurvature site. It works so well. Very impressed with the software. Once you have google earth you just download the c_1000 file for your area and open it with google earth. Works like a charm and i found some killer roads around Freiburg. Its not perfect...sometimes it will highlight a road in bright pink (which means extremely curvy) but it will just be a nearly straight road that google maps has given incorrect data points for. But this is easy enough to get around simply by zooming in on the road in question and disregarding it if its bunk.

Here’s a look at the roads near me.

Just went up to Schauinsland and back. Epic drive with a fantastic view of the surrounding area while you climb the mountain. Now im searching for other roads and have quite a few in mind.

Anyways, hope this helps some of you guys looking for good roads to cruise. ;)
    Last edited by MPLFoster; 10-22-2017, 10:28 PM.

form.follows.function IG @mplfoster

that is sweet! thanks for sharing.
    sigpic
    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Good stuff, thanks!
      Originally posted by kronus
      would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Wow, awesome! I wish I could use it, I'm almost positive I'd get pulled over :(
        Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
          that is sweet! thanks for sharing.
          Originally posted by agent View Post
          Good stuff, thanks!
          No problem gents.

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
          Wow, awesome! I wish I could use it, I'm almost positive I'd get pulled over :(
          Why can’t you use it? Just find a road with very little traffic and get a radar detector. :up:

Comment

I wish there were curvy roads near me. I'm happy to find any road around here that has even one curve in it. Most of them are just straight. Gotta drive an hour or so or more into PA for some curves.

Comment

Originally posted by MPLFoster View Post
              No problem gents.

Why can’t you use it? Just find a road with very little traffic and get a radar detector. :up:
              I have profoundly bad luck with that stuff, and generally don't drive quickly on the street anyway. The only exception I can think of is when they took Dad to the hospital after his accident... That was extended 80+ in a 30.
              Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Comment

I just opened this up to see if I was missing anything. All the curvy roads in my area are planned developments. FML.

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
                  I just opened this up to see if I was missing anything. All the curvy roads in my area are planned developments. FML.
                  So closed to the public then? :nice: ;D

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
                    So closed to the public then? :nice: ;D
                    Lol. I don't know if the residents would be on board with that. They're mostly pretty short anyway.

Comment

Hey i had an idea...for those of us using this program, why dont we post up pics of some of the sweet roads we find? And maybe a quick review of what it was like to drive...Would be cool to see what other people have for curvy roads. And also would be a nice resource for those just looking for a quick tip on a decent road near them.

Comment

Cool little find. Although unfortunately it looks like I already know all of the decent curvy roads in my area.
                        My Garage
                        2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                        1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                        1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                        Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

very killer site... thanks for posting the link!!
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          '90 325i sedan daily driven
                          '85 325e coupe also a daily

Comment

Originally posted by stonea View Post
                            Cool little find. Although unfortunately it looks like I already know all of the decent curvy roads in my area.
                            Time to search for a new one and plan a sort road trip, eh? Let us know what you find!

Originally posted by cheffy30 View Post
                            very killer site... thanks for posting the link!!
                            My pleasure! Im glad people are finding it useful.

Has anyone found an epic road yet?

Comment

I have used this one as well.
                              Twisty Road Finder has over 250,000 of the best motorcycle roads around the world. Find, share, and rate twisty roads.

Some are plotted by other users. Also, be weary. Some of the local roads to me have turned out to be gravel.
                              20% Accurate

Morty: Well Summer maybe people that create things aren’t concerned with your delicate sensibilities you know? Maybe the species that communicate with each other through a filter of your comfort are less evolved that the ones that just communicate? Maybe your problems are your own to deal with and maybe the public giving a shit about your feelings is a one way ticket to extinction.

Comment

Working...
                              X