No announcement yet.

Careers Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got my CDL many many years ago, moved to the cannabis center of Northern California with a clean drug test and a CDL. Started delivering beer for a few years, then selling beer for a few years, now I'm inventory control and sales coordinator for a beverage distributor.

It's slowly sucking my soul out of my body, and I'm actively looking for a new job. I don't want to start driving again, but there's not much up here. Just a high school education and a lot of years of experience.

Comment

Great thread idea! It's cool to get a glimpse of what people do here, especially for the OG's and frequent posters of R3v.

My career started out back in 2004, at the age of 16, though I didn't know it at the time.

Started out as a draftsmen (using AutoCAD) for a machine shop in central Phoenix, then moved to an electrical engineering company in north Phoenix as a draftsmen (also using AutoCAD).

Did that for a number of years, served in the USMC, then obtained degrees in ME and Mathematics.

Graduated, found a job in town doing structural design, but worked for a terrible company. Big fan of working on my own, and I could do both parts of the job proficiently (drafting and engineering, which is rare).

So I found a financial partner (who constructs the things I engineer, who I met through previous terrible job) and became employee #1 at my engineering firm. I consider this my 'active' career, as I do it almost everyday.

Real estate investments (long-term buy and hold rentals) is my 'passive' career, as most of the time it takes little time/energy, but pays much better than the engineering gig.

Future involves firm expansion and the acquisition of more rentals. Will most likely pursue a M.Eng with an emphasis in SE in the next ~5 years.
      My previous build (currently E30-less)
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
        Real estate investments (long-term buy and hold rentals) is my 'passive' career, as most of the time it takes little time/energy, but pays much better than the engineering gig.

How did you start in RE investing? Did your first property cash flow or was there a ramp up?

Asking for a friend ;)

Ezekiel 25:17
        Current flame: E30 318iS Alpinweiss II slicktop / LSD - Joanne
        The old man: 1970 2002 Polaris(ish) slicktop / rat rod - Wallace
        The ex: E92 335i 6MT M-Sport - Betty
        The heavy: 2001 4Runner SR5 Sport (3rd Gen) - Fred

Comment

Originally posted by majdomo View Post
          How did you start in RE investing? Did your first property cash flow or was there a ramp up?

Asking for a friend ;)

^^^RT also asking for a friend...
          Steve • Toronto
          1991 318is • Brillantrot
          Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by majdomo View Post

Asking for a friend ;)

House hacked (live with roommates) on my first 3/2. Made $77 dollars a month, and lived for free. So it 'cash flowed' in a sense, but it came with a few sacrifices (living with others).

Repeat this same strategy again at the next house.

After that, it was easy. The machine propels itself (while maintaining discipline of course, i.e. no money comes out of the business for personal use, yet, while W2 income still readily flow in)

So yes, and no, kind of.

But I wont attempt to bullshit you. I am incredibly lucky, and happen to be around the right people, at the right time, all while having the ability to accept all of the responsibility that I can find.

Reasons why my results are not typical (in an effort to provide a realistic view of the situation):

- $415,000 in free loans, through the VA, since I am a USMC Veteran. That means my first two properties were purchased with zero down (minus some appraisal, termite inspection, etc. fees). This is huge, as the first couple are by far the hardest. And this lends itself to the next advantage.
            - Having no issue buying the worst condition properties on the market. No money down on the loan meant that I had money to repair all issues, even doing stud out remodels. It helps that I have been doing construction related tasks with my father since I was ~6 yrs old. This too is huge, as serious equity is created almost immediately. This point is also fortified by the next point.
            - Free stuff. A lot of free stuff. Like, seriously, a lot of free stuff. My current mentor is a retired GC, with tens and tens of thousands of dollars worth of tools. Beam saw? check. Hardiplank shears? check. Magnesium concrete float? check. The list goes on and on. And on. And on. And he is still connected with working GC's, which means free leftover materials from their builds. Oh, and he has probably performed over $50,000 in labor for hardly anything (a few vacations mostly). He is very selfless, and makes his own passive income from a lifetime of hard work. This point is HUGE. This means that these less than ideal properties I buy can be fixed up for a tiny, tiny fraction of what it cost an unskilled individual without these types of connections.
            - Wife who is independently successful (business owner), who also understands the importance of making money while you sleep. This means a lot of my income can go towards reinvesting/saving. But it means that we spent every evening reading books, doing chores, watering the garden, or talking to each other as opposed to going out to eat, taking vacations, buying things, etc.

So yeah, kind of a spewing vomit of info, but that's how lucky I have been.

Comment

That was incredibly helpful and I really appreciate you taking the time to vomit that info.
              Steve • Toronto
              1991 318is • Brillantrot
              Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Powling View Post
                That was incredibly helpful and I really appreciate you taking the time to vomit that info.
                Definitely.

If you move forward on a similar path feel free to reach out to me via PM to discuss things more in-depth.

Comment

Originally posted by Melon View Post
                  Overall Industry: Oil & Gas

Job: Civil/Structural Designer.

I do 3D modeling of earthwork, concrete and steel structures for refineries and chemical plants for the Gulf South. It's an interesting job, lots of problem solving and developing creative solutions for clients.
                  Same - mostly on the west coast though. I've done some really boring projects over the years, but also some extremely interesting ones. I spent 7 years and something like 9,000 hours working on a marine project in California. I'd do a project like that again in a heart beat.

Then there's the drudgery of T-posts and sleepers. Right now I'm working on a rail project, which is pretty cool - as I haven't had that opportunity before. But that's what keeps it interesting after all these years. Also we're a small company, so I get to do pretty much whatever I want.

Civil/Structural Designer is a weird niche. I think it only really exists in the energy industry.

Prior to that I literally worked as a janitor, graveyard shift, while going to school. That was 6 years of hell, but it had benefits - I still have the money from their 401k plan.

I've done other stuff - web design, machine shops, manufacturing, etc. Not sure if I'll do this forever - we'll see if I get bored. :p
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

@MR E30 325is Good stuff! I plan to turn our current 2/2.5 Townhouse in Inglewood into a rental in a few years. Ive been looking at updating things that MUST be updated and add the most value to the place. I pay extra principal every month to try and build up equity as fast as possible.

I think you're partially lucky, but the discipline and some smart moves got the jump start going. I wont get into specifics, but I know a few people who have excellent circumstances that should have rentals and crazy cashflow coming in each month, but instead they have used their circumstances to live an easier, lazier life... Sure its easy now, but they will likely regret not taking advantage of their circumstances later in life when the situations change.
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:
                    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by Powling View Post
                      Seconded. Thanks for taking the time! I think it’d be harder here in LA, but maybe it’s just that the numbers are bigger than most places. Plus it takes skill to not screw up even if you have some advantages and contacts and prior experience and interest. Witness my suspension fiasco a few weeks back.

Starting early is a HUGE advantage in anything you do. RE investing, school, career, trade - it’s hard to understate how valuable it is to NOT have certain attachments and responsibilities to attend to while pursuing these things just starting out. I feel kind of behind in being able to do RE partly because it’s tough to convince a wife and kids to have a roommate. A duplex would be an easier sell, but that would involve pulling the kids out of school and moving... you get the picture.

Attributed to a Chinese proverb or fortune cookie, idk which: The best time to start was 10 years ago. The second best time to start is right now.

My guess is that I’ll kind of have to do what I’ve done with my mechanic skills, which is to say, bootstrap for a while, pay my dues and hope I don’t lose my shirt in the process.

Last edited by majdomo; 07-25-2019, 01:54 PM.
                      Current flame: E30 318iS Alpinweiss II slicktop / LSD - Joanne
                      The old man: 1970 2002 Polaris(ish) slicktop / rat rod - Wallace
                      The ex: E92 335i 6MT M-Sport - Betty
                      The heavy: 2001 4Runner SR5 Sport (3rd Gen) - Fred

Comment

Sr. Mortgage Banker.

I’m 28 & have been in finance for the last 5 years, my main business is refinancing but help out with the occasional home purchase. One of our R3v brothers actually has a refi in process with one of my colleagues as I type this! If any of you homeowners ever have questions/seeking advice shoot me a PM.
                        sigpic

1999 528it - Daily Driver “Dad Wagon”
                        1991 325is - 2.8L Budget Stroker Garage Slut
                        1991 318is - Sold
                        1986 325 - Sold

Instagram - Lamoursum

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley Rockafella View Post
                          You familiar with Freddie Matera? What are your thoughts on his work?
                          LIVE❋LOVE♥️LEATHER✌❤️🙏🏽💫

He makes mostly high end leather accessories.
                          Not what Leatherman does. Lol This is what we do:

Comment

So, Andrew - both of my kids are obsessed with knives/multitools (not in a creepy serial killer way, but in a healthy boy kind of way). Their favorite tools are their Leatherman Squirts. My oldest lost his at a campout and he cried for like 3 days, lol.

He used his own money to buy a different brand at a scout campout, and even at 9 he knew it was kinda crappy compared to his Leatherman. :)
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I earned a Bachelors in Business. I was a Financial Advisor right out of college, didn't like it much. Hated finding clients. Decided to quit and find something else. Got a job as a Service Advisor at a International diesel dealer. Its been fun to learn about class 8 trucks and how it all works. I will move on to something else eventually, but for now its good fun.

Comment

Student

Just finished my BA in psych at Marquette, going to get my J.D at loyola. now. I've done behavioral therapy with children with autism, plumbing, IT and now over the summer I am a teller.
                                85% of the time i have no idea what I'm doing

Comment

Working...
                                X