Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

R3v talk me out of/into getting a 4.4l E53 X5.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get a range rover and I'm not even joking
    Instagram : makeitsnap

1985 e28 520i

Comment

Speaking of v8s, i had no idea the x5 got such horrible mileage... my crew cab sierra does better @ 16-17 hwy LMAO! That's just plain sad.

Toyota 5.7 is a choice v8 option no doubt. If you dont go toyota for reliability, next best option is any Chevy v8 being the way to go IMO, its more compact than any bmw v8 option, has better economy while delivering higher power output, and is a lighter mill, and parts are absurdly cheap, and they are as easy to work on as any v8 comes these days. Plus if something goes critical on you and the motor bricks, the only thing cheaper than a replacement chevy v8 is a Nissan v8.

Not many things better than a BMW wagon with a chevy v8 swap; bmw v8's make for really good coffee tables. :flamesuit: :firehop:

that all said, instead of going bmw x5 when i needed a bigger family car than the e34 wagon, we went to an ecoboost ford flex for the wife... 19mpg while i am mashing the 365/350 hp/tq go pedal for the kids between stoplights. its more fun this side of any bmw "SAV" option short of an x5m that costs over double the price. value is relative, personally the bmw suv value argument falls flat for me once you remove the bmw-everything-tinted-glasses and expand your horizons, actually drive a few more things "outside the family".

if you want a bmw family mover with a bmw power plant, just get a turbo inline 6, theres plenty of options, but it's all gonna be pay to play, no free lunches here. You buy cheap your gonna be paying on maintenance and repairs practically no matter what the vehicle make or model is. Sometimes people get lucky though. If you want a car that sounds like a tin can when you climb in, go fetch yourself a subie. my folks 2004 forester is nearing 250k and it's probably been one of the most reliable cars they ever owned, well,... outside of the volvo red blocks. those were immortal motors.
      Last edited by LEANE30; 03-31-2018, 09:58 PM.
      ...what hasn’t been done to an m20 yet?

m20 Oil Stencil

Comment

Tough call.
        BEERTECH

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
          Tough call.

Ruh-Roh!

I’m actually about to pull the trigger on this e91 0.0 at least it’ll keep me in the bimmer family

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

E91s are awesome! I can't stand the automatics, and find the 6mt super easy to drive anyway, but everyone seems to think a car that weighs more, puts down less power, gets worse fuel economy, has no throttle response and takes forever to shift is "faster". :p

6mt is harder to find though and you'll likely pay a premium. We sold ours for basically what we paid for it after driving it for 3 years / 30,000 miles.

if you get a 325 we can at least tune the transmission, but either way you'll probably want a 3 stage manifold.
            Last edited by nando; 04-06-2018, 07:23 AM.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
              E91s are awesome! I can't stand the automatics, and find the 6mt super easy to drive anyway, but everyone seems to think a car that weighs more, puts down less power, gets worse fuel economy, has no throttle response and takes forever to shift is "faster". :p

6mt is harder to find though and you'll likely pay a premium. We sold ours for basically what we paid for it after driving it for 3 years / 30,000 miles.

if you get a 325 we can at least tune the transmission, but either way you'll probably want a 3 stage manifold.
              I'm discovering all the modern BMW owners, for the most part, are "roll racing" flat billed hat wearing bros.
              Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
              Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
              One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Yeah - nobody cares about anything but power numbers and straight line speed. I'd google a meme about living your life 1/4 mile at a time, but they nerfed that ability. :(
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Lol this e91 will be stock just for cruising daily driving and hauling kids/dogs/grocery’s.

It’s a 325xi so it will see a little bit of snow but it needs some work before then.
                  Transfer case is busted but I’m prepared to drop about 3kish on the repair. Still works just fine in RWD mode.

The car has 86,000 miles, clean title, California car it’s whole life. Clean carfax, failed smog in 2012 at 32,000 miles but passed 20 days later and has passed ever since (I’m guessing maybe CEL was on.) The dude is asking $4500 but I already got him down some.
                  I’m taking a look at her for the first time this Sunday.

Comment

Looks nice. Is it a reflection or is the passenger door a different color? Looks darker.

What year is it?

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Originally posted by parkerbink View Post
                      Looks nice. Is it a reflection or is the passenger door a different color? Looks darker.

What year is it?

I thought so too, like the passenger fender and door look kinda darker. I can’t tell if it’s a reflection or not, I’ll ask the guy for more pics.

It’s an 06 built in March.

Comment

you can do a 3-stage manifold and 330i tune for about $150-$300 if you DIY the labor - I have "stock" 330i tune files up on Bimmerlabs.com that you can download and flash for free (you just need a cable and a windows PC). I don't know why you wouldn't, the N52 is perfect as it was meant to be, not intentionally nerf'd like the 325i and 328i. It's like a 45hp gain over the 325 with "stock" software, you get a lot more torque, and mileage doesn't suffer.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

you can do a 3-stage manifold and 330i tune for about $150-$300 if you DIY the labor - I have "stock" 330i tune files up on Bimmerlabs.com that you can download and flash for free (you just need a cable and a windows PC). I don't know why you wouldn't, the N52 is perfect as it was meant to be, not intentionally nerf'd like the 325i and 328i. It's like a 45hp gain over the 325 with "stock" software, you get a lot more torque, and mileage doesn't suffer.

Maybe I’d do that eventually, but this things gonna be grannied around, I drive automatics pretty slow.

Comment

Even so, the low end torque makes the car much more enjoyable in a DD situation. You don't have to wring it out to feel a difference. :)
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by Pantless Spency View Post
                              Lol this e91 will be stock just for cruising daily driving and hauling kids/dogs/grocery’s.

I like these - good choice. So much better than an suv. So, that's an N52 in there?

Comment

Yeah - nobody cares about anything but power numbers and straight line speed. I'd google a meme about living your life 1/4 mile at a time, but they nerfed that ability. :(
                                It's amazing to see the CONSTANT N54 vs N55 arguments.

N55 sucks because they don't make as power on the stock turbo as the N54 does on it stock twins, and on and on and on.
                                Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
                                Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
                                One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Working...
                                X