No announcement yet.

R3v halp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spend less on a ring, get a gym membership and eat less, and paint the E30 some other time it's not going to make less difference.

IG @turbovarg
    '91 318is, M20 turbo
    [CoTM: 4-18]
    '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
    - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
      Spend less on a ring, get a gym membership and eat less, and paint the E30 some other time it's not going to make less difference.
      I know I won't spend less than $2k on a ring, that's non-negotiable really. She might not care, but I would..

I have a gym membership, likely going to cancel it because I don't go there anyway working 2 jobs. I'm more likely to get out of bed and go for a run, do some free weights, etc once she moves in and can help me with the 2nd job.

As it sits I'm not really out of shape, but I'm a solid 6'1 and 208lbs. I'd like to get back down to somewhere in the neighborhood of 190, which I'm sure I could do simply by fixing my diet. And that's not eating less, it's eating better. As it is I probably eat 2 meals a day, both crappy meals because I suck at cooking and get lazy.

The e30 paint is now at the bottom of the list for sure. I went to the range today at work and got to shoot my coworker's dialed in AR vs my POS squad AR. He's sitting there with his nice optic shooting the paper target gun out of a bad guy's hand at 110 yards while I'm happy just hitting the bad guy with that crappy red dot and flimsy handle/stock..
      2007 Range Rover Sport S/C

Comment

My Dad told me that the point of the ring was that your lady was supposed to be able to pawn it for 3 months rent if you turned out to be an asshole and she had to kick you out.
        If your lady is a keeper you want to make sure she's looked after in the case of your untimely demise (due bad gun) or turn out to be what some women would consider to be a asshole, i.e: a man who spends too much on cars.
        Therefore, buy the ring, assuming that she wants a ring. (She may not. Have you asked?)
        Lady is looked after if gun let's you down, and next time you want to spend money on car you can say "But, Dear, I bought that nice ring."
        QED
        Young people today, jeez. No logic.

Comment

Cats are the devil's pets. That is all.
          "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
          -----------------------------------------
          91 318is Turbo Sold
          87 325 Daily driver Sold
          06 4.8is X5
          06 Mtec X3
          05 4.4i X5 Sold
          92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
          90 325i Sold
          97 328is Sold
          01 323ci Sold
          92 325i Sold
          83 528e Totaled
          98 328i Sold
          93 325i Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Schnitzer318is View Post
            qft
            Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by SubDad View Post
              My Dad told me that the point of the ring was that your lady was supposed to be able to pawn it for 3 months rent if you turned out to be an asshole and she had to kick you out.
              If your lady is a keeper you want to make sure she's looked after in the case of your untimely demise (due bad gun) or turn out to be what some women would consider to be a asshole, i.e: a man who spends too much on cars.
              Therefore, buy the ring, assuming that she wants a ring. (She may not. Have you asked?)
              Lady is looked after if gun let's you down, and next time you want to spend money on car you can say "But, Dear, I bought that nice ring."
              QED
              Young people today, jeez. No logic.
              She'll be listed as the beneficiary on my life insurance policy through the PD, plus her salary is significantly better than mine = she wont need to pawn the ring lol

Interesting fact; I'm worth significantly more dead than alive according to my PD :rofl:

Truth. I've done nothing but listen to these assholes run around and knock over my stuff. Once we buy a house I'm getting my dog, and she can take full responsibility for the cats..

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan... View Post
                We've got 3 total cats right now, all of which she's responsible for... My first was a rescued barn cat that was nearly frozen to death (named Dude, he's a bitch), then Marvin the rescue so Dude had someone else to claw at and chase, and her cat Lucy that attacks people at random.. Last thing I need are more misbehaving cats :rofl:
                Nice! We have 3 dogs and a cat at the current house.

Right after we bought it, we went to Petco to get the 2 dogs she originally had (that's why I had to give up the downtown pad so I just bought a house instead) tags for the new address.

She saw the kitty there, turned and looked at me, so I just said, "OK, let's go get cat stuff too and bring him home as well."

We woke up the next morning with him up inside the chimney. It took 3 cans of wet food to get him out.

And now we have the 60lb pitt/lab mix we added to the mix. And she's a handful. But I'm glad the "big girl" is here since she now works from home fulltime.

Jokes aside, that's awesome you found "her." Fuck the car and a fancy tongue, "Lock that tongue down, girl."
                Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
                Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
                One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

hail satan
                  past:
                  1989 325is (learner shitbox)
                  1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                  1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                  1985 323i baur
                  current:
                  1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

HAHAHAHAH

I showed this thread to the gf and she is like “WTF WHY IS THIS EVEN A QUESTION”
                    past:
                    1989 325is (learner shitbox)
                    1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                    1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                    1985 323i baur
                    current:
                    1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
                      Buy a cheap ring and start saving that other money for a downpayment on a house.
                      With the home prices going up and up, get the house with or without the ring just for you. Also, anyone that asked, replys or listens to financial advice on r3v is a full on retard. :) Yes, I see the irony in that.
                      Originally posted by Matt-B
                      hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Nice! We have 3 dogs and a cat at the current house.

Right after we bought it, we went to Petco to get the 2 dogs she originally had (that's why I had to give up the downtown pad so I just bought a house instead) tags for the new address.

She saw the kitty there, turned and looked at me, so I just said, "OK, let's go get cat stuff too and bring him home as well."

We woke up the next morning with him up inside the chimney. It took 3 cans of wet food to get him out.

And now we have the 60lb pitt/lab mix we added to the mix. And she's a handful. But I'm glad the "big girl" is here since she now works from home fulltime.

Jokes aside, that's awesome you found "her." Fuck the car and a fancy tongue, "Lock that tongue down, girl."
                        I miss my pibble :(
                        Will definitely be getting one in the future!

Originally posted by decay View Post
                        HAHAHAHAH

I showed this thread to the gf and she is like “WTF WHY IS THIS EVEN A QUESTION”
                        Mostly just for jokes, and I got the advise RE jewelry I was hoping to get, so far it's been a win-win :D

This is most definitely *the one*, in all honesty this thread is half joke/half advice, I wouldn't let this degenerate group of children dictate my life in such a way :-)

Originally posted by george graves View Post
                        With the home prices going up and up, get the house with or without the ring just for you. Also, anyone that asked, replys or listens to financial advice on r3v is a full on retard. :) Yes, I see the irony in that.
                        There were a couple times we almost bought a house just off my salary, but after talking we decided to just wait and buy one we both want, not one we could afford on a cop's salary living in a shitty neighborhood in a shitty house, shitty school district etc..

Living for free here is going to let her take a massive chunk of school loan out, give us a chance to settle ourselves and get our lives in order, then figure out exactly what it is we want to do in regards to a house.

Comment

The ring my ex-wife got from a mall jewelry store chain ended up being much more durable than the one that one of the "specialty" stores of the first one. They replaced it 3 times because the stones kept falling out and finally gave us our money back + $150 for a dinner.
                          Was the setting metal and method similar... a lower karat count in the gold makes it much less malleable there by snagging a prong, or just not holding a complex stone well is less common in 10k gold vs 18 or 24k. Also prong design and layout vs height of setting and so on can can make some settings more prone to issues.

And buying stones as an "investment" is stupid anyway, unless you can somehow get below wholesale pricing.

Go buy that $10,000 ring and then see what you can get for it. If you could get 33% of retail you'd being do well.
                          Your not wrong.... stones are a reasonable investment if you can get them for the right prices, know what your looking at, and have a reliable way to liquidate them when needed. The genuine alexaderites my mother skimped and saved to buy in the late 70s are extremely valuable now, but they are the exception not the rule, and mom knew that then. When you are dealing with
                          Stones you have to know what your buying and know the circumstances of the markets. Like all the fad tanzanite it comes from a hand full of mostly interconnected mines in Tanzania that all flooded about 7 or 8 years ago, very few new stones are coming out of the ground so supply is shrinking and demand is still there as it is still popular. A true pigeon blood Burmese ruby is rare as most mines in Myanmar are mined out and since the name change few stones make it to the open market so what is out there is our there, and again supply and demand. A true flawless emerald is very rare, as natural emeralds have lots of inclusions are are graded on the amount and type of them.

Again your not wrong for most people it's not a good way to invest your money you have to have a lot of specific knowledge and even then it's not very cost effective for the casual person.

Hence my original post about moissanite, as it allows the same effect, and you put the bulk of your money into the metal weight which will hold its value... an oz. Of gold is worth going market value in ring, bracelet, coin, bar, or nugget based on purity.. same for silver, or platinum... So if your going to put 3k in the ring put the bulk of the money where the value will be recoverable if necessary the metal not the DeBeers rocks.

Lose it or have it stolen and have your insurance company replace it based on it's appraisal, specs, pictures. People get really pissed off when they find out insurance can replace their $6,000 ring for $3,500 through an even more high quality jeweler.
                          Again not wrong you can get better coverage for such things just like agreed value classic car coverage.
                          But your going to have to pay more for that coverage, andl like auto coverage wreck your new car, and total it you only going to get a little better than average pay off for it.

when the apocalypse comes, no one is going to trade you food, water, ammunition, etc, for a fancy ring.

In other words, spending real money on jewelry is just dumb.
                          Like we have talked about in the past, metals have intrinsic value, always will so yes you will be able to trade gold or silver settings for useful items... Back in the old days people put money into such things as a way to keep their wealth on them and be able to carry it easily if in the event they had to leave homes and flee..

While I do hold your general sentiment that it's not the best use of funds, it no different to those that enjoy it than it is to those of us that buy cars and pour 1000s in mods into them. Which seems dumb to those that like shiny sparkling bits and bobs

Rant over.

Ryan, get the ring it's your girl and your cash, do with it as you see fit..
                          Last edited by mrsleeve; 10-19-2018, 11:40 AM.
                          Originally posted by Fusion
                          If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                          The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                          William Pitt-

Comment

I'd say get the ring...

But then again, what do I know? I'm a 22 year old single college student who bought an E30 as a replacement money pit after a long-term relationship.
                            Originally posted by Melon
                            Engine work takes patience and finesse.

Suspension work takes anger, a big fucking hammer, and a torch.

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                              Ryan, get the ring it's your girl and your cash, do with it as you see fit..
                              Definitely going to get the ring, now begins the research phase..

Originally posted by CMBusch View Post
                              I'd say get the ring...

But then again, what do I know? I'm a 22 year old single college student who bought an E30 as a replacement money pit after a long-term relationship.
                              I also at one point purchased a BMW as a solution to a long term relationship ending... we are soul sisters.

Comment

I also at one point purchased a BMW as a solution to a long term relationship ending... we are soul sisters.
                                Cue that shitty Train song...

Buying a project car was both the best/worst decision I ever made, but I would do it all over again. Now I can't even justify the effort needed to maintain a relationship.

That black cat of yours is fantastic. I have a cat who looks perpetually alarmed and it's endlessly amusing. Congrats on finding someone who supports you and your interests!
                                Originally posted by Melon
                                Engine work takes patience and finesse.

Suspension work takes anger, a big fucking hammer, and a torch.

Comment

Working...
                                X